Ash Skywalker

The Nice Guys

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

American Gangster

Denzel opens movies big. He was the lead in that. And, to be fair, that was almost a decade ago as it opened in November of 2007. Such being, that was far less a niche property. It also opened along with Bee Movie and no real direct competition unlike this weekend with Civil War and Neighbors 2 for the action and R-rated crowd.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

13 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Denzel opens movies big. He was the lead in that. And, to be fair, that was almost a decade ago as it opened in November of 2007. Such being, that was far less a niche property. It also opened along with Bee Movie and no real direct competition unlike this weekend with Civil War and Neighbors 2 for the action and R-rated crowd.

So it opened alongside the best movie ever made and still did well? @Ethan Hunt

1 hour ago, Spaghetti said:

Incidentally, if RDJ was in this, it could have been even bigger.

Anyways, I think I'll settle for a $14m prediction.

Well, as Gosling says RDJ is a "charisma machine".  It's sad KKBB made as little as it did.  Released three years later it might have done Tropic Of Thunder or Due Date numbers.

How is this a $50m budget film though?  I thought maybe $25-30m and even that's about twice what KKBB cost.

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Well, as Gosling says RDJ is a "charisma machine".  It's sad KKBB made as little as it did.  Released three years later it might have done Tropic Of Thunder or Due Date numbers.

How is this a $50m budget film though?  I thought maybe $25-30m and even that's about twice what KKBB cost.

That 70s décor made from scratch costs a lot of money.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

That 70s décor made from scratch costs a lot of money.

Should have shopped at Goodwill or The Salvation Army. :P

Inherent Vice (another movie that would have made more with RDJ) managed the 70s on a $20m budget... all that ugly wallpaper.

Edited by TalismanRing

Just saw it. Great movie. The only other Shane Black movie I saw is Iron Man 3, so I can't compare it to his other work. Definitly a unique and funny movie. Gosling and Crowe have great chemistry, though for me the stand out character is Angourie Rice's Holly March.

39 minutes ago, Samarus said:

Just saw it. Great movie. The only other Shane Black movie I saw is Iron Man 3, so I can't compare it to his other work. Definitly a unique and funny movie. Gosling and Crowe have great chemistry, though for me the stand out character is Angourie Rice's Holly March.

Well now you need to see Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.

• Like 1

This is so damn good. Favourite film of the year so far. Absolutely hilarious stuff - need to watch it with a good crowd as that enhances the experience so much, like it did for me here. There are parts where the plot doesn't make much sense and still don't walking out -  but it's so (I know it's a dirty word now lol) damn fun you just roll along.

Crowe and Gosling were absolutely hilarious, with the former being more subdued and snarky while the latter just goes completely OTT (although the absolutely hilarious I'M ALLIIIIIIIIVVVVVEEEE doesn't make it unfortunately) - can we sign him up for the eventual Anchorman reboot/prequel? MVP was Angourie Rice who played off Gosling really well, Basinger isn't in it a lot at all actually. But yeah the real star here is the script.

Basically - go see it asap. Then as Black says, text a local friend and a friend in another country telling them to see the film and do the same. And so on. And I need to watch Kiss Kiss Bang Bang now.

8.5/10

Ciw9SKJWYAAZV3a.jpg:orig

There was also a pretty sweet Q&A with Black and Silver afterwards - they're both really darn funny themselves, they talked loads about previous work, how Black actually came up with the title Die Hard (which was the original title for The Last Boy Scout but Black didn't like it so he let Silver use it for what became Die Hard), about how Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was originally meant to be something else entirely, the Predator film, I asked them about the viral videos they did for this film (spoiler alert: they were Gosling's idea, especially the one from last night).... Empire Magazine's gonna have a podcast up with the full Q&A soon. Was really great to see and listen to them in person.

• Like 7

23 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Should have shopped at Goodwill or The Salvation Army. :P

Inherent Vice (another movie that would have made more with RDJ) managed the 70s on a $20m budget... all that ugly wallpaper.

RDJ would have been completely wrong IV though. The main character was meant to be passive and unassuming.