grim22

My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 | March 25 2016 | Script by Nia Vardalos. John Corbett returning. Kirk Jones directing.

People were seeking comfort food at a time when the nation was still reeling from 9/11. The first movie no doubt benefitted from that. A true "one moment in time" kind of sensation.

Speaking of the failed sitcom, I wonder if this will acknowledge its existence in any way given that John Corbett didn't return for it.

• Like 1

It's kind of like releasing JW 2 years after JP3 opposed to 14 years. It would have likely flopped opposed to being one of the biggest grossers ever. Not that I'm saying this will be a JW obviously, but the long wait helps in this case. I think there will be a curiosity factor, which combined with the good counter-programming release date gets it to at least 100. 

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It's kind of like releasing JW 2 years after JP3 opposed to 14 years. It would have likely flopped opposed to being one of the biggest grossers ever. Not that I'm saying this will be a JW obviously, but the long wait helps in this case. I think there will be a curiosity factor, which combined with the good counter-programming release date gets it to at least 100. 

Nah, a Jurassic Park 2 14 years later would've still been big. My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 is a total question mark, other than that a big drop-off is guaranteed. The movie obviously hasn't lingered in pop culture (as witnessed by the failure of the sitcom just a year after the film opened), and the actors are all irrelevant now (Vardalos' career has perplexingly slipped into total nothingness).

• Like 1

On 1/14/2016 at 5:08 PM, filmlover said:

Nah, a Jurassic Park 2 14 years later would've still been big. My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 is a total question mark, other than that a big drop-off is guaranteed. The movie obviously hasn't lingered in pop culture (as witnessed by the failure of the sitcom just a year after the film opened), and the actors are all irrelevant now (Vardalos' career has perplexingly slipped into total nothingness).

I meant Jurassic World 2 years after JP3 instead of 14. The wait helped immensely for a franchise that wasn't cared about that much anymore. Only reason I brign that up is because I believe the wait also helps this. If it had been released 2-4 years after the first I would have said major flop, but now I think there will actually be enough nostalgia and interest for at least 100+ to happen. 

• Like 1

This thread was buried on page 6. :o Feel that buzz! :D

Anywho, I just saw the weirdest promo for this. It was a Windex ad featuring two talking ravens who urged viewers to watch MBFGW2 to see the window cleaner used the "right" way. A scene with one of the characters using Windex was shown. 

Talk about extreme product placement.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Talkie said:

This thread was buried on page 6. :o Feel that buzz! :D

Anywho, I just saw the weirdest promo for this. It was a Windex ad featuring two talking ravens who urged viewers to watch MBFGW2 to see the window cleaner used the "right" way. A scene with one of the characters using Windex was shown. 

Talk about extreme product placement.

Damn.  I refuse to watch this film just to find out if I'm using Windex the wrong way.  I'll wait for spoilers. 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2016 at 7:01 PM, MovieMan89 said:

Not sure if there is a loyal audience for this sequence. Reminds me of Avatar. I don't see the franchise retaining stickiness with a core audience/faithful following. 

$25/$90m