Olive

Weekend Est: 22JUMP 60.0M| HTTYD2 50.0M|Male 19.0M|EOT 16.1M|Fault 15.7M|DOFP 9.5M

The difference with Pirates and TASM is also in the fact their predecessors did really well. Dragon 2 is following a $218M. That's a bit of a difference. And, if TF4 under performs and does say $250M, let's not forget it is coming off a $350M third film.

I wouldn't call 250m an under performance, that's where it will likely end up.

Wow, that's a hugely disappointing number for HTTYD2.

It was absolutely set up perfectly as the only major animated release of the entire summer, and it failed to capitalize.

Damn them trailers.

Edited by Fancyarcher

How to Train Your Dragon 2

Weekend Multipliers

The LEGO Movie: 74.729M

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2: 68.065M

How to Train Your Dragon: 66.799M

Kung Fu Panda 2: 67.290M

Rio 2: 60.593M

Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted: 54.035M

Ice Age: Continental Drift: 51.568M

Despicable Me 2: 50.696M

Monsters University: 50.042M

Toy Story 3: 49.593M

Domestic Multipliers

How to Train Your Dragon: 332.342M

The LEGO Movie: 277.166M

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2: 239.691M

Kung Fu Panda 2: 233.328M

Despicable Me 2: 223.418M

Rio 2: 194.518M

Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted: 193.854M

Toy Story 3: 186.580M

Ice Age: Continental Drift: 178.407M

Monsters University: 163.000M

Great start for 22 Jump Street. I know that the first one was very well-liked and all, but it's astounding to see the sequel jump to a $25 million opening day after the first one "only" made $13.2 million. On balance, I think it's an even more impressive sequel jump than the one that The Hangover: Part II pulled off three years ago.

How to Train Your Dragon 2 is a touch disappointing, but far from a disaster. A $55 million weekend is doable, and with summer weekdays factored in, reaching the first film's total can definitely still be in play. 

I'm bummed but not surprised that Edge of Tomorrow saw a rough Friday-to-Friday drop. It's such a damn fun movie, and it definitely lends itself to being seen on the biggest screen available.

Agreed on 22. It's also great because 22 is actually worthwhile quality wise.

HTTYD2 just reaching the original's total makes me sad, since the original should've made a lot more.

Edge of Tomorrow lost IMAX btw

Right. First filmmakers to have $150m grossers as well, beating the Wachowskis ($281m for Reloaded and $139m for Revolutions in '03).

They deserve it. Comedic geniuses and I'd place the Lord/Miller team in the top five directors working today.

I dont mind being wrong in my predictions, when the rest of the forum is wrong too. This is one of those weekends.When everyone loses, no one does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8I9pYCl9AQ

• Like 1

it's not good. Since it is a movie a lot of people here like though people will be easier on it and say things like "Oh it's still a good opening" or "it's still a lot of money" like they did for STID last year. It this was a Pirates, Amazing Spider-Man, Or Transformers movie underwhelming everyone would be constantly laughing and  making fun of its performance

It's because apparently Dragon is a good movie. Also, we're kinda distracted by 22 doing so well that we don't care to make fun of Dragon

They deserve it. Comedic geniuses and I'd place the Lord/Miller team in the top five directors working today.

If we are talking strictly studio directors, I'd probably agree. I still hope they'll soon start developing original projects of their own, they can't just deconstruct things forever.