Rorschach

Rorschach Reviews Y9 (Top 25 Time!)

October Reviews Part 2: The So/So Result

Cybernetic 7

Yeah, it didn't really have to be 2 1/2 hours long and it's length is definitely evident in some of the slower scenes as well. But DAAAMMMNNNN, this movie is pretty bad-ass. The animation is stunning, the action is intense, and the characters and story are fairly fun to get into. Should definitely be a big contender for Best Animated Film (why shouldn't it be).

A-/B+

An Odd Roadtrip

-_- Well its at least more enjoyable than the next film.

C

Silent Invasion 4: The Final Chapter

How is it even possible to make an apocalyptic movie, make it in 3D and still only have a budget of $15 million? Making the effects and production values shitty as hell. A bad ending to a not so-good franchise. Seems fitting enough.

D

The Hateful Eight Redux

Definitely the film I was the most excited for all year 'round. And it pays off greatly for the most part. For the most part. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot to enjoy in this film. The jokes for the most part hit bullseyes, the parodic personalities of the directors are fun to watch and laugh at, and the cast are all wonderfully chosen for the most part. It's style though does rub off towards the begining of the second act though and like before, not all of its jokes hit their marks and some of them just come off as WAY too obvious at times. Overall though, Hateful Eight is a great satirical look at Hollywood in all of its Michael Bay explosive glory! :D

B+

• Like 1

October Reviews Part 2: The So/So Result

Cybernetic 7

Yeah, it didn't really have to be 2 1/2 hours long and it's length is definitely evident in some of the slower scenes as well. But DAAAMMMNNNN, this movie is pretty bad-ass. The animation is stunning, the action is intense, and the characters and story are fairly fun to get into. Should definitely be a big contender for Best Animated Film (why shouldn't it be).

A-/B+

Best Animated Film? Don't underestimate it! I'm going for Best Picture, dammit! 

(Mostly under the theory that if I can get an animated movie about Mechs at least nominated for BP, I've effectively won CAYOM. But also, I did put a hell of a lot of work into it and I think it turned out really well. Especially some of the character exploration and development.) 

Edited by Rukaio Alter
  • Like 1

I think at this point Cybernetic 7, Sir Thymes and Scrooge are locked for Best Animated Feature. BP we'll see.

Aye. And at the moment, unless there are any other major animations I've forgotten about, I suspect Me & My Shadow and Log Horizon will take the remaining two spots. Beast of Loch Ness may have a chance if people who are not me end up enjoying it.

I'm probably going to do the same pre-Oscar predictions/analysis I did last year, once we get a few Top 25 lists in, so I'll talk about it more then.

• Like 1

(Mostly under the theory that if I can get an animated movie about Mechs at least nominated for BP, I've effectively won CAYOM. But also, I did put a hell of a lot of work into it and I think it turned out really well. Especially some of the character exploration and development.) 

There's some crazy stuff from the old CAYOM.

I didn't start playing until Year 12, but in Year 6, an anime-style film about former teenage female superheros grown up and forced to fight again won BP in a very controversial result that essentially caused the big-time heavyweight of the early years to get angry, upset, and after a couple more game years leave entirely.

That film was made by RySenkari, who played the first few years of the new CAYOM here before life took over his time.

:ph34r:

November Reviews Part 1: Pretty Damn Good

Hellsing

Pretty standard Horror/Action flick. Doesn't try to be anything else or anything different. It's what it should be, a good time at the movies,

B

Attack on Titan

DAMMIT Rukaio, I was gonna watch the show before but I never got to it! Now it's all ruined! RUINED I SAY! Eh, fuck it. This is perhaps the one CAYOM film this year that kept me reading and pinned to the screen on my iPad from begining to end. It's that freakin' awesome. Out of the two films you've released this quarter that deal mostly on Sci-Fi, this is probably (in my opinion) better than Cybernetic 7. The characters are all interesting and you can relate to them incredibly well, the action is intense, gripping, and does not shy away from some grotesque moments. I'm actually kinda shocked you didn't make it R instead of PG-13 because I certainly would've.

Back on track, Attack on Titan is perhaps one of, if not the best of all the blockbusters this year, so far :ph34r: . Expect it to make it somewhere in my Top 5 this year. If not, I definitely might have brain damage.

Sidenote: (I went easy this year with my films but next year, I'm not holding back. Period. I'm coming for your all. Better watch your back.)

A+/A

WatchDogs

All hacking and no character make Watchdogs a dull movie (28,000 lines later...) AlL HaCkINg AnD NO ChARaCtEr make wAtChDoGs A dUlL mOvIe.

B-

A Midsummer Night's Dream

Why Alpha?! Why must you always be me to the ideas I have for films?! WHY???!!! In all fairness though, this is a fairly good adaption of the play. Not job Alpha.

B+

• Like 1

November Reviews Part 2: The Day the movies were Okay...

A Series of Unfortunate Events: Movie the Fifth

WHEN WILL IT END?!

C-

The Beast of Loch Ness

Just a really boring film that really does not tell a complete story.

C

The Special Effects Team

Not much to say. Fairly funny concept. Could probably see it happen in real life.

B-

The Little Drummer Boy

Fairly harmless and good hearted (even if its target demographic isn't specifically me). I think this film though washes the bad aftertaste of Kansas out of my mouth. Thanks Alpha.

B/B+

Edited by Rorschach McMighty

December Reviews Part 1: Now that's what I'm talking about!

The Battle for Brazil

Damn! Dat shit was good ;). In all seriousness, this is a fairly well crafted film with some down-to-earth performances that are very Oscar-worthy (Particularly McGregor as Gilliam). At first I was very skeptical of how the portrayal of Brian Cox's character (forgot the name :lol:) was going to be handled but after reading it, it seems that he really is sort of a sympathetic character even though he kind of is the bad guy. You can't really blame him for all the stuff he puts Gilliam through, he's simply trying to do what he feels is right and I like it when we can sympathize with an antagonist. Expect this to be nominated for some oscars this year.

A

Suicide is Painless

Delightful, heartfelt, and hilarious. Not much else to say.

A

The House of Arteus

I'm going to be kicking myself if The Odyssey turns out to be shit but if this film proves anything, it's that Greek mythology is going to be VERY prominent in the next few years of Cayom. Let the games begin ;).

A-

• Like 2

December Reviews Part 2: The Not So Epic Finale

Because The Internet

I feel like Alpha just slapped this together and presented this to us just to get a laugh out of our reactions. My reaction- WTSF is an understatement after seeing this.

C

Beauty and the Beast

My opinion towards this film is kind of, ironically, very much like Yzma (except better :)). It has a lot of shining moments that make it incredibly fun to sit through but when it's all said and done, it doesn't really do too much to differentiate itself from the it's original counterpart. Again, it's not that it's particularly bad but it just doesn't feel "different" per say and doesn't bring much new to the table. Now that being said, this film is very enjoyable. Michael Fassbender, Chris Pratt, and John Hurt are my favorites out of the cast, especially Fassbender who was picked oh so perfectly as The Beast. The Production Design and overall effects are spectacularly done (Oscar nom for The Beast and all the other CGI characters is a definite possibility) like Yzma except this is done with more style and a lot more interesting things to look at. B&TB is overall fun though very familiar.

B

The Once and Future King: The Ill-made Knight

Not much to say other than its okay. The fact that it's a C&P hurts it a lot though.

B-

And thus, another year concludes for Rorschach Reviews. I will be working on a Top 25 best and a Top 25 Worst tonight and tomorrow. This has been a fun year guys and I'm super pumped to see what content and more importantly, what creativity you have in store. I'm Rorschach McMighty, Peace the Fuck out!

• Like 1