La Binoche

Tues #s (Rth): 22j 4.4,HTTYD2 4.3,TLAM2 2.5,Malef 2.3,JB 2

I'm probably going to look back at this month scratching my head at why Maleficent--among the worst family movies I've ever seen--did so much better than Dragon 2, one of the best family movies I've ever seen.

When will people understand (and this is a well-known fact) that audiences don't give a shit about what critics or “experts” consider good or bad? It's really not science: when a film connects with audiences, it connects with audiences. Simple as that. Trying to analyze it based on perceived “quality” is an exercise in futility. Why did Transformers become a smash while The Iron Giant flopped? Why did Mamma Mia! (54% on RT) hit it big while Once (97 %) was ignored by audiences? You could point out plenty of factors, but at the end of the day it's all about audiences' connecting with some movies and NOT connecting with others.
  • Like 9

theoretically the potential for long legs is still there

Yes.... there is a small chance still for 200m.

1st week was 70m. 2nd week is looking to be around 38m. If it has 30% weekly drops from here on, it can reach 200m.

Edited by Fake
  • Like 1

When will people understand (and this is a well-known fact) that audiences don't give a shit about what critics or “experts” consider good or bad? It's really not science: when a film connects with audiences, it connects with audiences. Simple as that. Trying to analyze it based on perceived “quality” is an exercise in futility. Why did Transformers become a smash while The Iron Giant flopped? Why did Mamma Mia! (54% on RT) hit it big while Once (97 %) was ignored by audiences? You could point out plenty of factors, but at the end of the day it's all about audiences' connecting with some movies and NOT connecting with others.

Not sure how Once is getting compared here.  At it's widest, it was only on 150 screens.  It did very well for itself, making almost $10m from a budget of $150k.

• Like 2

I think audience can also be pretty specific about what they want in certain movies. Maleficent was advertised as a Jolie show, and they got that out of it. Kinda the same way that people simply want to see a Transformers movies for spectacular actions and visuals with robots. And Bay gives them that.

• Like 6

I think the tragedy aspect of the HTTYD movies is what are keeping alot of kids an families away. I mean the last one he lost his leg and in this one 

HIs father got killed

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

• Like 7