Neo

The Sony Pictures Thread | Happy 100th anniversary to Columbia Pictures!

I decided to boycott Sony now, in everything. What they did by pulling out the movie is absolutely scandalous, letting a dictatorship dictate what is good and what is evil, censorship in a democracy is unacceptable, Sony is led by a bunch of cowards!

I hope other people will do the same thing!

I will not be boycotting Sony. Yes, I think it was a mistake to not release it. A mistake made by many, not just Sony, not even primarily Sony. But nonetheless, a mistake based around a very difficult question, one that could be weighing potential safety, money, and other factors against...an ideal.

Now, it's easy for you to be angry and push this ideal. You risk...well, nothing. Don't kid yourself, you have nothing at stake here it's easy for you to say this. If you were risking something in making this decision, would you answer the same? Of course, you'll say yes, I would, no question about it. I don't really believe you, though, given the many circumstances that might come up, you might, you might not, you don't really know. Neither do I for that matter.

So boycott away. I think it's silly though, there are better ways to discuss this issue than pointing fingers at each other and spewing vitriol at one another. Lest you forget who the original, actual victim here was...and yet, that's who you're angry with the most?

• Like 5

I have a feeling that the hackers have some real important information on Sony such as illegal activity which is why Sony pulled The Interview since they would rather loose the money in that and risk going under.  Sony should just hold a press conference and come forward with all there inside information beat North Korea/Hackers. After that North Korea will have nothing else left. 

• Like 1

I have a feeling that the hackers have some real important information on Sony such as illegal activity which is why Sony pulled The Interview since they would rather loose the money in that and risk going under.  Sony should just hold a press conference and come forward with all there inside information beat North Korea/Hackers. After that North Korea will have nothing else left. 

If that was the case, why did they wait...until GoP issued a threat of violence, then wait even more, until theaters decided not to show the film...before canceling it?

They had four weeks to cancel this film.  They had numerous opportunities, chances to stop multiple levels of leaks.  They didn't.  They only canceled it at the point that quite frankly they couldn't release it, because all their distribution partners bailed. 

And this says to you...this is all because they have something to hide?  I'm not really seeing the logic in this particularly line of thought.  You say, let it all out and NK will have nothing left?  Well, yes actually, they will have something left.  The one thing, the ONLY thing that actually caused them to cancel the movie...a threat of violence.  No amount of releasing insider information changes what actually caused this cancellation to happen.

• Like 3

If that was the case, why did they wait...until GoP issued a threat of violence, then wait even more, until theaters decided not to show the film...before canceling it?

They had four weeks to cancel this film. They had numerous opportunities, chances to stop multiple levels of leaks. They didn't. They only canceled it at the point that quite frankly they couldn't release it, because all their distribution partners bailed.

And this says to you...this is all because they have something to hide? I'm not really seeing the logic in this particularly line of thought. You say, let it all out and NK will have nothing left? Well, yes actually, they will have something left. The one thing, the ONLY thing that actually caused them to cancel the movie...a threat of violence. No amount of releasing insider information changes what actually caused this cancellation to happen.

But they could be threatening violence to the U.S. Government. Why wouldn't Sony consult with State department before cancelling the film.
  • Like 1

But they could be threatening violence to the U.S. Government. Why wouldn't Sony consult with State department before cancelling the film.

I'm sure they were. But it's not like the state department was going to change the theaters minds on this. And once the theaters pulled...Sony pulled. Whats the point of releasing the movi if nobody will show it?

I mean really, if they pulled this three weeks ago they would've saved tens of millions. But they kept spending on P&A, in spite of the hacking. Your theory...how does it reconcile with that?

• Like 1

This really is something. I don't know if it was Spatula or Rth, but one of them said months ago that Pascal was bad at her job. However, Sony never fired her. Now, something like this happens, which was completely out of Pascal's control, and she gets fired for it (I know, she technically "stepped down").

This really is something. I don't know if it was Spatula or Rth, but one of them said months ago that Pascal was bad at her job. However, Sony never fired her. Now, something like this happens, which was completely out of Pascal's control, and she gets fired for it (I know, she technically "stepped down").

I think Sony needed a fall person and Pascal was it but she's not completely severing ties as she's getting a production company on the Sony lot. I mentioned this in another thread but I wonder if she'll be replaced or will Michael Lynton run Sony on his own. 

Enlighten me, why the hate for Rothman?

Rothman was ousted from Fox in 2012 after 18 years and a track record at the studio that included the massive hits "Avatar" and "Titanic," both directed by James Cameron.  Rothman also founded and was one of the first presidents of Fox Searchlight, the specialty division that released such Oscar-winning movies as "The Descendants" and "Black Swan.

The biggest decision for Lynton and Pascal’s successor will be how to handle the Spider-Man franchise. “The Amazing Spider-Man 2″ did respectable business last summer but was hardly the $1 billion blockbuster that Pascal had told folks that she needed it to be.

“Spider-Man” remains a cash cow, but the plans for expanding the Spidey universe through villain spinoffs and the next installment may be re-examined — since Pascal played the leading role pursuing that path. A new regime may take a stronger look at returning to the negotiation table with Marvel Studios over Spidey’s rights.

Edited by Clef Ment