kayumanggi

MI4/SH2 midnights thread and Thurs #'s

http://www.deadline....rising-preview/

FRIDAY 9 AM: It’s a holiday miracle considering how badly domestic box office has been slumping for the past five months. But now pent-up moviegoer demand for the big Christmas blockbusters — even though this weekend’s are three sequels — is looking to send grosses soaring. I’m told that, playing on just 425 screens in 425 locations from Thursday evening through midnight shows, the new Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol opened with a huge $1.1 million. As reference, M:I3 did $1.1M of midnight business on over 2,000 screens. ”This is a great start,” a Paramount exec gushed. Of course, Paramount’s M:I4 grosses were goosed by none other than Warner Bros’ The Dark Knight Rises preview footage in IMAX theaters alongside the Tom Cruise-Jeremy Renner starrer. “It’s a pretty compelling package,” Paramount tells me. “Given how strong early sales were for midnight shows, IMAX asked to open Thursday evening to get the word of mouth started. Since the plan was getting people to see the film early, we gladly said OK.” This weekend, M:I4 debuts alongside what’s expected to be the biggest opener this holiday season, Warner Bros’ Sherlock Holmes 2: A Game Of Shadows, as well as Fox’s Alvin And The Chipmunks 3: Chipwrecked. Since Sherlock wasn’t booked into IMAX, Warner Bros couldn’t pair its Batman threequel prologue with its own product and lost a valuable earning opportunity which went instead to Paramount on a silver platter. To say that Warner Bros was annoyed is an understatement. More later today.

Edited by baumer

Gitesh confirms the number, That is quite massive. This is a great strategy by Paramount. It also helps that nothing worth seeing in Imax has been playing there for a while. Really, did anyone pay $18.00 to see Happy Feet 2 in 3D in IMAX?

Very good for MIGP and SH, wonder if more films will do this if MIGP does good for the IMAX performances, Paramount are doing a similar strategy in the UK releasing it on the 21st December in IMAX and other superscreens before its general release on Boxing Day although TBH I think Paramount should have simply release it wide on the 21st because there's nothing out that week.

Well they can't open on Christmas Day as most cinemas are shut unlike in the US but Boxing Day-NYD is usually a busy one but I think both MIGP and TGWTDT should have taken advantage of no releases on the 21-24 December.

Edited by Jonwo

1 New Year's Eve $1,058,002 3% 3,505 -- $302 $17,405,754 1 Warner Bros. / New Line 2 The Sitter $756,534 -4% 2,750 -- $275 $13,321,306 1 Fox 3 The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 $678,675 4% 3,604 -442 $188 $262,130,081 4 Summit 4 Immortals $272,073 -3% 2,299 -328 $118 $81,038,005 5 Relativity Media