CJohn

The Croods: A New Age | Nov 25, 2020 | RIP Cloris Leachman

6 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Universal knew the L they’d take and figured they might as well adhere to the AMC rule, collect around $30M-$50M domestically and then release it on PVOD for Christmas with a much bigger ad campaign cause Croods 2 either way was going to bomb.

I think that films the studio has little faith in making money in the threatircal release are going to be the only ones we see released in 2020 due to the virus.

Yeah, Croods 2 seem to be a classic "sequel nobody was really asking for".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Jeez, didn't the first one have like a 130 budget or something? Maybe something to do with animation designs being recycled...? I have no idea lol I'm clueless as to how animated movies are made. 

• Like 1

This is what happens when a major studio spends a bit more money on P&A then just a paltry single digit sum to open a film in a world where not all movie theaters are open: Universal/Dreamworks Animation’s The Croods: A New Age is on its way to grossing $14.2M over 5-days at the domestic B.O. and $35.8M WW through Sunday. I hear yesterday was close to $4M for Croods 2, which shows a typical surge on Black Friday and the best daily gross for Croods 2 so far. Following Tenet which made around an estimated $10M in its first domestic weekend (Warners never broke that figure out) when significantly more theaters and markets were open, Croods 2 is posting the second-best opening at the B.O. during the pandemic.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

It benefits from the absolute emptiness of big films in theaters, the fatigue and desire for normalcy some folks have right now, and the word that theaters really did implement enhanced sanitation and spacing.  Tenet was the canary in the coal mine...and the Croods is benefitting.  Wonder Woman may be able to hit Tenet's domestic numbers or more if things don't get worse...

• Like 1

Given how well this seems to be doing, and the fact that it's not like the pandemic has gotten any better over the past week, it kind of shows that Freaky's "failure" wasn't entirely due to the pandemic, and it may have opened lower in a normal world than some of us (including myself) were expecting.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, AJG said:

I don't know what market this is coming from but It looks like Universal released this online today. It's not the UK, it might be the US

It's being released on PVOD in the US this weekend (like all of Universal's titles are after 2-3 weeks of theatrical play during the pandemic).

• Like 1