Jump to content
CaptainJackSparrow

Sonic the Hedgehog | Paramount | Feb 14 2020 | Visionary Auteur Tim Miller to produce | See Sonic's new plastic surgery on page 58

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Ithil said:

The newest game titles just sold nearly 20 million copies in two months. They are far more popular than the anime.

Not true. The anime is far more popular than the games. The anime is aired in 169 countries around the world. The number of people around the world who've watched the anime completely dwarfs the number of people who've played the core games.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Watcher said:

Not true. The anime is far more popular than the games. The anime is aired in 169 countries around the world. The number of people around the world who've watched the anime completely dwarfs the number of people who've played the core games.

How many people still watch the anime compared to the number of people who still play the games? The anime exists to promote the video games, not the other way around. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

How many people still watch the anime compared to the number of people who still play the games? The anime exists to promote the video games, not the other way around. 

Exactly. The anime is basically promo for the games, cards, merchandise, etc. The Pokemon anime is still widely watched by kids around the world. As adults grow out of the anime, a new generation of kids get introduced to Pokemon through the anime. That's the entry point into the franchise for most people, who then go on to buy the games, cards, merch, etc.

 

In China alone, Pokemon has been watched by hundreds of millions. And in India, Pokemon has nearly 100 million viewers. And that's just two countries. Across the world, Pokemon's viewership could be anywhere from hundreds of millions to possibly even a billion.

Edited by Watcher
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DAJK said:

Honestly I hope Carrey starts doing more work after this. I miss 90s Carrey. 

He has been working but he'd been doing TV with Kidding and also smaller projects. This film was a real return to form. 

 

4 hours ago, TMP said:

Biggest franchises in Hollywood will all be 90's nostalgia now that superhero fatigue's struck. Jumanji. Sonic. Hope for Space Jam 2? Maybe...

Space Jam 2 will be interesting box office wise but I think WB should be releasing the new Looney Tunes Cartoons to get the characters back in the limelight. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Watcher said:

Exactly. The anime is basically promo for the games, cards, merchandise, etc. The Pokemon anime is still widely watched by kids around the world. As adults grow out of the anime, a new generation of kids get introduced to Pokemon through the anime. That's the entry point into the franchise for most people, who then go on to buy the games, cards, merch, etc.

 

In China alone, Pokemon has been watched by hundreds of millions. And in India, Pokemon has nearly 100 million viewers. And that's just two countries. Across the world, Pokemon's viewership could be anywhere from hundreds of millions to possibly even a billion. This is what I mean about the anime dwarfing the games in popularity.

Again, how many people still watch the anime today? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, a lot of you folks were right: this is breaking out big! I don't see the appeal but that's ME. The success is due almost solely to the fact it's a film that is satisfying the hunger of the family movie crowd. That, and it's actually doing pretty good review wise (63% on RT).

 

Between this and A Quiet Place: Part II in March, Paramount will have had a good first quarter.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Again, how many people still watch the anime today? 

In 2014, Pokemon drew 96.9 million viewers in India.

In 2016, Pokemon was one of the world's most widely streamed shows on Netflix.

As of 2019, the Pokemon anime is aired in 169 countries around the world.

As of 2019, the first episode of Pokemon was watched over 200 million times on Chinese streaming platform Tencent Video.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Watcher said:

In 2014, Pokemon drew 96.9 million viewers in India.

In 2016, Pokemon was one of the world's most widely streamed shows on Netflix.

As of 2019, the Pokemon anime is aired in 169 countries around the world.

As of 2019, the first episode of Pokemon was watched over 200 million times on Chinese streaming platform Tencent Video.

 

Didn’t Pokémon Go have hundreds of millions of downloads by the end of its first year?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Watcher said:

In 2014, Pokemon drew 96.9 million viewers in India.

In 2016, Pokemon was one of the world's most widely streamed shows on Netflix.

As of 2019, the Pokemon anime is aired in 169 countries around the world.

As of 2019, the first episode of Pokemon was watched over 200 million times on Chinese streaming platform Tencent Video.

 

The problem is that when predicting Detective Pikachu's box office potential everyone used the merch/game sales as points of reference, despite there being actually theatrically released Pokemon films that nobody used as a frame of reference.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As a former fanatic, I'm happy for SEGA...they were the odd man out during the gaming home console corporate revolution, that saw Sony dominate, to this day, and introduced Microsoft to the industry. Yet here SEGA is today, possibly accomplishing what the other guys, even Sony couldn't-a true blockbuster videogame movie franchise 🙂.

 

Jim Carrey's Dr Robotnic is now the current 2020 villain of the year, unseating Miles (The Turning) 😄. I was skeptical when the producers pulled one of their "re-imagining" and turned the portly source material into a SLIM guy. My choice would have been someone like the Richard Jewell actor? They re-imagined Sonic too, but the uproar was huge, and they were forced to do the character right, but Robotic is still perfectly slim. Jim's performance though 😅...totally eclipsed the change in body type for the character! He made the character his own. 

 

Sonic was loved by the kids, and they went bonkers over the after credits cameo 🙂. Man, SEGA has a huge opportunity here in the sequel, to get the billion mark. The origin is out of the way. Bring on the CGI masterminds, ditch earth for Sonic's colorful worlds, and I truly believe a billion is waiting in this sure to be trilogy. 

 

Almost forgot, the producers are fans of The Rock apparently. Carrey does a take on "it doesnt matter what your name is!!", and Sonic has a Rock joke later on. Theyre ALSO fans of the FOX version of Quicksilver, from the X-Men movies. They...borrowed...Quicksilver's notorious time-stands-still action scenes. 

 

 

 

 

Edited by OdinSon2k14
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

Sonic was loved by the kids, and they went bonkers over the after credits cameo 🙂. Man, SEGA has a huge opportunity here in the sequel, to get the billion mark. The origin is out of the way. Bring on the CGI masterminds, ditch earth for Sonic's colorful worlds, and I truly believe a billion is waiting in this sure to be trilogy.

 

You're touching on something that I was thinking when I saw this movie. The animation in this film was beautiful, especially in the opening sequence. But really; throughout the whole film, the animation team was doing a great job characterizing Sonic. Yet, I could just tell that the director, Jeff Fowler, a director of animated short films, was out of his element presenting live-action scenes. The live-action filmmaking was extremely dry in my opinion. But if Jeff Fowler is given more opportunities to showcase scenes like that opening scene, then that's gonna make for a great sequel! The animation is where the passion and the synergy is!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

As a former fanatic, I'm happy for SEGA...they were the odd man out during the gaming home console corporate revolution, that saw Sony dominate, to this day, and introduced Microsoft to the industry. Yet here SEGA is today, possibly accomplishing what the other guys, even Sony couldn't-a true blockbuster videogame movie franchise 🙂.

This. Sega has always been the underdog of gaming. They were the underdogs who managed to dethrone Nintendo. But then became the underdogs again when corporate giant Sony entered and drove them to near-bankruptcy. And since then, Sega has been reduced to making games for Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft consoles.

 

Now with their entry into the movie industry, Sega (with Paramount) have managed to pull off one of the biggest cinematic underdog comebacks with Sonic, a disaster-in-the-making that could potentially launch the first blockbuster video game movie franchise. A feat that Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo have never been able to pull off with all the money at their disposal.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Watcher said:

Now with their entry into the movie industry, Sega (with Paramount) have managed to pull off one of the biggest cinematic underdog comebacks with Sonic, a disaster-in-the-making that could potentially launch the first blockbuster video game movie franchise. A feat that Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo have never been able to pull off with all the money at their disposal.

 

Capcom was first.

  • Like 1
  • Not Cool 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Capcom was first.

Almost forgot about the Resident Evil movies. But I'm not aware of Capcom being directly involved in their production. In contrast, Sega is directly involved in Sonic's production. Sega's CGI studio Marza Animation Planet is one of the three production companies behind Sonic. That's what I mean about Sega making their entry into the movie industry.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mixed feelings between the film itself and the wider implications of the positive start.

 

The film itself....eesh, not so much. Was expecting decent things from what had been said, but 4 pop culture references in the first 2 minutes got me annoyed and there were only more from there. It's a kids movie, but a Dora-like pure kids movie rather than a Pixar-esque movie for everyone. I enjoyed Dora more though as it felt more adventurous, had more humour, and didn't rely on a pop culture reference every 30 seconds. This was not for me. Not for me at all.

 

However James Marsden succeeding in headlining a movie, Paramount getting a win, audiences getting a family hit and Jim Carey visibly having some fun are all good things. I do hope, despite my preferences, that this does well and that the foreign market, where this seems like it's more likely to struggle, holds up.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.