CJohn

The Croods: A New Age | Nov 25, 2020 | RIP Cloris Leachman

https://deadline.com/2020/05/animated-movies-coronavirus-production-tom-and-jerry-spongebob-scoob-skydance-illumination-1202928961/

In fact, most major studios haven’t paused animation productions during COVID-19, with pics like Spin Master’s Paw Patrol: The Movie (due out August 20, 2021), Disney’s Raya and the Last Dragon and Pixar’s Soul, DWA’s Croods 2, The Boss Baby 2, The Bad Guys and Spirit Riding Free continuing to be in full operation with artists and filmmakers working remotely.

40 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I....totally forgot about this movie.

After the Trolls debacle earlier, I wonder how Universal is going to distribute this. Put it in the few open theaters? Skip 'em, but give theaters warning?

debacle? I thought Trolls made a lot of money :lol: could be wrong though

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

debacle? I thought Trolls made a lot of money :lol: could be wrong though

"debacle" as in that one time AMC and co. threw a hissy fit because Trolls 2 broke the theatrical window during a pandemic. Although I'm sure by the time this comes out, the chains won't give a shit about that anymore

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Why would they not move Soul?

I doubt Universal would’ve moved Croods 2 if they didn’t think Soul would go to Disney+

(Oops I misread the post)

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

I had no idea why this movie ever got made at this point, and had zero plans of seeing it pre-Covid...

But if it really comes out Thanksgiving...I can't see my kids letting me skip it...unless Soul is out, too:)...

EDIT TO ADD: This is exactly the movie that should be moving up - something that was making NO money in normal box office times, and might just luck out and make a buck or two more now while testing the market and keeping up the momentum in theaters...see New Mutants, which has already exceeded the money I thought it would make after Disney bought Fox:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Eric #RIPChadwick said:

This coming out in 2020 is still mind-boggling to me. It's not even a COVID thing, it's a "why was this made so late" kind of thing.

Universal knew the L they’d take and figured they might as well adhere to the AMC rule, collect around $30M-$50M domestically and then release it on PVOD for Christmas with a much bigger ad campaign cause Croods 2 either way was going to bomb.