CaptainJackSparrow

Sonic the Hedgehog | Paramount | Feb 14 2020 | Visionary Auteur Tim Miller to produce | See Sonic's new plastic surgery on page 58

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

Pikachu doing almost $431m WW coming off the heels of the biggest movie ever is nothing to scoff at. It easily would have done more in a different slot.

That and Shazam both opening near Endgame was an idiotic move. Pikachu could've worked in August against Hobbs and Shaw. 

I think this will do very well. The improved graphics between trailers earned a lot of good will, even I want to see it now. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Fury Road flopped according to Hollywood accounting tho. Also @Movies4Life, Alita didn't break even. If we use the 50/40/25% rule, Alita made about 20 mil less than its production budget. Home video sales have also been low so ancillaries probably weren't that high either. 

It may have flopped, or broken even (actually), but, it still won awards at the Oscars.

56 minutes ago, Movies4Life said:

It may have flopped, or broken even (actually), but, it still won awards at the Oscars.

I was talking about the financial aspect right? Plus outside of Deadpool and Fury Road, every movie he's scored also has had negative to mixed reviews. If you ask me, it's clear that there's a trend that he's taken terrible projects outside of two instances.

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I was talking about the financial aspect right? Plus outside of Deadpool and Fury Road, every movie he's scored also has had negative to mixed reviews. If you ask me, it's clear that there's a trend that he's taken terrible projects outside of two instances.

Well, the best we can hope for is that Sonic gets mixed to fresh reviews (60% on Rotten Tomatoes) but a financial success, like another film of his, Tomb Raider, was, to the point that it got a sequel dated for 2021

19 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I like how there are NO logos on the human ones...outside of Robotnik, you're gonna have people look at the other two and go "Well what is this advertising??"

I can see a Donut Lord spin-off happen in a few years if Sonic is as successful as expected.

Apparently, the world premiere of the movie is Saturday: https://www.averagesocialite.com/la-events/2019/11/2/sonic-the-hedgehog-premiere-tba.

Maybe a sign of confidence in Paramount because of the redesigned model, maybe?

I am curious to see the opening weekend tracking this week. I’m thinking a $30M OW projection, hopefully general audiences like it enough to help it make it’s $95M budget back in America, maybe even hit $100M in the end of it’s domestic run. I also wonder if it manages to open to #1 over the 4-day weekend.

So, I saw the trailer in the theater tonight...and I really hope for its sake, the movie is better than that trailer:)...

Apparently, my kids are all willing to pass on this one...and a few of them not only played the games, but watched the animated content and read the graphic novels...but maybe its ow slot will at least give it a good starting bump...

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, I saw the trailer in the theater tonight...and I really hope for its sake, the movie is better than that trailer:)...

Apparently, my kids are all willing to pass on this one...and a few of them not only played the games, but watched the animated content and read the graphic novels...but maybe its ow slot will at least give it a good starting bump...

Was it the trailer with his horrendous model or the one with his newer model?

2 minutes ago, Movies4Life said:

Was it the trailer with his horrendous model or the one with his newer model?

New model...his look is about the only good thing.

It just looks so forced...forced for a laugh, forced for a plot, cringy...I can go on...I mean I watched Pikachu last year, and really enjoyed the trailer (while the movie ended up only okay to good:)...this trailer isn't close to pulling me or my kids in...

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

Feels like its gonna suffer from the same problem as Pikachu where the studio forgets to market the movie towards kids because they are too busy marketing it towards the twitter and reddit.

• Haha 1

Unfortunate, @TwoMisfits, because I think this movie will be COUNTING on the kids demo. I only have the opinions of a few adults in my circles but my hunch is that most adults who have a feeling of nostalgia towards Sonic don't really care there's a movie. Nostalgia ain't selling this as far as adults go.

• Like 1