Neo

The Sony Pictures Thread | Happy 100th anniversary to Columbia Pictures!

And Sony has another viable franchise with Bad Boys...and they have been short of franchises.

Still don't know how well if the Spideyverse spinoffs can work outside of "Venom" and GHostubsters is a unknown quantiry, but Sony is certainly doing better then it has been.

What is amusing is seeing Rothman getting all the fanboy love;not so long ago fanboys hated him because he "ruined" the X Men.

Edited by dudalb

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/studio-profit-report-2019-disney-reigns-netflix-gains-1281114

Sony: Some big hits, including Once Upon a Time in Hollywood ($374 million globally), and lower expenses helped Sony grow its profit despite flat revenue in the calendar year 2019. Sony reached domestic box office revenue of $1.35 billion, its best showing since 2012, even though its global haul fell below that of 2018. The conglomerate signaled that its TV studio arm was a mixed bag last year, though it didn't break out financial details. It benefited from Netflix hit The Crown, whose season three the studio said boosted financials in the final quarter of 2019. But it had no new season of Better Call Saul in 2019. Plus, in some quarters of 2019 the studio cited "higher development expenses" for TV productions. Sony also boosted profitability by further trimming the portfolio of international TV channels in its media networks segment. It went from 100 channels at the end of 2017 to 76 at year-end 2019.

3 hours ago, eddyxx said:

No Disney will just buy Sony itself.

I'm guessing this is probably a joke but just in case it's not. 

The Japanese government almost certainly wouldn't allow this, recent legislation states that a foreign investors have to notify Japan's finance minister if 1% or more is being invested into certain big companies of which Sony is included and that isn't even for ownership/acquisition which I'm sure would be a more difficult proposition. Japan has always been big about keeping strong local companies Japanese and not being taken over for foreign firms. 

I don't know if Columbia Pictures (and Sony TV for that matter) would be exempt as they are an American division of the company but even if possible that may be hard to get past American DoJ in any case, at least for Disney.

source for recent Japanese law change:https://www.businesstoday.in/current/world/coronavirus-scare-japan-tweaks-fdi-rules-declares-sony-toyota-other-516-firms-core-to-national-security/story/403351.html

Disney, Warner, ViacomCBS and NBCUniversal make a ton of money with cable and network TV channels, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Sony is in that business, which is probably the reason why they didn't enter the streaming wars. The other four were kinda forced to, because otherwise they would just watch their billions in advertising and subscriber revenue go away to the streaming companies. If Sony Entertainment (which doesn't include the game division) were to be separated and sold by the tech Japanese company, would its value even come close to what Fox and Warner were sold for?

53 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Disney, Warner, ViacomCBS and NBCUniversal make a ton of money with cable and network TV channels, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Sony is in that business, which is probably the reason why they didn't enter the streaming wars. The other four were kinda forced to, because otherwise they would just watch their billions in advertising and subscriber revenue go away to the streaming companies. If Sony Entertainment (which doesn't include the game division) were to be separated and sold by the tech Japanese company, would its value even come close to what Fox and Warner were sold for?

Sony does not have their own channels for the most part but they produce a ton of TV content that they own the rights to (Seinfeld, Breaking Bad to name a couple). They're a television giant in terms of production but I think Sony was probably smart to realize that too many streaming services would put them at a disadvantage and they certainly lack in the movie catalog to compete against someone like WB or Disney. Instead, they can play all sides and make a ton of money which is honestly what Viacom should have been doing too, probably.

• Like 1