AniNate

Joy | David O. Russell | Christmas 2015 | New Trailer on Page 20!

On 29/12/2015 at 2:17 AM, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I just want to know if JLaw can now be considered a draw, or ppl still have doubts about her star power? :ph34r: 

There's no such thing as an actor being a draw, appealing movies sell regardless of who's the star and all an actor can do is bring media attention to a movie (which isn't really worth much if you can't get Oscar nominations anyway). Historically it's actually been a director's name which has sold a movie and Joy is actually underwhelming for David O. Russell, it'll certainly be his least profitable movie in a long time.

At the very least though this can be considered a success, so everyone comes out looking okay, even if the box office and awards hype is lower than what would have been expected.

43 minutes ago, A District 3 Engineer said:

I don't get why critics are hating this. When you search on twitter i.e. you read a lot of people saying that the movie is great, inspirational, funny, emotional...

6.6 on imdb which is quite bad

I am officially off the Jlaw love train. Saw it yesterday and it was awful. Just a dull, dull movie, anchored by a drab, phoned-in performance from Lawrence. That being said, I am still looking forward to Passengers.

Edited by Cochofles

6 hours ago, Caesar said:

There's no such thing as an actor being a draw, appealing movies sell regardless of who's the star and all an actor can do is bring media attention to a movie (which isn't really worth much if you can't get Oscar nominations anyway). Historically it's actually been a director's name which has sold a movie and Joy is actually underwhelming for David O. Russell, it'll certainly be his least profitable movie in a long time.

That's true for the really big hitmakers like Cameron, Spielberg, Nolan etc but not for someone like DOR. American Hustle, Silver Linings and the Fighter had big casts filled with famous faces, great reviews and a ton of free marketing from oscar buzz. Joy has none of this things. I doubt even 5% of the people who went to see Hustle have any idea who David O Russell is.

Nobody is saying JLaw is a draw in the same way that Julia Roberts or Meg Ryan were in the 90s, but this movie with the kind of reception it has it would struggle to make 20M total with lets say Amy Adams as the lead.

3 hours ago, Cochofles said:

I am officially off the Jlaw love train. Saw it yesterday and it was awful. Just a dull, dull movie, anchored by a drab, phoned-in performance from Lawrence. That being said, I am still looking forward to Passengers.

This is my favorite J-Law performance. Her monologue after she signs the form killed me.

3 hours ago, Joel M said:

That's true for the really big hitmakers like Cameron, Spielberg, Nolan etc but not for someone like DOR. American Hustle, Silver Linings and the Fighter had big casts filled with famous faces, great reviews and a ton of free marketing from oscar buzz. Joy has none of this things. I doubt even 5% of the people who went to see Hustle have any idea who David O Russell is.

Nobody is saying JLaw is a draw in the same way that Julia Roberts or Meg Ryan were in the 90s, but this movie with the kind of reception it has it would struggle to make 20M total with lets say Amy Adams as the lead.

I think you'll find that people on here are trying to suggest that she is draw like that, hilariously it doesn't seem to matter how low the projections for the box office go. First it was that the story was hard to sell but she saved it, then it became that no one could sell the movie and she's the only one who could do this well.

Never mind that Wahlberg managed to lead a movie about an unpopular war that had been considered box office poison to be a big success, never mind that Bullock led a space movie that spends most of its time focused on one person stranded in space to be a massive success. The real draw is the actress who took an inspirational true story about a self made success and somehow managed to fail to sell it to audiences (ironically unlike the woman she played in the movie who was actually able to sell a product to an audience).

It's weird, I have no problem with this movie, it seems like a nice movie but the bizarre attempt to declare Lawrence a draw (when no actor at the moment has shown the ability to sell all movie's and everyone manages to have box office failures) is annoying.

Edit: I really don't like how much I've been negative about this movie in reaction to it's box office so this will be my last post focusing on the negatives of this movie. I will start by saying once more that at the very least this was a minor success and it's always good to see a movie make a profit at the box office.

Edited by Caesar
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Caesar said:

I think you'll find that people on here are trying to suggest that she is draw like that, hilariously it doesn't seem to matter how low the projections for the box office go. First it was that the story was hard to sell but she saved it, then it became that no one could sell the movie and she's the only one who could do this well.

Never mind that Wahlberg managed to lead a movie about an unpopular war that had been considered box office poison to be a big success, never mind that Bullock led a space movie that spends most of its time focused on one person stranded in space to be a massive success. The real draw is the actress who took an inspirational true story about a self made success and somehow managed to fail to sell it to audiences (ironically unlike the woman she played in the movie who was actually able to sell a product to an audience).

It's weird, I have no problem with this movie, it seems like a nice movie but the bizarre attempt to declare Lawrence a draw (when no actor at the moment has shown the ability to sell all movie's and everyone manages to have box office failures) is annoying.

Edit: I really don't like how much I've been negative about this movie in reaction to it's box office so this will be my last post focusing on the negatives of this movie. I will start by saying once more that at the very least this was a minor success and it's always good to see a movie make a profit at the box office.

But you seem predisposed to insist that she is not a draw. A patriotic war movie about Afghanistan, Lone Survivor, was "box office poison"? And I'm sure that explains American Sniper, about an even less popular war. Then you actually are trying to compare Joy to Gravity?Wouldn't the much better Bullock comparison be Our Brand Is In Crisis. Because that is a much better comparison to Joy than an effects driven space movie. And that film made $7 million total. 

Joy is an eccentric DOR film (yes redundant) with mixed reviews that is still managing to make money based on the lead actress, whose reviews are great and whose performance is carrying this movie. That is the only thing selling this film, which btw I think is my favorite DOR film but critics came out with their long knives. I agree that the idea of a "draw" is limited. Certain types of films will sell more than others, and films like Joy generally need strong reviews and awards consideration. But itn is still chugging along.   

• Like 1

Our Brand Is Crisis had far worse reviews than Joy and was dumped on a weekend (Halloween) where no one was going to pay any attention to movies. Joy was a major Christmas Day release where movies usually find at least some level of an audience, and had a fairy aggressive marketing campaign. Not a good comparison for the most part.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Our Brand Is Crisis had far worse reviews than Joy and was dumped on a weekend (Halloween) where no one was going to pay any attention to movies. Joy was a major Christmas Day release where movies usually find at least some level of an audience, and had a fairy aggressive marketing campaign. Not a good comparison for the most part.

Still a much, muich better comparison than Gravity. And it opened in over 2000 theaters and it had its share of advertising in a much less competitive market. The type of film is similar and that is what can happen. 

39 minutes ago, angeldelmito said:

fux what the haters say, i liked it.

shoulda stayed fresh on RT imo

I really liked it too. The critical response was very curious. Seemed like they were being extra critical. It should have had reviews like Hateful Eight, some things worked better than others, but overall worth seeing. Instead it was if it isn't great it is therefore bad. And the thing that stuck out was the way the film was suddenly being criticized for being a Russell film, messy, etc. Like Tarantino he has a particular style that critics should expect. Hopefully the Academy likes it better and it keeps finding an audience.

Edited by straggler
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, RichWS said:

I didn't see American Hustle in theaters, either. Based on my experience with Russell's work and what others have said, I don't exactly feel I'm missing out on the movie of the year here.

I think Lawrence had the best performance of the year though. She won't win anything for it, but it was damned good. 

• Like 1