CaptainJackSparrow

Straight Outta Compton | August 14, 2015

The problem with women is not exactly of a bygone era. Interesting how the casting call breakdown for women extras manages to be racist - in 2014.   It's an insult to black women especially dark skinned black women.

How is that different from producers casting hot actors or actresses in a movie? One type of actor will more likely get a role over the other.

Not really fair, but there are no laws against it. :ph34r:

Edited by Mojoguy

You don't see the break down in light skin to medium to dark skin, natural hair to weave as racist along the lines of desirability and socio economic station as racist??    It doesn't ring any bells that they only want Medium to dark skin tone black girls as the ones who are poor and out of shape?  It's completely racist and feeds into lighter and nearer to white is better.

• Like 3

You don't see the break down in light skin to medium to dark skin, natural hair to weave as racist along the lines of desirability and socio economic station as racist??    It doesn't ring any bells that they only want Medium to dark skin tone black girls as the ones who are poor and out of shape?  It's completely racist and feeds into lighter and nearer to white is better.

It was awful, Universal was quick to apologize for the casting call and point out that the casting agency were the ones who wrote it up, not the studio. Not the brightest bulb who wrote that notice...I mean, just send out a notice for all ethnicities and choose according to whatever misguided preferences you have. The attitudes sadly weren't shocking at all, the colorism and "good hair" mentality goes back for centuries, against the black community as well as within it. To look at many rap videos through the years, it's clear that there are many rappers who've felt the same way about which women are desirable and which ones aren't, it was just sort of shocking to see it so bluntly put in writing like that.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 6

You gotta be specific though, yeah it looks racist and yeah it looks sexist but that's what it is.

its extra casting. You need a specifc amount or type of person.

Short Asian girl must be under 5'2 model esque looks.

What else are they supposed to say?

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 2

You gotta be specific though, yeah it looks racist and yeah it looks sexist but that's what it is.

its extra casting. You need a specifc amount or type of person.

Short Asian girl must be under 5'2 model esque looks.

What else are they supposed to say?

It doesn't just look racist it is racist.  They only want dark skinned women to play poor and out of shape women. Not beautiful women, not thin women, not model type women.   Because dark skinned women can't be beautiful?   Light skin women can't be poor or out of shape? Women with natural long hair are more attractive than women with a weave?

It's exactly like a casting call that says looking for extras to play CEOs, judges and doctors - must have smooth hair and be light skinned.  Looking for drug addicts and criminals must be dark skinned with dreads.  Sure they're being specific, they're also being racist.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

It doesn't just look racist it is racist.  They only want dark skinned women to play poor and out of shape women. Not beautiful women, not thin women, not model type women.   Because dark skinned women can't be beautiful?   Light skin women can't be poor or out of shape? Women with natural long hair are more attractive than women with a weave?

It's exactly like a casting call that says looking for extras to play CEOs, judges and doctors - must have smooth hair and be light skinned.  Looking for drug addicts and criminals must be dark skinned with dreads.  Sure they're being specific, they're also being racist.

What I like the most is "Beyonce is a B-type, fine girl with long natural hair". Beyonce wears weaves most of the time and you gotta tell me that she isn't the hottest of the hottest worthy? :rolleyes:  Their racist sheet is totally fucked up anyway when Beyonce is not even considered a A-type of "classy looking" girls in their twisted bigoted world where the darker skinned you are equal being the ugliest and poorest.

I mean the specification "C-type and D-type are african-american girls" is damning so if you're a dark skinned african-american girl you can't be A-type "hottest" and B-type "classy fine girls" especially if you're wearing a weave because your hair are not long and straight... <_<  Making an arbitrary hierarchy based on skin color's pigmentation is a by-product of racism.

Look at that "ugly" and "poor" dark skinned african-american woman

well, FUCK YOU!

Edited by MADash Rendar
  • Like 5

There's some scenes where O'Shea Jr. looks so much like Ice Cube it's legitimately terrifying. It's almost like it's the world's most incredible special effect. Anyway, movie was great. Pacing was real off in the third act but it hits so hard and the energy and raw ruthless strength, much like in the the album itself, rises to the forefront. A great time. Jason Mitchell who played Eazy was INCREDIBLE every time he was on screen. I'm writing him in with a pen on my Boffies Best Supporting Actor noms. I don't see how that isn't one of the five best male supporting performances I see all year.

Agree 100%. Just saw the movie, and it's just a great, really solid, no bullshit movie. And Jason Mitchell fucking rocked! He definitely deserves at least an oscar nod for this, he was that fantastic!

But thats not there job. If you get hired and your job is cast attravitve white judges and doctor, then thats what you look for. Its up to the director, he could go in and say, I don't care what race I just want the best guy for the part. But if he says I want this type of person thats the type of person you're gonna look for. Why waste half your time telling people no who wouldn't have showed up in the first place.

In American Sign Language, there culture requires description. You would say do you see the fat ugly asian guy? Or is Sam the guy with the crooked nose? I know thats a terrible comparison, but its all about the view point. The casting directors aren't racist and don't mean anything by it. Its there job. If you can think of a better way to do it let me know. If Im casting Blade 4 there is no reason to see tons of overweight actors or those who themselves don't find themselves sexy enough to want to submit for A type sexy male. You're going to spend twice as much time and money casting. 

Now I agree SOC casting call was extreme though

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 2

If your casting the girl who gets fucked doggy style by Vince for half a minute in Entourage you think Im not gonna specify the type of women or even ass needed? Is the girl vince fucks supposed to be a 10/10 model with a huge butt or a normal everyday average weight looking but not deemed super sexy or skinny girl with no ass? Why waste your time. If the role requires a guy with huge arms guess what you only look for guys with huge arms 

Edited by Jay Hollywood

But thats not there job. If you get hired and your job is cast attravitve white judges and doctor, then thats what you look for. Its up to the director, he could go in and say, I don't care what race I just want the best guy for the part. But if he says I want this type of person thats the type of person you're gonna look for. Why waste half your time telling people no who wouldn't have showed up in the first place.

In American Sign Language, there culture requires description. You would say do you see the fat ugly asian guy? Or is Sam the guy with the crooked nose? I know thats a terrible comparison, but its all about the view point. The casting directors aren't racist and don't mean anything by it. Its there job. If you can think of a better way to do it let me know. If Im casting Blade 4 there is no reason to see tons of overweight actors or those who themselves don't find themselves sexy enough to want to submit for A type sexy male. You're going to spend twice as much time and money casting. 

Now I agree SOC casting call was extreme though

Jay, according to the criterias Honey Boo Boo's mum or Tori Spelling (light skinned with real blond straight hair) would be automatically classified higher than Naomi Campbell (dark skinned woman with african ancestry who has short hair and wears weaves) and Lupita Nyong'o (dark skinned african-american woman who has short nappy hair), and you still don't see the inherent racism in that hierarchy?

This casting call is making a skin tone hierarchy (linked to social status and class just to clarify how much prejudiced it is) tied to beauty ranking FFS.

Do you have casting casting calls like that?

A-type. Skinny tanned with long natural hair. Blond, Busty, blue and green eyes only. Classy rich girls, supermodel type. Hottest of the hot.

B-type. Fair skin brown eyes with natural straight dark hair. Curly hair tolerated but straightening them is a plus. You can be asian.

C-type.  Pasty white trash with hillbilly accent with extensions. Medium size, Curvy and plump. Low class.

D-type. Redneck. Must have homely hair and pale complexion, fat. Poor and non-educated.

Edited by MADash Rendar

Jay, according to the criterias Honey Boo Boo's mum or Tori Spelling (light skinned with real blond straight hair) would be automatically classified higher than Naomi Campbell (dark skinned woman with african ancestry who has short hair and wears weaves) and Lupita Nyong'o (dark skinned african-american woman who has short nappy hair), and you still don't see the inherent racism in that hierarchy?

This casting call is making a skin tone (linked to social status and class just to clarify how much prejudiced it is) hierarchy tied to beauty ranking FFS.

Says who?!

Thats not at all what we are talking about, Naomi is way finer and maybe every one on the move thinks so, but if the role is for Mark Walhbergs daughter in Transformers she isn't going to be black. They wanted a young blonde white girl. It is what it is. 

The casting call for SOC is basically, 1) Hot girls 2) Normal girls 3) Not attractive girls.

Im sure if a beauty like Lupita came in for an extra casting 1) Hot girl they wouldn't say you're a bit too dark (unless they already have enough girls her skin tone) if she is hot enough or fits the type of hotness they are looking for. 

Edited by Jay Hollywood

Says who?!

Thats not at all what we are talking about, Naomi is way finer and maybe every one on the move thinks so, but if the role is for Mark Walhbergs daughter in Transformers she isn't going to be black. They wanted a young blonde white girl. It is what it is. 

The casting call, did you read it?

A GIRLS: These are the hottest of the hottest. Models. MUST have real hair - no extensions, very classy looking, great bodies. You can be black, white, asian, hispanic, mid eastern, or mixed race too. Age 18-30. Please email a current color photo, your name, Union status, height/weight, age, city in which you live and phone number to: SandeAlessiCasting@gmail.com subject line should read: A GIRLS

Naomi Campbell wears weaves and extensions.

B GIRLS: These are fine girls, long natural hair, really nice bodies. Small waists, nice hips. You should be light-skinned. Beyonce is a prototype here. Age 18-30. Please email a current color photo, your name, Union status, height/weight, age, city in which you live and phone number to: SandeAlessiCasting@gmail.com subject line should read: B GIRLS

Naomi Campbell doesn't have "long natural hair". She's not "light-skinned".

C GIRLS: These are African American girls, medium to light skinned with a weave. Age 18-30. Please email a current color photo, your name, Union status, height/weight, age, city in which you live and phone number to: SandeAlessiCasting@gmail.com subject line should read: C GIRLS

Naomi Campbell wears weaves but once again she's not "light skinned". NAOMI CAMPBELL WOULD BE A C-LIST WOMAN AT BEST FOR THIS CASTING CALL JUST BASED ON HER SKIN TONE AND HAIR, FFS!

The same for Lupita Nyong'o and somehow that's perfectly normal and just the way it is. :mellow::unsure:  :rolleyes: 

Do you have casting casting calls like that?

A-type. Skinny tanned with long natural hair. Blond, Busty, blue and green eyes only. Classy rich girls, supermodel type. Hottest of the hot.

If thats the role being cast. 

Casting - Male 6 foot or taller, arms must be 22inchs, tan, light colored eyes, 6 pack abs, high IQ, well dressed. 

And you're missing the point those are guide lines to follow. If the person truly thinks they are Super model hot then will show up, no ones gonna say you have a weave so you can't play the hot girl. They are using spefics to scare away the random waste of times you would show up. 

You know how awkward it is too show your tits on screen on a big set? If you can't handle a casting call saying must be super model hot or  you don't personally think your super model hot then you're not right for the role and would probably have a damn hard time being topless and completely comfroatble in front of people. 

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 1

If thats the role being cast. 

Casting - Male 6 foot or taller, arms must be 22inchs, tan, light colored eyes, 6 pack abs, high IQ, well dressed. 

And you're missing the point those are guide lines to follow. If the person truly thinks they are Super model hot then will show up, no ones gonna say you have a weave so you can't play the hot girl. They are using spefics to scare away the random waste of times you would show up. 

You now how awkward it is too show your tits on screen on a big set? If you can't handle a casting call saying must be super model hot or don't think your super model hot then you're not right for the role and would probably have a damn hard time being topless in front of people. 

I can't believe how you're missing the point, man. What does your exemple got to do with racism?

Your exemple applying to the same SOC casting call:

A-type: Male 6 foot or taller, arms must be 22inchs, tan, light colored eyes, 6 pack abs, high IQ, well dressed. Light skinned. Straight hair. Well-educated. Top of the hot crop.

B-type: Male 5 foot 11 and taller, fair pale skin. Brown eyes. straight hair. Graduated. Fit.

C-type: Male  5 foot 10. Brown and medium skin and Dark eyes. Curly hair. Average body size. Middle Eastern accepted.

D-type: Male 5 foot 7 and taller.(Must be under 6 foot though). dark skinned and dark eyes. Curly, dread, bald. Chubby. poor. high school drop-out.

How do you not see that I'm making an arbitrary hierarchy in my casting call based on skin color unfairly linked to social status putting them into sub-groups, ranking them into an attractivity ladder by correlation otherwise known as "racism". Like you can't be dark brown, dark eyed, be 6 foot tall with 6 pack abs, graduated and A-type? Your skin tone defines your hotness, social status and abilities in life?

Edited by MADash Rendar
  • Like 1

This is a very grey area for me. On the one hand that casting call is absolutely a disgrace to the industry, but at the same time I see Jay's point in general. You can't have Thor be a 50 year old overweight guy, so you do have to be specific for the characters attributes to fit whatever role is being cast for. You can't have a teen playing someone's mother and you can't have bad guys with guns look skinny and nerd like. The casting call was definitely too far and racist, but in general I'm with Jay that people for certain roles do need to have certain attributes to make the movie believable.

Edited by Mattrek Loves Del Toro
  • Like 3

What I'm saying is in casting you have to treat everything the same. Age, Race, height, skin tone, eye color, weight, its all the same. Its nothing personal. You have to also understand that these descriptions are for what they invasion that person to look like. So you want people to be closish. 

For example my movie, I don't remember exactly what we said but I did specify Brunette/dark hair for my leading lady, guess what I had 4 blondes come in still and I ended up casting one! My leading lady is a blonde even though I said the role was for a dark haired girl. She was the best actress and had everything else I wanted for the role even her eye color. And yeah I mean in general, I agree the SOC casting call was surprising and over the top, it definitely went to far. 

Edited by Jay Hollywood