CJohn

Weekend Estimates | TF4 - 100M (Paramount sticking to 100M for the Wknd Est)| More Numbers on Page 1

It's my favorite movie by him, and one of my favorites all time.

It's not among my favorite movies, but it's my favorite Michael Bay movie that or The Rock.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

Lindelof has already pretty much admitted that the event the show is based around won't be explained. He's just taking the audience on a ride to nowhere. Won't even waste my time watching the first episode.

The Island is underrated. I actually think it's a genuinely good movie.

Yes, and on the other hand it actually showed Bay's in-abilities IMO. Bay's good at consistently throwing entertainment (action, humor etc. Whether you like it or not is another issue) at you, but The Island got a quite unique story comparing to Bay's other works, and it needs to be slow at the 1st half to build the tension so the 2nd half could pay off. Bay didnt try self-breakthrough and instead he did what he usually does, aka quick-cut, unsubtle framing and dialogue, and that just drove away all the elments that's critical to build the tension. Bay clearly didn't think of the 1st half as a device to make the 2nd half work. He just viewed it as a chapter that the audience should be entertained, like he always thought. As a result, the 1st half wasn't that entertaining, and the 2nd half didn't get justified, and I think that's why it bombed at the boxoffice and got slammed by the critics despite having a much deeper story than Bay's usual works.

But still, I think it's a enjoyable movie with a cool story and I liked it much more than Bad Boys and Armageddon.

Edited by vc2002

Yes, and on the other hand it actually showed Bay's in-abilities IMO. Bay's good at consistently throwing entertainment (action, humor etc. Whether you like it or not is another issue) at you, but The Island got a quite unique story comparing to Bay's other works, and it needs to be slow at the 1st half to build the tension so the 2nd half could pay off. Bay didnt try self-breakthrough and instead he did what he usually does, aka quick-cut, unsubtle framing and dialogue, and that just drove away all the elments that's critical to build the tension. Bay clearly didn't think of the 1st half as a device to make the 2nd half work. He just viewed it as a chapter that the audience should be entertained, like he always thought. As a result, the 1st half wasn't that entertaining, and the 2nd half didn't get justified, and I think that's why it bombed at the boxoffice and got slammed by the critics despite having a much deeper story than Bay's usual works.

But still, I think it's a enjoyable movie with a cool story and I liked it much more than Bad Boys and Armageddon.

Really? I actually felt the beginning took awhile to set up, and my parents felt the same way. My dad commented saying he really liked the movie once it got into the them escaping, he felt the same like I did that setting it up took awhile, but not overly long that it hurt it.