Olive

Interstellar OS Thread - $470.7M - $648.8M WW

Interstellar added $28.8 million WW during the past week

Domestic market accounted for $8.4 million

China added $4 million 

South Korea added $4.5 million

The remaining territories accounted for the remaining $12 million or so. Last week the gross from the territories excluding SK & China was $25 million so this week is a 51% drop off from that number. With The battle of the five armies opening in more major territories in the upcoming week it's unlikely that holds improve. In this case I foresee $10 million or so from domestic, $3-4 million from south korea and $11 million from remaining territories. $640 million worldwide looks like a safe bet but $650 million looks difficult.  

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 1

I bet it makes more than $10m domestic. That's the absolute worst case scenario. More likely is closer to $15m.

Unless I'm mistaken, during the past week Interstellar made $8.4 million dropping 26.3% from the previous week ($11.41 million) with Exodus providing fresh competition. Interstellar faces TH3 in the upcoming week and without IMAX to boost numbers. On average, it would need to drop 35% or less weekly for the remainder of it's run to reach $15M. I'm not all that familiar with the domestic market but this seems a bit difficult to me. 

Unless I'm mistaken, during the past week Interstellar made $8.4 million dropping 26.3% from the previous week ($11.41 million) with Exodus providing fresh competition. Interstellar faces TH3 in the upcoming week and without IMAX to boost numbers. On average, it would need to drop 35% or less weekly for the remainder of it's run to reach $15M. I'm not all that familiar with the domestic market but this seems a bit difficult to me. 

Just compare to Thor 2, which had rubbish legs compared to Interstellar. Both released on pretty much the same day and both faced a Hunger Games sequel in weekend #3. Thor 2 after weekend #6 made another $8m. Interstellar has been running well ahead of it (95% if estimate holds this weekend). Before that it was running 60-70% ahead in daily numbers for quite some time.

I think something like $13m is very much in play. That puts it right at $180m total. In order for it to make $10m, it would have to drop from 95% ahead of Thor 2's dailies this weekend to just 25% ahead for the rest of its run. Even the loss of IMAX will not lead to this in all likelihood. That's why I say $10m is the worst case scenario.

This. Its domestic performance is lacking, but OS has been superb, especially for a 3 hour long 2D movie without any major international superstar drawing power. WB must be well pleased with the deal they made with Paramount. 

Reaching $150-160mil DOM for a pure sci-fi is already great for me, and reaching another milestone in OS, which the gap is less than $100mil between IS and Inception, that's even superb!

WB finally updated it. $470.7m as of 12/28. So that's $6.7m from Sunday to Sunday. Less than a 25% drop from the $9m it made the previous week. Final resting place could be something like $480m overseas and $190m domestic. $670m worldwide is not too shabby at all.

I'd adore a $190m domestic cum. For whatever reason, I'm optimistic that this will get a best picture notational and, hopefully, an IMAX re-release.

I'd adore a $190m domestic cum. For whatever reason, I'm optimistic that this will get a best picture notational and, hopefully, an IMAX re-release.

If that happens, then $200m is actually on the table. Right now it is running close to 4.6 times bigger than Thor 2's dailies. Needs 3.10 times bigger than Thor 2 dailies for the rest of its run to hit $190m. Very much in play at the moment. Curious to see how it will hold up in January when new releases take screens away.

• Like 1