Olive

Weekend Est: 22JUMP 60.0M| HTTYD2 50.0M|Male 19.0M|EOT 16.1M|Fault 15.7M|DOFP 9.5M

I simply can't wrap my brain around the fact that HTTYD2 will open a mere 5-10m higher than the first. No animated competition this summer, beloved predecessor, great reviews, summer release. What the literal fuck? :unsure:

Curse of Summer 2014
  • Like 3

Curse of Summer 2014

The general lack of big hits this summer is truly starting to worry me. I mean a lot of the movies this summer shouldn't be that unappealing. I think some years have been worse (for good/appealing movies). But I'm wondering if people are just finally sick of movie prices and would rather wait for home video. This Holiday is packed with movies that should be appealing, so if everything disappoints like it is this summer than I think that might be the case.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

I simply can't wrap my brain around the fact that HTTYD2 will open a mere 5-10m higher than the first. No animated competition this summer, beloved predecessor, great reviews, summer release. What the literal fuck? :unsure:

There was ZERO hype. Someone over at marketing fucked up BIG time for Dragon. <_<

If you said...Maleficent would make more money than HTTYD2 a few months ago, I would've laughed at you.Oh, to be so wrong.

It's not a lock or anything that Maleficent will beat it, but the fact that it's possible is horrifying. I mean HTTYD1 did have a 5x multi, and given this will have only a slightly higher OW and no direct competition until Planes it could have a similar run. Especially since it seems to be having similar reception to the first. Not that I'm gonna get my hopes too high after this miserable OW though.

Edited by MovieMan89

The general lack of big hits this summer is truly starting to worry me. I mean a lot of the movies this summer shouldn't be that unappealing. I think some years have been worse (for good/appealing movies). But I'm wondering if people are just finally sick of movie prices and would rather wait for home video. This Holiday is packed with movies that should be appealing, so if everything disappoints like it is this summer than I think that might be the case.

Even worse that some of the movies are actually really good films. So sad
  • Like 2

Even worse that some of the movies are actually really good films. So sad

DOFP, EoT, and HTTYD2 are as good of summer blockbusters as you could ask for. Really don't know what people want if those 3 aren't good enough...apparently Maleficent. :sick:

:stretcher:

• Like 3

It's not a lock or anything that Maleficent will beat it, but the fact that it's possible is horrifying. I mean HTTYD1 did have a 5x multi, and given this will have only a slightly higher OW and no direct competition until Planes it could have a similar run. Especially since it seems to be having similar reception to the first. Not that I'm gonna get my hopes too high after this miserable OW though.

The no major competition thing is why I thought this would open big, so, let's just say I have little faith in amazing legs.Prove me wrong audiences. I welcome being wrong.
  • Like 1

the people who say it will have amazing legs because of lack of family competition are being narrow minded. TF4 appeals to kids (Boys primarily but still a decent amount). It  is the same as thinking that Dragon 2 would be the first family movie of the summer and ignoring Maleficent

the people who say it will have amazing legs because of lack of family competition are being narrow minded. TF4 appeals to kids (Boys primarily but still a decent amount). It  is the same as thinking that Dragon 2 would be the first family movie of the summer and ignoring Maleficent

Well, I don't think people were ignoring Maleficent, as opposed to dismissing it. If you understand my distinction there.

I said there's no animated competition. And I still don't believe Transformers gets much of the girl audience or 8 and under crowd.

Then again, I'm starting to wonder if HTTYD2 got much of the girl audience either. That was the main reason KFP2 disappointed, and that was the only concern I ever brought up for Dragon.

Edited by MovieMan89

Just read this on Reddit. A fight broke out during HTTYD2

Full story: About half way through the movie, a man two seats behind me stands up, turns around and goes "can you PLEASE stop kicking my seat." The conversation between him and the person behind him goes like this:

The Kicker: I haven't been kicking your seat, mate.

Stand Up Dude: Well, obviously someone has been. These kids of yours, perhaps?

The Kicker: No one's kicking anything back here.

Stand Up Dude: Control your kids. (he sits down)

(The Kicker kicks his seat really hard. Now they're both standing up.)

Stand Up Dude: Fuck you, cunt!

The Kicker: Fuck you, telling me to control my fucking kids.

Stand Up Dude: Righto, cunt, fight me.

The Kicker then proceeded to lunge a whole row down to Stand Up Dude, punching each other and cursing in a packed cinema filled with children. A man a few seats across grabs The Kicker and drags him out, with Stand Up Dude following him out. Their families awkwardly shuffle out a few minutes later. Needless to say, this disrupted the entire cinema and really affected everyone's enjoyment of the film, with many parents leaving with their kids and many people in general unable to settle down afterwards.

So, what has something an audience done in your cinema that ruined your experience?

NF gives only % this time

#1 is  22 Jump Street (Sony/Columbia Pictures/MGM – 3,306 theaters) opening with a hot $25M (including $5.5M from Thursday late shows) Friday. West Coast late shows did push that total higher. But Saturday cooled down -26%.

#2 is PG-rated and 3D How To Train Your Dragon 2 (DreamWorks Animation/Fox- 4,253 theaters) targeting $18.5M Friday but -9% on Saturday.

According to those % drops,

18.5m for 22JS

16.83m for HTTY2

3. Maleficent (Disney – 3,623 Runs) Week 3 PGFriday $6.1M, Saturday $7.4M, Weekend $19.6M (-43%), Cume $164.1M

4. The Fault In Our Stars (Fox – 3,273 Runs) Week 2 PG13Friday $6.5M, Saturday $5.5M, Weekend $16M (-67%), Cume $82.0M

5. Edge Of Tomorrow (Warner Bros – 3,505 Runs) Week 2 PG13Friday $4.7M, Saturday $5.9M, Weekend $15.0M (-48%), Cume $55.5M

http://nikkifinke.com/

Edited by a2k

DOFP, EoT, and HTTYD2 are as good of summer blockbusters as you could ask for. Really don't know what people want if those 3 aren't good enough...apparently Maleficent. :sick::stretcher:

X-Men has a ceiling and the other two can be put down to poor marketing. Is EOT gonna have a good drop this week?

Then again, I'm starting to wonder if HTTYD2 got much of the girl audience either. That was the main reason KFP2 disappointed, and that was the only concern I ever brought up for Dragon.

Looks like the girl audience is going to Maleficent.

• Like 1