grim22

My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 | March 25 2016 | Script by Nia Vardalos. John Corbett returning. Kirk Jones directing.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/11/12/my-big-fat-greek-wedding-2-trailer-tops-social-media/

'My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2' Trailer Tops Social Media 24 Hours Later

But I did happen to notice that My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 is currently the top-trending topic on Facebook right now as of 9:00 am this morning. That’s interesting, since Universal dropped the first trailer 24 hours ago.

Liked the trailer. Not in a bad way, but totally reminded me of my extended family on my mom's side.

When this was announced, I never told her. I wanted to surprise her when the first trailer came out (MBFGW is one of her all-time favourite movies that's kind of a bonding thing for her and her sisters). I wish I had filmed it, because her reaction was hilarious.

"No! NO! Stop joking! This isn't real! Turn it off! Wait, is this real? IS THIS REAL? Wait I have to get the phone!"

• Like 6

5 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/11/12/my-big-fat-greek-wedding-2-trailer-tops-social-media/

Have heard some real world buzz already. Perhaps we're all underestimating this? It may be good for a solid 150m or so. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

This is a fundamental misunderstanding of how Facebook trending works. Facebook trending is not like Twitter in that it is "of the moment", Facebook is "of the past day". If you look at the Facebook trends right now, most of them are things which happened yesterday. It just takes time for things to build to a critical mass on Facebook as people discover things and post about it opposed to the immediacy of Twitter.

It is also tailored to people's likes, so everyone can see different things trending on their page

Trending shows you topics that have recently become popular on Facebook. The topics you see are based on a number of factors including engagement, timeliness, Pages you've liked and your location.

This looks even flimsier than the first movie but it really doesn't look all that bad, to my surprise.

Either way, it truly will be fascinating to see how much this drops off from the first movie, especially with so much time passing (I was a junior in college when it came out, wut). That film was a true "lightning in a bottle/one moment in time" kind of surprise sensation that could never be duplicated. The best this can probably hope for is a total of around $75M, and even that will make for an astronomical drop-off without even factoring inflation in.

7 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

It'll never happen but I kinda wish it would just replicate the original's BO run to the T.

Yeah, that will for sure never happen, for anything.  Even if it were to somehow retain all of the firsts audience, it would still be a VERY different looking run. Would be something like a 50m OW followed by a 6x multi.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Box Office Hit said:

eRaaF7R.jpg

Good God...don't these movie studios have millions of dollars for marketing at their disposal? You'd think some of that would go towards a decent graphic designer and a decent Photoshop artist who don't make these ridiculously fake-looking posters. Look at Vardalos' face atop that clearly-not-hers body. Look at her right hand. Look at the overall design. They did make enough money from the first movie to hire a semi-decent artist...

• Like 2

I think a total similar to The Intern ($75M) is the best this can hope for. And it's really amazing how there would two sides to looking at it: on one hand I'm sure it'll end up profitable no matter what since the budget certainly wasn't very high, but on the other, that's gonna make for one hell of an ugly drop-off.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Both. I say it does around 130-150, which is technically amazing for it while still have a horrendous 65% admissions drop from the first. 

Now watch this do 80M OW and then leg it's way to 300DOM.

That would be the day.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I think a total similar to The Intern ($75M) is the best this can hope for. And it's really amazing how there would two sides to looking at it: on one hand I'm sure it'll end up profitable no matter what since the budget certainly wasn't very high, but on the other, that's gonna make for one hell of an ugly drop-off.

It's too good of counter-programming to BvS for 75 to be the best it can hope for. There will be some curiosity here, 42m worth of admissions for the first isn't just going to mean nothing. I would be surprised if it misses 100 honestly. Just look at Sisters as TFA's counter-programming, and TFA arguably had way more female appeal than BvS will. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It's too good of counter-programming to BvS for 75 to be the best it can hope for. There will be some curiosity here, 42m worth of admissions for the first isn't just going to mean nothing. I would be surprised if it misses 100 honestly. Just look at Sisters as TFA's counter-programming, and TFA arguably had way more female appeal than BvS will. 

The 42M worth of admissions didn't even stick around for the continuation on the TV show just a year later. There will definitely be a lot of people back to watch this, but I think it will fall into the "We will watch it when we have time" than a "Need  to watch it asap on OW". MBFGW was pretty much a product which succeeded at that specific period in time, and once that run was over it faded away way too quickly.