CaptainJackSparrow

Sonic the Hedgehog | Paramount | Feb 14 2020 | Visionary Auteur Tim Miller to produce | See Sonic's new plastic surgery on page 58

18 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

But Mando does help in elevating Baby Yoda. 

Justice Smith didn't elevate Pikachu. Pikachu became superior. 

I think for the sequel they should bring in Red played by someone like Tom Holland

Pikachu and Baby Yoda were superior and the stars only difference is Baby Yoda was not supposed to be the star. Pikachu was.

Edited by Cappoedameron

I really don't see this be a franchise starter. They'll probably get one sequel but I just don't see it going on after that if that film is just "competent" too. They should at least fast track the sequel to 2022 if they want the second film to do well too because if it releases anytime later than that than that, they'll just get a Angry Birds 2. But the fact that this is looking to be a big hit is probably good enough for Paramount. 

Same thing if they make a direct sequel to Detective Pikachu. But if Legendary actually goes forward with a another Pokemon movie, I doubt it's going to be connected to Detective Pikachu.

Edited by lorddemaxus

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

I really don't see this be a franchise starter. They'll probably get one sequel but I just don't see it going on after that if that film is just "competent" too. They should at least fast track the sequel to 2022 if they want the second film to do well too because if it releases anytime later than that than that, they'll just get a Angry Birds 2. But the fact that this is looking to be a big hit is probably good enough for Paramount. 

Same thing if they make a direct sequel to Detective Pikachu. But if Legendary actually goes forward with a another Pokemon movie, I doubt it's going to be connected to Detective Pikachu.

Should they release it in Christmas 2022?

Makes sense this might do better tHan Detective Pikachu. Better lead actors and when people think of Sonic they probably have fond memories of the games while most people who think of Pokémon think of the anime which is honestly was a dumb show when you look back on it 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

33 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Makes sense this might do better tHan Detective Pikachu. Better lead actors and when people think of Sonic they probably have fond memories of the games while most people who think of Pokémon think of the anime which is honestly was a dumb show when you look back on it 

It’s a stretch to say that most people think of the anime when they think of Pokémon. The Pokémon franchise makes most of its revenue through games and merchandise. 

51 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Huh this makes no sense? My dude the games came out 2 years before the anime started.

Edited by Cappoedameron

15 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Huh this makes no sense? My dude the games came out 2 years before the anime started.

He's saying most people. And yea, I totally agree. I never played any of the games, but I did watch the show when I was a kid. The show was definitely more popular than the games anyways. 

Anyways, to contribute to the convo going on above, I don't think this is going to be any real "franchise-starter" other than maybe one sequel in a few years that'll do around half of what this one does. Part of the interest in this stems from a) the novelty of seeing the character on the big screen

b) I really do think that the fact that the original design was so bad and they went and changed it built a lot more good will with audiences than if the design was this way from the beginning

c) a huge star from the 90s who's mostly faded today coming back to play a (relatively) iconic character

Just now, DAJK said:

He's saying most people. And yea, I totally agree. I never played any of the games, but I did watch the show when I was a kid. The show was definitely more popular than the games anyways. 

The games literally were some of the highest selling hand held titles of all time but go off I guess. 

The success of the games also is why they created the anime and not to mention the trading card game. 

Why people feel the need to compare this to DP is beyond me. A successful video game film is a success for all. DP was a success, this is looking to be  a success. That's great, and now there's hope for a future for video game films.

2 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

If this is truly as enjoyable as the reviews suggest, it makes the initial character design even more head-scratching. How could they get so much right (for the mindless video game entertainment this is) yet get the design so wrong?

It was likely a planned publicity stunt 

8 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

If this is truly as enjoyable as the reviews suggest, it makes the initial character design even more head-scratching. How could they get so much right (for the mindless video game entertainment this is) yet get the design so wrong?

I'm still waiting cause it's dropped a lot on RT. This morning it was a 73% it's dropped since then to a 64%

32 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

The games literally were some of the highest selling hand held titles of all time but go off I guess. 

The success of the games also is why they created the anime and not to mention the trading card game. 

Why people feel the need to compare this to DP is beyond me. A successful video game film is a success for all. DP was a success, this is looking to be  a success. That's great, and now there's hope for a future for video game films.

that's the problem tho when we're so into something, is that we don't realize that nobody outside our circle cares. Same with cult classic movies (guaranteed movies like Kick Ass/The Room etc. aren't as popular irl than they are among online communities). Same with comic books. Same with video games; I know for example The Witcher was a huge selling game, but I've met one person in real life who's played the games. Most people know the brand from the TV Show.