CaptainJackSparrow

Straight Outta Compton | August 14, 2015

Suge Knight?

Suge allegedly threatened to throw Eazy off a 15-story balcony, if he wouldn't release Dre from his contract with Ruthless Records.

And btw, he's still up to no good. Saw a clip of him the other day where he runs over two guys with his SUV. If he keeps this up he's gonna end up on Death Row for real.

• Like 1

Suge allegedly threatened to throw Eazy off a 15-story balcony, if he wouldn't release Dre from his contract with Ruthless Records.

And btw, he's still up to no good. Saw a clip of him the other day where he runs over two guys with his SUV. If he keeps this up he's gonna end up on Death Row for real.

You think he conspired against Pac?

• Like 1

I hope this is a really good film.  They were a massive voice for my generation.  Sure, I'm white and grew up in Canada, but I still listened to a lot of rap growing up and NWA was one of the best.  

Love that Giamatti is in this.

He looks like he is going to be playing the same kind of role he did in Rock of Ages.

I am torn on this. On one hand, it's a powerful, incendiary, thought-provoking time in music that led to a cultural shift the likes of which are rarely seen. I love the historical importance of what NWA did. On the other hand, it was all about men, and women were purposely left out. Female voices were virtually invisible in this movement. In fact, as you can see from the trailer, women were just random asses and tits and girl-on-girl scenarios for the male gaze. Women had no agency in this sociocultural shakeup; they were simply anonymous sexual decoration. So, a huge part of me wants to see the movie, but a huge part of me wants to say, “Fuck You, mysoginistic assholes!”...

• Like 1

There was plenty of female rappers and activists back then, but they werent fighting off the gangs and police brutality like the men were. It was always black males getting stopped and searched, or having gang affiliation, not the females. I see your critiscms, but its not completely true.

And thats the way its been with all music. You make a song, become a hit, and all women want to F you and go to your lavish parties. Everyone calls Jusitin Beiber a girly-man and hes doing the same thing. Hes just not doing it blatantly. Dozens of rap, pop, rock, and jazz stars that lived that life just like NWA.

• Like 2

This looks way more interesting than Get on Up.  And it also transcends colour.  I was 12-15 when these guys came out and I loved the group.  A lot of my white friends did too.  

• Like 1

This looks way more interesting than Get on Up.  And it also transcends colour.  I was 12-15 when these guys came out and I loved the group.  A lot of my white friends did too.

IIRC the mass majority of NWA records were bought by people in the more white suburban areas in the US. Their audience was huge.

• Like 1