Plain Old Tele

Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014)

Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014)  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I don't get the issue with product placement.  Why does it bother you guys so much?  It's part of our world and it's part of business.  Get over it.

Well, it does go beyond just disdain for corporate whoring. I haven't seen this yet (Hopefully it stays that way), but one of the reasons product placement is annoying is that it's one of the most jarring and effective means of taking us out of the world that these movies make, a gesture to try too hard to connect to the reality.

• Like 3

I almost hated this movie.  I can't really hate anything that Bay does because there is always something to like in a Bay film but this is pretty bad.  For me, the human characters are what drives a Transformers movie.  The first three films, and especially the first two, because of Sam and Mikaela, had excellent characters.  Sam was likable to me.  He always had that quintessential fish out of water thing going on.  Even though by the third one, he's used to transforming cars and such, he never lost that wide eyed, what the fuck is happening to me, kind of look and sound.  He and the military guys and Sector 7 and even his goofy parents, were all factors in the interesting and well done dynamic.  

This film has none of that.  To be blunt, I didn't give a damn about any of the human characters.  Wahlberg's character was the most annoying.  And the plot was ridiculous.  I realize there's a level of suspension of disbelief in a film like this but when you can sneak into a top secret place of business that has tight security, just by scanning someone's badge, sorry, you lost me.  And what happens when you don't care about the characters is that you don't care about the Baysplosions.  The reason why Bay's manic direction works so well is because he has characters to care about in every film.  Bad Boys, The Rock, Armageddon and Transformers all had well defined and likable characters.  So when the stuff gets crazy you don't mind it because you have a rooting interest.  In this one, I don't think Ehren Krueger knew what they hell he was writing.  It was lame comedy, no interesting family dynamic and way too many convenient life saving antics.

The only good thing about this film is that for the fifth, they now have the option of bringing back the originals to make it better.

5.5/10

Bravo, agreed on all points. 

• Like 1

I almost hated this movie.  I can't really hate anything that Bay does because there is always something to like in a Bay film but this is pretty bad.  For me, the human characters are what drives a Transformers movie.  The first three films, and especially the first two, because of Sam and Mikaela, had excellent characters.  Sam was likable to me.  He always had that quintessential fish out of water thing going on.  Even though by the third one, he's used to transforming cars and such, he never lost that wide eyed, what the fuck is happening to me, kind of look and sound.  He and the military guys and Sector 7 and even his goofy parents, were all factors in the interesting and well done dynamic. This film has none of that.  To be blunt, I didn't give a damn about any of the human characters.  Wahlberg's character was the most annoying.  And the plot was ridiculous.  I realize there's a level of suspension of disbelief in a film like this but when you can sneak into a top secret place of business that has tight security, just by scanning someone's badge, sorry, you lost me.  And what happens when you don't care about the characters is that you don't care about the Baysplosions.  The reason why Bay's manic direction works so well is because he has characters to care about in every film.  Bad Boys, The Rock, Armageddon and Transformers all had well defined and likable characters.  So when the stuff gets crazy you don't mind it because you have a rooting interest.  In this one, I don't think Ehren Krueger knew what they hell he was writing.  It was lame comedy, no interesting family dynamic and way too many convenient life saving antics. The only good thing about this film is that for the fifth, they now have the option of bringing back the originals to make it better. 5.5/10

Rating seems kinda high for what you said.
  • Like 1

Depends on the person. To me a 5.5 would translate to C+

5 is a D.  I didn't give it a failing mark, just a really bad one.  It's like getting 55/100 on a test.  Not great, but basically you passed because you made the effort to show up.

• Like 1

They were busy on the bridge.

He could have taken one of them while the others were on the bridge. There were four of them.

Three Dinobots and four Autobots could have guarded the bridge while Optimus rode the one Dinobot and easily took out Lockdown.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1

He could have taken one of them while the others were on the bridge. There were four of them.

Three Dinobots and four Autobots could have guarded the bridge while Optimus rode the one Dinobot and easily took out Lockdown.

How would he have contacted them?

• Like 1

How would he have contacted them?

I'll put this simply then. Optimus is the one who told the Autobots and Dinobots to protect the bridge, which is right before he went after Lockdown. Why couldn't he have told one of the Dinobots to stay with him?

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1

I'll put this simply then. Optimus is the one who told the Autobots and Dinobots to protect the bridge, which is right before he went after Lockdown. Why couldn't he have told one of the Dinobots to stay with him?

Umm.. I'm watching the movie again tomorrow so I'll be looking out if there's a good explanation for that (apart from the obvious set up for Prime VS Lockdown 1 on 1).

I thought the dinosaur scene at the start was to set up the dinobots, but that never comes into play in the movie.

I think that was a dinosaur frozen by a Seed, the metal. They talked about how dinosaurs became extinct by Cybertronians using Seeds to create their metal and not an asteroid like what was originally believed. Edited by Jay Beezy

Well, it does go beyond just disdain for corporate whoring. I haven't seen this yet (Hopefully it stays that way), but one of the reasons product placement is annoying is that it's one of the most jarring and effective means of taking us out of the world that these movies make, a gesture to try too hard to connect to the reality.

I do appreciate when films can be subtle about it. There's a ton of product placement in The Spectacular Now but instead of being a distraction, it actually enhances the realism of the film.

• Like 2

I do appreciate when films can be subtle about it. There's a ton of product placement in The Spectacular Now but instead of being a distraction, it actually enhances the realism of the film.

That's why product placement works better in smaller, more low key films, IMO. It's much harder to get away with it in these huge blockbuster. It's not like Eight Crazy Nights, though, where product placement mascots literally convince Adam Sandler to change his ways through a musical number.

Awful film.  Just awful.  Worse by far are the missed opportunities.  So many characters and hints subplots that could have been really, really good blown right past for no reason whatever.  Not even good action.  More shots miss than hit, and the new tranformation effects look like something from a tv movie.

When a Marky-Mark gag with a bottle of beer is the best thing about your film, you've got problems.  Especially when you can't even get that gag right.  (The tops don't pop off of screw top aluminum bottles!)

Transformers

Way the fuck on down

TF: RotF

TF: AoE

Go down some more, past the bottom of your screen, dig a hole in the ground a ways and then you'll find Dark of the Moon.

Edited by Brilliant Dynamite Neon
  • Like 2