Olive

Interstellar OS Thread - $470.7M - $648.8M WW

What?

I think 650M is locked.

another 30M from DOM.

And another 80M from OS markets.

Hmm...I really cannot see where another 80M will come from. The only possibility was China making a bulk of that but its going to lose almost all of its screens in the coming week.

Going from numbers from deadline and the various INT BO threads here, out of the $65M OS gross the past week

China grossed $24M

South Korea grossed $10.5M

UK grossed $3.75M

Russia grossed $2M

Australia grossed $2.295M

Germany grossed $2.1M

France grossed $2.2M

Japan grossed $3M

Italy grossed $1.4M

The total from the above territories comes to around $51M so $14M or so from the remaining territories. This week in China, 2 local films (The crossing and a romance flick) will take most of the screens from interstellar. In South Korea exodus takes all of the 15 IMAX screens from Interstellar (which means it will be basically losing 75~135 showtimes per day that were continuously 80% full). So the two biggest OS territories for IS will experience the sharpest drops. 

• Like 5

The drop OS will be huge next weekend. It should fall around Gravity number, or 440m. So 625 WW is a good bet. Very good number and a a great rebound after the mild start.

About 80-100mil less than Inception OS, still great.

Still a great progress after the mild start, at least it has crossed half of a billion.

Edited by Michael89
  • Like 2

'Interstellar' charts course in China to become No. 2 import of 2014

Interstellar” rocketed past the $100-million mark in China last week and is charting a course to be the second-highest grossing imported film of 2014.

Christopher Nolan’s space epic added nearly $23.3 million to its haul in the seven days ending Sunday, data from film industry consulting firm Artisan Gateway showed Tuesday. The Warner Bros. film has now grossed nearly $109.8 million on the mainland.

Rance Pow, president of Artisan, said the movie is likely to soar past “X-Men: Days of Future Past” and “Captain America: Winter Soldier” – both of which earned about $118 million in China this year – to claim the No. 2 box office spot of the year for foreign films.

“Transformers: Age of Extinction” holds the box office crown in China this year and is the top-grossing film of all time in the territory, with more than $300 million in receipts.

Read the rest of the article at: http://www.latimes.com/world/asia/la-et-ct-interstellar-100-million-china-20141202-story.html

• Like 3

I don't understand where the whole "mild start" thing I'm seeing here comes from...Domestically, sure. And its late legs are helping it save face there. But internationally? I'd say it had a great start and has held solidly throughout. 

• Like 1

I don't understand where the whole "mild start" thing I'm seeing here comes from...Domestically, sure. And its late legs are helping it save face there. But internationally? I'd say it had a great start and has held solidly throughout. 

Exactly!, it had a good OW in many international markets. As a Sci-Fi film it was never gonna breakout in latin markets. I still think a US$650m is a great number for it to finish with  :) .

• Like 1

I think maybe it will be like this

Last week OS - Mon~Wed: $15M, weekly: $65M

Total - Domestic: $147M, OS: $395.2M

This week OS - Mon~Wed: $12M, weekly gross projection: $40M 

Projected total by the end of the week: Domestic-158M OS, $435M

$593M worldwide. 

I was really surprised that the OS gross this week for Monday to Wednesday was only down by 20% compared to last week. If we extrapolate the weekly gross from the Mon-Wed figure of last week (X4.33) this week's OS gross would be around $50M. That seems like too much though and I don't know where the money would be coming from so I'm going with a lower figure of $40M. $10M from China, $6M from South Korea and $25M from the rest (the same ratio of China+Korea:OS as last week). Exodus opened in several OS markets too which should affect it unlike last week where there were no big releases.

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 5

'Interstellar' has now earned $434.4 million overseas ($119M in China, $67M in South Korea): http://bit.ly/1zC8aie 

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $158,657,000    26.8%Foreign:  $434,400,000    73.2% = Worldwide:  $593,057,000  

Rsyu, well guessed.

• Like 1