Olive

Weekend Est: 22JUMP 60.0M| HTTYD2 50.0M|Male 19.0M|EOT 16.1M|Fault 15.7M|DOFP 9.5M

Pamela McClintock ‏@PamelaDayM  2m

'22 Jump Street' laughs up outstanding $5.5m Thursday night for @channingtatum & @JonahHill

Pamela McClintock ‏@PamelaDayM  19s

Not bad for a family pic. 'How to Train Your Dragon 2' earns $2m Thursday night http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-22-jump-street-711696 …

---------------------

Rth Saturday:

QuoteSat atm going with

22j 18-20, HTTYD2 16-18

Edited by Olive Maximoff
  • Like 14

• Founder / Operator

DANG IT lol, I've been eagerly searching numbers so I can post the thread :P

Nice on 22JS, any good comps for it?

Best one seems to be Neighbors ($2.56m), maybe Hangover 3 ($3.1m) but that opened on a Wednesday night vs. Thu night.

• Like 1

So what are we looking at for OW?  Neighbors had 2.6 so if we use that it projects to 100+.  That can't be right. :lol:

I think Hangover II is a better comparison for midnights, a highly anticipated comedy sequel, obviously 22JS opened to half of that, but 22JS also had the NBA finals to compete with.

I don't think Neighbors is a good comparison because that was an original comedy in the beginning of May.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 2

• Founder / Operator

not hangover 2?

I think Hangover II is a better comparison for midnights, a highly anticipated comedy sequel, obviously 22JS opened to half of that, but 22JS also had the NBA finals to compete with.

The only reason I think TH3 is a slightly stronger comparison than TH2 is because the latter opened at midnight on a Wednesday/Thursday. Neither had Friday openings like 22JS, but at least TH3 started at 8/10pm.

Ultimately, I don't think either Hangover film is quite as useful as Neighbors but they're all definitely worth mentioning. For reference:

Neighbors: $2.56m (Thursday late shows, no holiday)

TH3: $3.1m (Wednesday late shows, Memorial weekend)TH2: $10.4m (Wednesday midnight shows, Memorial weekend)

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 4

The only reason I think TH3 is a slightly stronger comparison than TH2 is because the latter opened at midnight on a Wednesday/Thursday. Neither had Friday openings like 22JS, but at least TH3 started at 8/10pm.

Ultimately, I don't think either Hangover film is quite as useful as Neighbors but they're all definitely worth mentioning.

True, but Hangover 2 had a 10m midnight number, Hangover 3 is less comparable to 22JS because it was a sequel to a poorly received sequel while also facing off against heavy competition (Fast 6).  It's hard to really use Neighbors because it isn't a sequel to a well-received comedy, and it opened in early May.  

I'm fairly certain 60m is set for 22JS though.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

True, but Hangover 2 had a 10m midnight number, Hangover 3 is less comparable to 22JS because it was a sequel to a poorly received sequel while also facing off against heavy competition (Fast 6).  It's hard to really use Neighbors because it isn't a sequel to a well-received comedy, and it opened in early May.  

I'm fairly certain 60m is set for 22JS though.

Neighbors' Fri-Sat hold acted somewhat like a sequel though, and similarly had strong reviews and good early WOM. Even TH2 didn't have either of those two things (on top of the later shows, so it's number would likely be a little higher today).

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 2

Hangover 2 had a 135M 5 day weekend, so if 22JS makes exactly half of that it will have a 67.5m OW, but I'm still expecting it be around 72m. The actuals will end up somewhere very very close to the 70m mark I think. :ph34r:

• Like 4

I'm thinking this translates to a Friday in the low-to-mid 20s. With a boost on Father's day, this could still get to $60m. I think that we might be surprised at how leggy this and Dragon 2 are.

And before anyone panics about Dragon's numbers, remember that Monsters University only made $2.7m on Thursday night.

• Like 4