rukaio101

CAYOM Y9: Part 2- Predictions

So based on these predictions, Red Pyramid will have a high-30s and low-40s opening weekend, then have decent legs to around $135M-$150M.

Considering how well the movie will do overseas, I'm completely satisfied with a domestic gross of that caliber.

Well, since Part 1 is finally closed so Part 2 must rise. I'll have my April predicts up in a few hours

April 5-7

Chuck Norris and Liam Neeson vs. the Underworld is definitely going to be a smash hit, but whether it’ll reach the franchise’s massive heights is unknown. The main problem is the over-saturated market, with movies like Teen Titans, Legacy of the Joestars: Phantom Blood, The Red Pyramid and Our Future having taken up the market for the past two months. Chuck Norris and Liam Neeson is coming off the back of this crowded box office, so reaching a new height for the franchise is probably neigh. Still, with the franchise’s always high commercial success, and this time with cameos from the Justice League and The Last Six characters, it should still be a success this weekend. I think a weekend number of $51-55 million is a good prediction. I Am Malala is also getting released in 1,943 theaters, a very wide opening for a documentary, which isn’t a very large genre box office wise. However, the bigger push should drive it to a gross on par with $7-10 million.

April 12-14

Me and My Shadow will definitely lead this weekend. Animation is definitely in a glout this year, as nothing has debuted over $25 million. With an intriguing and inventive premise, along with great pre-release buzz, Me and My Shadow should be the first to truly succeed. A good comparison is Amulet, another warmly-received animation project that opened to $48 million. Amulet, however, opened in the summer, where kids are out of school. Me and My Shadow should still earn close to what Amulet earned in Year 7, with around $41-45 million. Polybius could do well in it’s own right. Horror audiences haven’t had a new horror film since The Cave from February, so the market is clear for another horror success. It does suffer from opening on the back end of Chuck Norris and Liam Neeson vs. the Underworld, but it should still open to around $18-21 million.

April 19-21

Me and My Shadow, if word-of-mouth is as strong as expected, may hold first place this weekend. The other contender for first place is The 5th Wave, which should debut the highest among the four new nationwide releases. It does seem a bit cramped in the schedule, but it’s highly likely to debut over $25 million, and $30 million is a possibility (thankfully, with the $75 million budget, it won’t be a box office bomb). I think it’ll take second place with $27-29 million. Portentous Dealings is going to serve an older audience that has been neglected as of late, so it’ll also do well in it’s own right. This demographic usually doesn’t rush out on opening weekend, but $15-19 million is still a very good prediction. MST3K: Thomas the Tank Engine will take 3rd place among the new movies. While review comedy was more niche back when the original MST3K existed, internet celebrities like the Nostalgia Critic and JonTron have found success with the genre, so the format is very much alive. Plus, with fans of the show and people who really hate Michael Bay dying to see this film, it should do well in it’s own right. Don’t expect it to make a huge splash though, and I’m expecting $9-12 million. Horror House 2, however, will bomb. The first Horror House opened to an excellent $33 million, but with the worst kind of word-of-mouth possible, it closed with $56 million. The first is seen as more of an unintentional comedy, so serious horror fans and people who truly want to be scared will see more lucrative fare that a poorly reviewed horror sequel. I’m thinking $6-10 million.

April 26-28

Dawn of the Last Six comes five years after fantasy epic The Last Six, which earned $69 million on it’s opening weekend in Year 4. The five-year gap probably doesn’t help Dawn’s case, but being the first big tentpole of the summer does position it very well. I think it’ll definitely earn over $75 million, but maybe not so much higher.

• Like 3

My thoughts on this are mostly aligned with Alpha's but I spent the time typing this up anyway, so I might as well post it. 

April 5-7

I wasn’t expecting to be saying this at the beginning of the year but, at the moment, I’m looking towards the lower end of expectations for Norris/Neeson. Don't get me wrong, the lower end of expectations for this film is still pretty high but not as high as I was expecting at the beginning of the year. Q1 overperformed beyond anyone's expectations and the more subdued performance of the latter half of March isn’t going to soften the damage enough to help. In particular, Numbers Theory’s success is going to seriously damage this film and I don’t think it has a chance of matching that film’s OW. Combined with franchise fatigue really starting to dig in (the last entry only being saved by a crossover with another popular property) and I think we're looking at a high 40's opening.

Chuck Norris and Liam Neeson vs the Underworld- $48.6m

April 12-14

Me & My Shadow is probably the only major release this month that I think is poised to break out. With 'If...' seriously disappointing and no really strong animated breakout critically/financially in Q1, Me & My Shadow could easily do Legend of Redwall or Amulet numbers if it’s well enough received.

Polybus might do okay. It's been a month or two since the last horror film and it won't be hurt too much by the overperformances in Q1. Obviously, it won't break out much, but it should garner a respectable total.

Me & My Shadow- $46.2m

Polybus- $16.6m

April 19-21

Despite being one of the biggest weekends this year, I don't see any of these films passing $30m OW, especially considering two bigger and more anticipated blockbusters are following it.

Due to being the biggest movie, The Fifth Wave is obviously going to take first. I pretty much agree with Alpha's analysis of it. 

Horror House 1 was very poorly received and only did as well as it did because it had a Friday the 13th release. The small ‘So Bad it’s Good’ cult following the first films has is not going to save this one. Mixed with an already horror heavy Q1 and the current April black hole, this is going to open very very low. Will probably struggle to hit $10m.

Portentious Dealings is a bit more of a wildcard. I’m not entirely sure where on the box office scale it’ll land. Naturally, considering how competitive this weekend is and the general underperformance of April, a very high total is out of the question but it could do alright.

MST3K? Hell if I know. Wasn’t really thinking about box office when I posted it. I suppose the lack of comedies might help it but I’d be surprised if it cracks $15m. It’ll almost certainly make its budget back so I’m not fussed.

The 5th wave- $28.5m

Portentious Dealings- $17.3m

MST3K- $11.6m

Horror House 2- $8.2m

April 26-28

Well, Age of the Last Six is looking to start the Summer a week early. Will it succeed? Maybe. Don’t get me wrong, with the success the first film had, $45mil OW is probably the floor and I suspect it will be the film to end the April black hole like a… black hole end-y thingy (yeah, I failed Astronomy). But from what I can tell the first film had somewhat mixed/barely positive reviews which, combined with a four year gap, means the sequel isn’t exactly surefooted enough to pull a Captain America or Fast Five, both of which had strong, tested and long-running franchises to lean on. At the moment, I think it’s going to come down to critical review. If it’s critically acclaimed like Cap and Fast Five were, then I can see a strong increase to possibly the 80’s. If it gets poor or mixed/barely positive ones like the last film there’ll not be much of, if any, increase.

Age of the Last Six- $70.2m

Edited by Rukaio Alter
  • Like 3

I don't typically say people are predicting my film wrong, especially since I'm doing actuals, but I gotta overanalyze this

April 5-7

Chuck Norris and Liam Neeson vs. the Underworld is definitely going to be a smash hit, but whether it’ll reach the franchise’s massive heights is unknown. The main problem is the over-saturated market, with movies like Teen Titans, Legacy of the Joestars: Phantom Blood, The Red Pyramid and Our Future having taken up the market for the past two months. Chuck Norris and Liam Neeson is coming off the back of this crowded box office, so reaching a new height for the franchise is probably neigh. Still, with the franchise’s always high commercial success, and this time with cameos from the Justice League and The Last Six characters, it should still be a success this weekend. I think a weekend number of $51-55 million is a good prediction. I Am Malala is also getting released in 1,943 theaters, a very wide opening for a documentary, which isn’t a very large genre box office wise. However, the bigger push should drive it to a gross on par with $7-10 million.

Chuck/Liam goes for a totally different market of any of the four movies you've listed. Also, Justice League and Last Six cameos are meant to be total surprises to the audience. Not really an issue though

My thoughts on this are mostly aligned with Alpha's but I spent the time typing this up anyway, so I might as well post it. 

April 5-7

I wasn’t expecting to be saying this at the beginning of the year but, at the moment, I’m looking towards the lower end of expectations for Norris/Neeson. Don't get me wrong, the lower end of expectations for this film is still pretty high but not as high as I was expecting at the beginning of the year. Q1 overperformed beyond anyone's expectations and the more subdued performance of the latter half of March isn’t going to soften the damage enough to help. In particular, Numbers Theory’s success is going to seriously damage this film and I don’t think it has a chance of matching that film’s OW. Combined with franchise fatigue really starting to dig in (the last entry only being saved by a crossover with another popular property) and I think we're looking at a high 40's opening.

Chuck Norris and Liam Neeson vs the Underworld- $48.6m

Okay, here's the thing: Numbers Theory was a slow-burn PG-13 thriller. Chuck/Liam is a balls-to-the-walls rated R action comedy. I don't see how Numbers Theory's success hurts Chuck/Liam, if anything it should help. Also, there hasn't been franchise fatigue at all for Chuck/Liam; the last film was the biggest yet (the only reason the opening went down was that it opened on a Wednesday). If this was making its original Year 8 release, then yes, I'd agree some fatigue is in order, but by taking a year off, I'd imagine audiences are hungry for more of its unique comedy/action.

IMO, Chuck/Liam's floor is 55M OW, regardless of saturation of market. That said, I'll try to remain unbias during actuals

Apr. 5-7Opening on the tail ends of a couple of big blockbusters released between February and March, competition remains stiff and CHUCK NORRIS AND LIAM NEESON VS. THE UNDERWORLD could succumb to that competition. Still, with each new entry grossing more than the last, I think it is mostly safe to say that the franchise fatigue hasn't worn out just quite yet. Coupled with the fact that this new entry seems to unleashing hell, setting up for the eventual finale to come, there is no doubt that audiences will flock to see the film it's opening weekend. It is also expected to be the highest grossing film in the franchise, thus far. I highly doubt that it will underperform. A Mid-60's opening weekend is probably in order. I AM MALALA, is the newest documentary to hit theaters. While the subject itself has created controversy itself, I don't really think it's an issue most audiences are going to really care about. Most documentaries focus on world wide problems and to be honest, this is a bit of a minor problem we face. Still I expect this to do semi-well. A 5-10 million opening is a reasonable one. CN&LNvs.TU- $65.7mIAM- $5.2mApr. 12-14I have a strong feeling that ME AND MY SHADOW is going to underperform. I don't know what it is. I just have an unusual feeling that audiences aren't going to have the best time with the film as most families are up for more fun and kooky adventures nowadays that most have forgotten about animated films that are for the most part, serious. Their outlook on the genre has mostly changed nowadays and I'm not quite sure this is the type of film for them. Still, I highly doubt it will make under 30 million as there has been strong reviews and most audiences seem to be enjoying the picture. So that is a sigh of relief. A mid-to-low 30's opening is a reasonable one. POLYBIUS, while not a particularly thought-provoking film does have its moments and it seems like it will make a decent amount by he end of its run. A $15 million opening would be a decent opening.MAMS- $33.6m, I do expect it to be number one thoughPolybius- $14.6m

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 1

I'm aware it may not be the brightest idea to argue with the guy doing the totals, but let it never be said I'm particularly gifted in the ways of common sense.

Chuck/Liam goes for a totally different market of any of the four movies you've listed. 

It's main market is action fans. That causes overlap with all four of those movies. Admittedly, usually 'action fans' is a big enough demographic that competition isn't much of an issue but, like Alpha pointed out, the market has become saturated by March's successes (with a big action movie pretty much every week) and it's going to hurt Norris/Neeson. Not nearly enough to kill it, but enough to damage it. (Although, the general lack of big actions in the next two weeks of April should right things in time for Last Six/Summer.)

Okay, here's the thing: Numbers Theory was a slow-burn PG-13 thriller. Chuck/Liam is a balls-to-the-walls rated R action comedy. I don't see how Numbers Theory's success hurts Chuck/Liam, if anything it should help. 

They're both Liam Neeson action movies. That's a recognisable label both in real life and CAYOM that superfluous details like age ratings won't affect, and there's no way you're going to have two $60+ openings in less than three months for them.

Also, there hasn't been franchise fatigue at all for Chuck/Liam; the last film was the biggest yet (the only reason the opening went down was that it opened on a Wednesday). 

But weren't the last two films crossovers with existing properties? And this one isn't? (discounting leftover elements from Santa Claus and Last Six/Justice League appearances at the end) Surely that means this one is more likely to get hit by franchise fatigue?

IMO, Chuck/Liam's floor is 55M OW, regardless of saturation of market. That said, I'll try to remain unbias during actuals

I maintain there's no way Neeson/Norris is opening as high as Numbers Theory. And between both the saturated market and the higher likeliness of franchise fatigue than the other films, I'd be surprised to see it pass $55m. I'd call $44m the floor. 

But weren't the last two films crossovers with existing properties? And this one isn't? (discounting leftover elements from Santa Claus and Last Six/Justice League appearances at the end) Surely that means this one is more likely to get hit by franchise fatigue?

I agree with the argument thing; I don't want to argue much either and ruin the box office totals ;)

I'll reply to one thing though; what I have quoted: Santa Claus really wasn't a property per say. It had one film released two years before Chuck and Liam's crossover. Even before Underworld, Santa Claus has made more appearances in Chuck+Liam movies than his own.

Maybe there will be franchise fatigue; there should be franchise fatigue. However, I think the significantly shorter runtime compared to the last two films will help it out to make 55M or more. (I refuse to give any more details on my personal beliefs on its range thanks to me doing actuals)

Okay, here's the thing: Numbers Theory was a slow-burn PG-13 thriller. Chuck/Liam is a balls-to-the-walls rated R action comedy. I don't see how Numbers Theory's success hurts Chuck/Liam, if anything it should help. Also, there hasn't been franchise fatigue at all for Chuck/Liam; the last film was the biggest yet (the only reason the opening went down was that it opened on a Wednesday). If this was making its original Year 8 release, then yes, I'd agree some fatigue is in order, but by taking a year off, I'd imagine audiences are hungry for more of its unique comedy/action.

You should have thought about that before you made Numbers Theory a huge Q1 breakout. That kind of Liam Neeson saturation in Q1 will have an impact on people's desire to see a Liam Neeson action flick in April.

Will do April predictions in a little.

I feel very pumped today, so I have May predictions done already.

And don't forget Rukaio, Blankments is the one doing actuals. His opinion probably matters more than yours. :lol:

May 3-5

Age of the Last Six will either rule the box office again, or the top spot will go to racing action movie Overdrive. Opening on the back-end of the summer's big opener isn't the greatest move, and some attention may be diverted away from Overdrive. It should attract a sizable audience though, along with the teenagers and college-age kids who aren't so into fantasy spectacles. I think $36-41 million is a good prediction for Overdrive. The other film, Things That Are, is the third in a series of modestly grossing Andrew Clements adaptations. Things Not Seen and Things Hoped For both made $11 million on opening weekend, so expect Things That Are to open around the same with $9-12 million.

May 10-12

The week before Star Wars: Age of the Republic opens, Log Horizon may be in for some good grosses. Although the obvious threat is obvious, Log Horizon will do well in it's own right, and should post OK numbers for an animated flick. I think $39-43 million is a good expectation. Into the Dead is a wild card in my opinion. It's probably the biggest horror flick coming out this quarter, and Polybius is heading out of theaters by now. But what could slow it down is the other high profile releases coming out in a few weeks, including Star Wars, Dauntless, Epicer Chasers and even Train 38, that will drag away the male audience Into the Dead is easily gunning for. I'm gonna play it safe and predict an opening weekend of $20-23 million, but anything could happen,

May 17-19

Star Wars: Age of the Republic is in for the biggest opening of the summer. The franchise is one of the most recognizable in movie history, and the pent-up demand for a new installment is definitely there. It's like a ticking bomb; it's not too long before it explodes. I expect a massive opening of $145-150 million. But the other movie coming out this weekend, Epicer Chasers, is going to be the biggest bomb of the summer. In a decision to see a new Star Wars movie or a sequel to a movie you've completely forgotten, it's pretty obvious what you would pick. I'm only seeing around $11-14 million for Epicer Chasers this weekend, and the drop-offs in the coming weeks will be hilarious.

May 24-27 (Memorial Day Weekend)

Star Wars: Age of the Republic will of course, repeat in first this weekend, though a strong performance from YZMA is expected. The film is sticking out as a colorful re-imaging of The Emperor's New Groove, which is something fresh in a summer of franchise fare. Even with a PG-13 rating, families will definitely choose to see YZMA over the weekend. I think it'll gross around $56-59 million for the three day weekend and over $75 million for the four day weekend. Train 38 is also getting released, but I don't really know how it'll perform. I...guess it'll appeal to horror and fantasy fans? It's reasonable to say this'll make a decent amount (around $17-21 million), but I don't know if it'll truly breakout.

May 31-June 2

Like Overdrive, Dauntless is coming off the back end of another tentpole, and sci-fi fans have already been served quite well this quarter. I won't count it out just yet, but this seem like an "ehh" time to release a sci-fi tentpole when Star Wars is still doing extremely well this weekend. It won't dissapoint, but it won't be a bona fide hit. I'm predicting $44-47 million. Also, rock opera American Idiot is opening this weekend, and I think it could open higher than South Pacific did in May of Year 7 ($18 million). I'm gonna go with $22-26 million.

Edited by Alpha
  • Like 2

April 5-7

Chuck Norris and Liam Neeson are back in the 5th installement of their dynamic duo films, this time they are facing the Underworld. Without a doubt the film will be a success for Blankments productions. It's got everything going in it's favor except given the box office success of films in the month of March one questions if it will meet it's true potential. Underworld will increase slightly from it's predecessor, it's fans will show up for opening weekend without a doubt. I'm unsure of the legs for this film with most of it's hardcore fans rushing out on opening weekend. I'd say it's going to be frontloaded. I Am Malana is opening in close to 2,000 theaters and the documentary will make it's budget back by OW. 

Chuck Norris and Liam Neeson vs. Underworld - 57.5m 

I am Malala - 5.8m 

April 12-14

Finally, in a year full of hits for adults comes what could be the very first animated hit film of the year. Although with If... disappointing one questions if families are taking their kids to these PG-13 movies or R movies *gasp* But let's be real, Me & My Shadow will open above 50m+. With good reviews the film will also have awesome legs. In fact, the film has potential to open close to 60m. The other film releasing this weekend is Polybius and even with Matt Reeves attached to it the film will probably disappoint. Although it could have a decent opening. 

Me & My Shadow - 59.5m 

Polybius - 15.8m 

• Like 2

Chuck & Liam vs. Underworld: 57.19/142.92

I am Malala: 5.82/20.06

Me & My Shadow: 44.02/161.25

Polybius: 15.37/40.05

The Fifth Wave: 37.43/107.55

Horror House 2: 21.62/44.14

Portentous Dealings: 25.36/84.71

Dawn of the Last Six: 78.83/227.09

MST3K: 9.74/25.88

• Like 3

Well Alpha, I suppose things had to even out eventually because I disagree with almost all of your entries for May. Especially Star Wars (since that would be the highest opening in the series by a long shot), Yzma, Overdrive and Dauntless (all for reasons explained below). Honestly, I'm tempted to just go through your post and pick apart all the things I think are massively wrong.

May 3-5

In the actual starting position of the Summer is Overdrive and it has pretty much everything going for it to do well. Not only (even with Last Six officially starting the Summer) is the May opener a very prime spot (to the point where I believe only one film in CAYOM 2.0 (Ant-Man) has failed to pass $60m OW (and it still managed $49m despite being, you know, Ant-Man)) but Overdrive has a very wide target demographic (including gearheads who have been pretty neglected in CAYOM), doesn’t clash badly with many of the films in competition with it (like Last Six or Star Wars) and there’s a certain scene in it that I’m sure will get a lot of publicity. Also, there’s been a strong advertising push (by which I mean I actually wrote a trailer for it (which i thought was pretty good) and I need it to do well for reasons obvious to those who have read it). So yeah, this is probably going to open well. And if it doesn’t, I am going to drive a car over Blankments’s foot.

As for Things that Are, Things Hoped for did decrease significantly (WW) from the first film. On the other hand, it didn’t decrease much OW wise, suggesting these films are frontloaded. I’ll rate it at slightly lower than the second film and assume legs will be awful

Overdrive- $68.5m

Things that Are- $10.8m

May 10-12

Bit iffy about this weekend. Coming off the back end of two near-sure fire successes and coming right before freaking Star Wars isn’t likely to be healthy. On the other hand, neither of these films are traditional blockbusters so I don’t think they’ll be that badly hurt.

Log Horizon’s likely to do well enough thanks to the underperformance of animated films in Q1 and the general lack of ‘all-age friendly’ films this summer. In addition, it should get a good boost from video game fans like Wreck-it Ralph. And it’s positioned well-enough between Me & My Shadow and Thyme that it shouldn’t be hurt much by them. Also I’m confident enough in it to think it’ll be well received critically. At the moment, I’m unsure as to whether it’ll do better than Me & My Shadow or not. At the moment, I’m leaning towards this though since April is a blackhole and May is a goldmine. Then again, M&MS may be able to take advantage of the lack of animated successes better and Log has harsher competition. It’s difficult to tell. Of course, Thyme’s Time is probably going to beat the both of them, but I digress.

As for Into the Dead, I don’t have too high hopes for it. It’s a bit too early in the Summer for Horrors to really start to stand out and with April already providing two horrors in the form of Polybus and Horror House 2 (even with the latter flopping), demand is not going to be high enough for ItD to make its mark. I suppose Henry Cavill may give it a bit of a boost considering Joestar’s surprise breakout but, as Bloodbath Unite showed us last year, a famous CAYOM star does not necessarily guarantee a success.

Log Horizon- $48.1m

Into the Dead- $13.4m

May 17-19

Star Wars is going to open big. In other news, the sky is blue. The question is just how big?

Now, for a bit of comparison, Phantom Menace opened to about $100m adjusted, so let’s use that as a base point. Phantom Menace has many advantages over Age of the Republic, including already established and recognisable characters and, until its release, a spotless critical record and much more goodwill. On the other hand, Age of the Republic has 3D and IMAX screens which easily closes that gap. At the moment, I’m going to gamble it opening slightly above Phantom Menace adjusted. Not too much though. And definitely not $140m level heights. That's far too high.

As for Epicer Chase, it’s opening against Star Wars. What exactly did you expect? Overdrive just a few weeks before is going to sting as well. And Our Future, another Bay flick opened in March. (Come to think about it, between Our Future, MST3K: Thomas the Tank Engine and this, Bay will technically have 3 films out in cinema in as many months. Ain’t that odd?)

Star Wars: Age of the Republic- $107.3m

Epicer Chase- $12.4m

May 24-27

Yzma is not going to nearly as well as Alpha thinks it will for one very simple reason. Emperor’s New Groove is not that popular. Don’t get me wrong, I love that movie but, in terms of the Disney Animated Canon, it’s definitely one of the more obscure flicks and not even in the same league in general recognition as Sleeping Beauty or Maleficient. Hell, it didn’t even make $15m OW adjusted. Hell, I didn’t even remember what Yzma’s name was until Blank mentioned it. In addition, this weekend is far more likely to suffer from being overshadowed by Star Wars than May 10. Don’t get me wrong, it may scoop a decent total but I don’t see any chance of it beating $40m (for the three-day).

Train 38… I’m really not sure. Depends on whether it falls more on the thriller side of things than the horror or not. If the former it may do alright. If the latter, it may end up being overshadowed like I think Into the Dead will be.

Yzma- $28.1m/$34.9m

Train 38- $16.8m/$20.3m

May 31- June 2

I don’t believe Dauntless will be hurt at all much by Star Wars. After the first two weeks, the largest chunk of Star Wars’s audience will be out of the way and willing to move onto different things. And considering Star Wars, to the best of my memory, is the only big sci-fi blockbuster this quarter so far and, from what I can tell of CAYOM, there’s a very big appetite for Sci-fi movies, Dauntless should still have a fair share of demand to take advantage of. In addition, it has plenty of noticeable differences from Star Wars, with the former being a Sci-Fi Fantasy Space Opera and the latter being more of a Military style Sci-Fi thriller with heavy emphasis on spaceship battles rather than lightsaber fights. In addition, it has a very distinct visual style which will draw a large 3D/Imax crowd, similar to Gravity.

American Idiot, I’m not too sure about either. I think it may be a bit early in the Summer for non-blockbustery fare to stand but I don’t see reason for it to fail much. I’ll go with low 20’s

Dauntless- $75.9m

American Idiot- $21.4m

• Like 2

The predictions this year are moving rather quickly, lol

I was going to wait until tomorrow to post May but I felt the need to rebuff Alpha's predictions. Especially for Overdrive and Dauntless. My reaction to those was my equivalent of Alpha's reaction to my Red Pyramid predict. Except I'm more justified since those weren't remakes. 

• Like 1