stripe

Monday Numbers: 22J 6.9,HTTYD2 5.1,Malef 2.2

so we all like those movies from the silver age which means we all just blame Pocahontas for the silver age being the silver age. Otherwise it would have been a continuation of the golden age.

I like them, some very much but then I also kind of liked Pocahontas but Beauty & The Beast, The Lion King, Aladdin and The Little Mermaid are just on another level as a group.

• Like 2

lol

Of those I have recently rewatched, I'd rank: HOND, Hercules, Mulan, Mermaid. Don't particularly like the last two. HOND is great.

yeah I didn't care for HOND when I first saw it as a kid when it came out, but now I see it in a totally different way. I think it was a bit too dark and mature and it scared off the kids. Wait, why does this sound familiar..

• Like 1

I like them, some very much but then I also kind of liked Pocahontas but Beauty & The Beast, The Lion King, Aladdin and The Little Mermaid are just on another level as a group.

yeah.. I've always thought that also, but I recently rewatched them and honestly I don't think Aladdin is particularly better movie than the Hunchback of Notredame or even Hercules. But I do realize the big 4 had their own magic. Quality-wise they might not be the 4 best films that Disney put out in the 90s' but the charm they have it's just on another level and it just blinds us in some way.

• Like 1

so we all like those movies from the silver age which means we all just blame Pocahontas for the silver age being the silver age. Otherwise it would have been a continuation of the golden age.

Pocahontas, Hunchback, Hercules, Pocahontas, Mulan and Tarzan are all considered to be part of the Disney Renaissance, especially since they follow specific Disney tropes that the company tried to throw out the window beginning with The Emperor's New Groove.

• Like 2

yeah.. I've always thought that also, but I recently rewatched them and honestly I don't think Aladdin is particularly better movie than the Hunchback of Notredame or even Hercules. But I do realize the big 4 had their own magic. Quality-wise they might not be the 4 best films that Disney put out in the 90s' but the charm they have it's just on another level and it just blinds us in some way.

i think the songs elevate them, along with the nostalgia.

• Like 2

i watched Fault in our stars yesterday. mediocre movie, not good, not bad, it is insistent, some dialogue are poorly positioned, i don't liked Ansel's performance, it was below average and bit expressive. Shailene was great and actors who played Hazel's parents did a very good job.(i don't know their names). last 20 minutes are very bad paced, too insistent. Final is sad but it didn't make me cry (i cried with UP).

5/10

• Like 1

yeah.. I've always thought that also, but I recently rewatched them and honestly I don't think Aladdin is particularly better movie than the Hunchback of Notredame or even Hercules.

It is. Aladdin is just on another level.

• Like 2

Learning all the wrong lessons from movies

Posted Image

This is what happens when awful teen melodramas like TFIOS make cancer victims throw up once in a while,maybe faint once or twice but in general stay Hollywood pretty with none of the horrible side effects of actual cancer victims.

They could have had the flu in the film and the symptoms wouldn't have been much different.

Edited by The Dark Samurai
  • Like 3

Dat 90's rating system. Im still not sure how Lion King and Tarzan got G's. TLK definitely had "thematic elements" and a surprising amount of implied violence - like when its implied the hyenas eat Scar, lmao still kinda graphic. And in Tarzan how the baby monkey is implied eaten, and then theres the poacher guy with the gun, and he gets hanged by vines in the end, during a thunderstorm.I feel like it they werent Disney they wouldve gotten PG's. Doesnt matter at all, but its just something ive always been fascinated with. That and Titanics full frontal. Oh MPAA.

Ehh... I'd say people today are just too sensitive about what's G and PG ;) . IMO, most PG movies with "rude humor", "thematic elements", or "mild peril" are Gs, Kids survived both of those just fine... a little peril/intensity in a film won't cause them permanent damage. 

Black Cauldron, Hunchback of Notre Dame (Hellfire sequence pushes it over the top), DINOSAUR, Atlantis - The Lost Empire and Wreck-it Ralph have been the only truly PG Disney animated films (Frankenweenie and Nightmare Before Christmas, along with Pixar and Studio Ghibli are separate) 

The rest are perfectly fine for general audiences (that doesn't mean just kids under the age of 5 - really you shouldn't be watching any TV/movies until you're 3 anyways, and parental guidance should always be a given at this age... no reason for a child to be watching anything alone until they're older) 

Rango, We Bought a Zoo, the first two Shreks, Up, The Incredibles, SpongeBob SquarePants Movie, both National Treasures, Enchanted, Elf, both HTTYD films, Secret Life of Walter Mitty, Hugo, and Life of Pi - some of the films that deserved a PG from the last 15 years. But the rest are mainly G rated, but parents shouldn't let kids under a certain age watch movies by themselves anyway. Don't let the TV, video games, computers, films, etc... babysit your kids.

• Like 1