Crunching the Numbers: Year Nine (1st Quarter Reviews)

Overdrive

Should have been titled Over The Top. Also, only a $95 million budget with all of that cast and those action setpieces? Someone needs to cease and desist with the BO underperformance talk considering how cheaply the film was made than it probably should have been.

BThings That Are

Standard Teen Romance With Sci-Fi Twist, Part 3

B-Log HorizonIt's a very thrilling and adventurous and fun film with some excellent vocal casting. My one fault of note is that the PG-rating feels very restrictive, given all the fantasy violence that happens in the movie.B+/A-Into the Dead

Minor Quibbles: First, there is no way it would take zombies only 12 hours to get from the Mexican border to Chicago. It takes about 21 hours of non-stop driving, and zombies can't run 60 mph (in fact the zombies in this movie mostly walk except for occasional sprints).

Minor Quibble 2: Paris is not on the coast of France.

My problem with the film is that it takes almost no time to build up any atmosphere or tension and the character development is essentially zero. It's just a vehicle for showing zombie carnage and hysteria on the move with no time to breathe. There is a lot of missed opportunities in favor of just killing people off and showing heavy violence in notable locations. I was very disappointed with this film.

C-Epicer Chase

Not So Epic/10

Until DAT ENDING TWISTStar Wars: Age of the Republic

The Force Is With This/10American Idiot

The casting has some issues, but it is a rollicking and intense musical that hits a good deal on the themes of contemporary social malaise and insecurities.

B/B+

• Like 4

Yeah, I really probably should've increased Overdrive's budget, especially after the city scene. I'll just handwave it as fees paid by the car companies for their product placement.

Also, joint-best review of the year for Log Horizon! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I had a lot of fun writing it. Honestly, I was kinda confused at the slightly tepid reaction I had for it. (Although admittedly, that was mostly just Blank.)

• Like 1

If it was PG-13 it would have been a full A-, but I think the PG rating hurt given all the action that goes on in the film with monsters and people.

Yeah. I did end up having to tone some stuff down to fit it into a PG rating. I figured I'd be able to get away with it since the fighting would be very fantasy-esque and bloodless. Probably shouldn't have slipped the 'manwhore' line in there though. The issue was, as we all know, PG-13 animated films don't tend sell all that well. Heck, I've still got my work cut out for me trying to find a good spot for the R-rated Cybernetic 7.

Good to know you really enjoyed it though.

• Like 1

Yeah. I did end up having to tone some stuff down to fit it into a PG rating. I figured I'd be able to get away with it since the fighting would be very fantasy-esque and bloodless. Probably shouldn't have slipped the 'manwhore' line in there though. The issue was, as we all know, PG-13 animated films don't tend sell all that well. Heck, I've still got my work cut out for me trying to find a good spot for the R-rated Cybernetic 7.

Good to know you really enjoyed it though.

PG-13 animated films have had success in this game. We try not to have as much stigma in certain genres or mixes.

The End of the Universe, a Year 1 PG-13 animated sci-fi adventure, opened to 28.3 million but then legged it out to 239.6 million, due to a mix of strong reviews and March/April not being that intense. Given how insanely good the legs were, I suspect a more normalized OW for it in this game would have been around 45-50m.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 2

Oh f*ck me. I am such an IDIOT!!! How the flying f*ck did I think Paris was on the coast of France not near the northern part NOT near water?! I'm going to suck ass in Social Studies this year.I'm really disappointed on how the film turned out. I was planning on making it an actual tense thriller but it just ended up becoming a WWZ clone yet WORSE! I was planning on doing a sequel but after the underwhelming box office and this review/Spaghetti's review are slowly making me decide against. Then again, the sequel probably would have been the same film just with a lot more carnage and less character (essentially being like TF2). I realize now that most of these reviews are more about grading the story, which is probably something I'm going to have to work on.

• Like 1

5 cm per Second

A sad, endearing romantic drama about a young man unable to let go of his first meaningful relationship, his inability to go forward with it haunting his dreams and memories. The unknown unknowns handled themselves well.

B+Tyrant III: The Final Chapter

I join the town in revolting against Max.

C-Fate Stay NightBad Casting with Jake Gyllenhaal as a college student. Very unconvincing. Sam Rockwell is wasted as brute Gilgamesh.It's a visual treat with some great action setpieces, but the plot and mythology seems very unnecessarily tangled.B-/BSir Thymes Time 2

This sequel half-sprints/half-stumbles into an even more bizarre representation of music, electronics, and the modern age. I think it's the kind of film best seen while on a hallucinogenic substance that would make the increasibly outlandish or absurdist visuals blend together smoothly.

420/10

• Like 4

Holy shit, I can't wait to read Sir Thymes Time 2 now.

It might have been just me, but how I imagined the film to look just got more and more oddball as it went on. Maybe I was just hungry and my eyes/reading analysis started to get dazed.

Checking Gyllenhaal's current age, you're probably right on that one. I don't know why but whenever I think of Gyllenhaal, I always picture him looking like he did in The Day After Tomorrow. Ah well, I shall handwave it away with very impressive make-up. Or CG. Or whatever they used to make JGL look like a young Bruce Willis.

Also, I agree with you on Gilgamesh which is a shame because he's one of my favourite characters in the show thanks to being the living manifestation of Awesome Ego. Unfortunately, I didn't really have really time to establish his character much, considering all the exposition and character details I'd already crammed in. Luckily, I should definitely get the chance to improve on that with the sequel since I don't need to spend as much time establishing the universe next time around.

1,843 Miles and 28 Hours on I-75 S

There's fun and wit in this road-trip film, but not much under the surface.

B-

Vinland Saga

The period details and action staging is strong, but the film has issues with a too-inscrutable pair of protagonists that makes the film a bit too unnecessarily cold and distant.

B-3:40 AM

Pretty sure we'll not get 3:41 AM

The 39 Clues: Beyond the Grave

Honestly franchise fatigue is really starting to set in with me here, as they're dragging out a single treasure hunt to an exorbitant degree now. Just get to the finish because the general content and structure here is not much different from the other three films.

• Like 2

Top 10 Films of the 1st Half:

1. Log Horizon2. The Thin, The Fat, and The Felon3. Dauntless4. Me & My Shadow5. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney6. 5cm per second7. American Idiot8. The Red Pyramid9. Dawn of the Last Six10. Legacy of the Joestars: Phantom Blood

• Like 5