kayumanggi

OUIJA: ORIGIN OF EVIL | 10.21.16 | Universal | final domestic gross: $34,992,970

I just saw this, it's better than the first and has quite a few things going for it but it's so fucking cliche and boring. I gave the first movie a 2/10, this one gets a 4/10. If your movie is cheap, please don't use CGI, it looks awful and ends up looking hilarious rather than scary, the sequence where the girl gets possessed is hysterical. The biggest problem I have is that anytime the movie threatens to become scary and intense, the sequence just ends, it feels like they didn't really want to make a horror film. Every time something happens, it lasts about 10 seconds then cuts away.

The family drama started out interesting but soon gets tiresome. If you've seen the original you know how it's all going to end anyway.

The look of the film is nice, the old Universal Logo, old title card, it looks and feels very 60s. Some jump scares work well and it does have some creepy imagery. The characters start off as likeable but you soon grow tired of them. The relationship in the movie is just painful to watch.

Ouija: Origin Of Evil feels like every single horror movie we have seen recently thrown into a blender. I listened to a podcast after watching this film, in the podcast someone asked what horror cliche are you sick of, while listening I realised that every single cliche they complained about happens in this movie, over and over again.

The screening I went to had about 20 other people in it.

• Like 1

90% on RT. Reviewers are speaking. It is higher than Conjuring, Conjuring 2, Lights Out or Don't Breathe. Flanagan Da Gawd slaying. What a time to be alive.

Faux God Wingard can sink in his Blair Witch sequel. Flanagan is here to stay. And Sandberg will deliver with Annabelle 2 as well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CJohn said:

90% on RT. Reviewers are speaking. It is higher than Conjuring, Conjuring 2, Lights Out or Don't Breathe. Flanagan Da Gawd slaying. What a time to be alive.

Faux God Wingard can sink in his Blair Witch sequel. Flanagan is here to stay. And Sandberg will deliver with Annabelle 2 as well.

Come on, look at the average rating. It's getting a pass by most critics where other movies with the same rating wouldn't.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Come on, look at the average rating. It's getting a pass by most critics where other movies with the same rating wouldn't.

6.5 average right now.

Lights Out - 6.3/10

Conjuring 2 - 6.7/10

Pretty much on the same level as these two. Don't Breathe has a 7.1. Average seems pretty good to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boxofficerules said:

They hired someone who knew how to use the copy and paste function.

I haven't seen it yet, but I thought the trailer looked good...and then when I found out it was Mike Flanagan directing, I had high hopes. I can't comment to your copy and paste function re: Ouija 2, but I can say that Flanagan has written and edited every movie he's directed so far, and he's a master craftsman beyond just about any horror director working today. Copy and paste doesn't even register for me with his past work (Oculus, Hush, Absentia, even Before I Wake) because the craft is so high and the editing so sharp, which really elevates his films. I think with Hush and this film, he put in the work where there was work to be done and did so effectively, and now he will hopefully get to direct his next truly original film. I'm with @CJohn all the way on Flanagan. He's proven himself so these reviews don't surprise me at all.

• Like 1

Chris Stuckmann, perhaps the one YT (and maybe in general) critic I wholeheartedly trust, called it "one of the best horror sequels [it's actually a prequel tho] ever made" (which isn't saying much but it's something) and gave it an A.

Yup. Ouija 2 is good. Hear me saying that: FUCKING OUIJA 2 IS ACTUALLY GOOD. Flanagan is officially a God.

• Like 1