Olive

Weekend Est: 22JUMP 60.0M| HTTYD2 50.0M|Male 19.0M|EOT 16.1M|Fault 15.7M|DOFP 9.5M

I think it is clear that even if your films was extremely well received you can't wait too long these days if you want the sequel to explode. We saw that with Star Trek 2 and now it looks like it is happening with Dragon as well. 

taking a look at the sequels to well received films that did explode or did very well. Hunger Games: Catching Fire, Twilight: New Moon, Transformers 2, Fast and Furious 6, Hangover Part 2, 22 Jump Street. They came out two years or less after their predecessor. Coincidence? I think not

On the other hand, Skyfall, TDK, Toy Story 3, etc

I think content and context matters way more than some arbitrary timeline

• Like 1

Hmmm....so Dragon 2 cost twenty million less to make than the first....and is as good/nearly as good as that one....lesson here for DW: it's okay to have smaller budgets.

HTTYD had a higher budget due to being development for a long time plus Dreamworks have been trying to cut their budget to $125-145m, still higher than their competition but lower than Disney/Pixar, 

It's lucky Katzenberg owns Dreamworks Animation as any other executive would have received their marching orders. 

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

Hmmm....so Dragon 2 cost twenty million less to make than the first....and is as good/nearly as good as that one....lesson here for DW: it's okay to have smaller budgets.

I think you mean...It's ok to lie and pretend your budget was lower than the first film.20m less than he first film! I laughed!
  • Like 6

Pixar movies like MU, TS3, Finding Dory are/will be exceptions when it comes to long gaps cause their previous installments were etched into people's hearts before animation broke out big time. They have a special place.

• Like 2

On the other hand, Skyfall, TDK, Toy Story 3, etc

I think content and context matters way more than some arbitrary timeline

also, these aren't the best examples. Skyfall had the 50th anniversary hype, TDK was three years after and had Batman's most well known villains and TS3 had ten years of inflation and added 3D for the first time

• Like 2

I think you mean...It's ok to lie and pretend your budget was lower than the first film.20m less than he first film! I laughed!

I read it on the internets

• Like 3

Rth just posted in the HTTYD2 thread that he revised his numbers up to 21.5-24 for Dragons!24 would be awesome

Yes, 24M would be great! :)Edit: You tricked me. :( Edited by Empire
  • Like 1

also, these aren't the best examples. Skyfall had the 50th anniversary hype, TDK was three years after and had Batman's most well known villains and TS3 had ten years of inflation and added 3D for the first time

Like I said, content and context

• Like 1