CaptainJackSparrow

Sonic the Hedgehog | Paramount | Feb 14 2020 | Visionary Auteur Tim Miller to produce | See Sonic's new plastic surgery on page 58

1 hour ago, Eric the Hedgehog said:

@lorddemaxus @dudalb That's enough talking about the military in a thread about a movie featuring a blue cartoon hedgehog for one day.

I agree. Back on topic, how much of this film's success is dependent upon the shoulders of Jim Carrey returning to his roots? Is this film performing better than expected with critics solely based upon Carrey's performance or its central character being given proper cinematic treatment?

It appears both fans of classic Jim Carrey and old school Sonic are equally enjoying the film. I can see how Paramount had trouble with initial marketing. People want to see a memorable over the top Jim Carrey performance, but they also want people to know this is all about Sonic.

Edited by ThePhasmid

I have to admit, as a long fan of Sonic, I thought, more than once "This is way too serious to be the plot of a damn Sonic movie.", and I didn't hate it....mainly bc of Carrey and Robotnik.

Spoiler

and the stinger.

I've never played 06 so I wonder if this plot is more or less serious than that one...probably less. Hell, at least Sonic was still cocky and fun and not neurotic and lonely. If I wanted that, I'd look in the mirror.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I have to admit, as a long fan of Sonic, I thought, more than once "This is way too serious to be the plot of a damn Sonic movie.", and I didn't hate it....mainly bc of Carrey and Robotnik.

Reveal hidden contents

I've never played 06 so I wonder if this plot is more or less serious than that one...probably less. Hell, at least Sonic was still cocky and fun and not neurotic and lonely. If I wanted that, I'd look in the mirror.

It really wasn't that much more serious than Adventure or Adventure 2 tbh

On 2/13/2020 at 10:47 PM, DAJK said:

He's saying most people. And yea, I totally agree. I never played any of the games, but I did watch the show when I was a kid. The show was definitely more popular than the games anyways. 

Anyways, to contribute to the convo going on above, I don't think this is going to be any real "franchise-starter" other than maybe one sequel in a few years that'll do around half of what this one does. Part of the interest in this stems from a) the novelty of seeing the character on the big screen

b) I really do think that the fact that the original design was so bad and they went and changed it built a lot more good will with audiences than if the design was this way from the beginning

c) a huge star from the 90s who's mostly faded today coming back to play a (relatively) iconic character

The newest game titles just sold nearly 20 million copies in two months. They are far more popular than the anime.

30 minutes ago, ThePhasmid said:

This film continues to defy odds. I don't know if it's a bigger win for Paramount or Carrey.

It's bigger for Jim Carrey. It's big for both, but this is Jim's biggest OW since Bruce Almighty. His genius is being introduced to a whole new young generation.

18 hours ago, ThePhasmid said:

I agree. Back on topic, how much of this film's success is dependent upon the shoulders of Jim Carrey returning to his roots? Is this film performing better than expected with critics solely based upon Carrey's performance or its central character being given proper cinematic treatment?

It appears both fans of classic Jim Carrey and old school Sonic are equally enjoying the film. I can see how Paramount had trouble with initial marketing. People want to see a memorable over the top Jim Carrey performance, but they also want people to know this is all about Sonic.

I don't see any critics praising Jean Ralphio's vocal performance, or James Marsden. As far back as the disastrous first trailer, what with the CGI monstrosity and Gangsta's Paradise, Jim Carrey still received a very positive reaction. The initial marketing trouble had nothing to do with Carrey.

I'm not saying that Jim is carrying this property, but he is elevating it. Carrey has always been able to pull off the balance of bonkers crazy but still endearing. Who else could have pulled off Robotnik?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I guess we have a new movie franchise on our hands. 

I wouldn't go there yet. This may get 1 sequel in a few years, but it's going to take more than an overperformance like this to really spawn a "franchise".

If I'm being honest, the last major franchise "creation" I can think of is Jumanji. We'll see if A Quiet Place 2 can do something like 200+ next month, I could see it becoming "franchise" level. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

If I'm being honest, the last major franchise "creation" I can think of is Jumanji.

Are they going to keep making films after the third one? I feel like after the third one (which, based on the post credit scene in the 2nd movie, is exactly what I thought it was going to be), there's really not much else to do with the concept.

46 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Are they going to keep making films after the third one? I feel like after the third one (which, based on the post credit scene in the 2nd movie, is exactly what I thought it was going to be), there's really not much else to do with the concept.

Still, you're going to get a trilogy that grossed anywhere from 2.5B-3B worldwide. I'd say that's a legit "franchise" at that point

• Like 1