Olive

Interstellar OS Thread - $470.7M - $648.8M WW

Confused about what? Japan is a unique market but it is only one market. The film is doing great overseas even if it's flopping in Japan.

seeing 600m being thrown around, I felt that there's a confusion as projection for OS or WW total.

ofc, if it's crystal clear to Nolanites that this is going to make 600m OS, without the help of Japan, my bad. 

Confused about what? Japan is a unique market but it is only one market. The film is doing great overseas even if it's flopping in Japan.

Indeed. Interstellar's doing a lot better overseas than I predicted and I predicted it would make around 300m overseas. It's already over 300m and it's not even finished with it's overseas run just yet. Excellent!

Edited by Pokearcher
  • Like 1

So Screendaily reported that figure on Friday so I assume that was Interstellar's cume up to Wednesday. That means the reported figure for Mon-Wed was $15 million. China accounted for $8.5M and SK-$2.95M, $11.45M in total between the two countries. Not much business from other countries it seems.

• Like 2

So Screendaily reported that figure on Friday so I assume that was Interstellar's cume up to Wednesday. That means the reported figure for Mon-Wed was $15 million. China accounted for $8.5M and SK-$2.95M, $11.45M in total between the two countries. Not much business from other countries it seems.

Only $3.5m from everywhere but China and SK seams to low to me. It doesn't look right...

Edited by Henry II of Arendelle

Only $3.5m from everywhere but China and SK seems to low to me. It doesn't look right...

SK and China gross is true, so either screendaily reported it wrong, or late legs are bad in other territories. 

Japan I'm guessing may have grossed $1M or so, so it would mean around $2.5M from the remaining territories. 

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 1

SK and China gross is true, so either screendaily reported it wrong, or late legs are bad in other territories. 

Japan I'm guessing may have grossed $1M or so, so it would mean around $2.5M from the remaining territories.

That's why I am saying that it's too low. Interstellar did more than $2.5m from Monday to Wednesday only in the 5 markets that give a week report on Thursday (Italy+Australia+HK+Russia+Mexico)

I'm sorry, but how is Edge Of Tomorrow realistic? I think it's more akin to time loop & military fantasy. More flashy, bigger Groundhog Day + Starship Troopers. And if realistic & space type films are, as you say, always popular in Korea, why didn't they love Sunshine, The Moon, Mission To Mars etc? 

And what you know about Korea isn't like my thoughts. Of course Korean students are very smart and often win at science competition. But personally I don't think it results from Korean's pure interest and affection for science. I guess it results from great fervor for education. Often Korean people say their country is "entrance examination republic." So many Korean students wanna go to special-purpose high school, then prestigious college and they believe that's the certain key to successful life. Winning science competition is valid qualification for entrance examination too. And actually poor treatment of basic science is one of continuous social issues in Korea. Even there was a time when companies avoided employment of natural science and engineering majors. Now situations are improved and they can get a job easier than humanities student, but that's applied to just job market. People who are engage in natural science and engineering field like professional scientists are still hungry for interest and affection.

Then why is Interstellar big hit in Korea? Well I don't know exactly. But I can guess some reasons. First of all, Korean audiences immensely admire epic films. 10-15 years ago, they made many local mainstream movies that inspired by Hollywood blockbusters called "Hankookhyung Blockbuster." (some of them are great hits like Shiri and JSA, but many of them are miserable failures.) Even now, I can see comments from some Korean netizen like "I don't wanna see our movies which look like home drama in cinema. I wanna see huge, spectacular Hollywood movies in IMAX!" Sure, It's not that every single blockbuster succeeds in Korea. Then think about the reason why people love Nolan. Unlike any other blockbusters which give just mindless and frivolous spectacle, his films offer serious, thought-provoking entertainment. This time Interstellar's cerebral concept whips up public interest. Actually the movie's not that hard to understand or philosophically profound, but some people in Korea consider it as astrophysics course or art-house film. That's interesting situation. Also the movie is tear-jerking melodrama about love. Korean love that type of films. So eventually Interstellar is sum of the most favorable elements to Korean people. 

I live in Korea now and face various aspects of Korean society everyday. So I think my opinion isn't thoroughly absurd. Anyway my point is, Korean audiences love Interstellar not because they're realistic SF geek or they're having great interest in science. They love the movie because it's cerebral, epic melodrama which directed by Nolan.

being a Korean myself, I find some of the reasons behind it exploding from the intellectual vanity factor and the peer pressure that people actually feel pressured to see whatever is considered a cultural phenomenon. It's something more than just a movie having a good WOM.

• Like 1

And no way is this reaching $700M WW. I think a lot of these box office statisticians project numbers for the OS gross as a single lump instead of looking at individual countries. Local films are expected to kill Interstellar next week in China and SK doesn't have much left in the tank. Exodus is being released this week in a few OS territories too.  

Edited by Rsyu

And no way is this reaching $700M WW. I think a lot of these box office statisticians project numbers for the OS gross as a single lump instead of looking at individual countries. Local films are expected to kill Interstellar next week in China and SK doesn't have much left in the tank. Exodus is being this week in a few OS territories too.

625 is the number I'd like to see. That is bigger than Gravity's admissions.

• Like 1