BobbyJohn

By The Sea | Angelina Jolie/Brad Pitt (Nov 13)

http://www.deadline.com/2014/07/universal-buys-angelina-jolie-brad-pitt-pic-deadline-broke-in-may/

Every studio was after it, but Universal Pictures acquired worldwide rights to the script Angelina Jolie is writing to possibly make her next movie, one she’ll star in with Brad Pitt.

Even before the shooting started. Serena could never Posted Image

Edited by BobbyJohn
  • Like 3

8 to 10 weeks? That doesn't sound like all that "small" of a production.

By the looks of it, if she's talking to press about it, scouting locations, and bringing along her go-to DP, I'd say it's almost locked to happen.

If it is more of a drama/artsy project then I'm all for it, she's only done blockbusters for the past several years. Very cool that she might be directing herself as well.

And not to jinx it, but if both she and Pitt are in it, this will get a ton of attention and at the very least shouldn't flop.

PS dddeeeee I would love a Burton/Jolie collab. Praying for that. Maybe she can do both :D

8-10 weeks is on the short end of a production schedule.  They often run 90-120 days (12-16 weeks).

Edited by lilmac
  • Like 1

Lol add 100m then but really, people don't storm theatres for dramas, Hit dramas get what, 300m WW?

Never before has a drama delivered such A-List sex.Ok, yes, I realize this sex scene is totally in my head. I also realize Brad Pitt isn't actually in this scene in my head.
  • Like 3

For a small drama? :blink: Even Pitt/Jolie star power can't make up for lack of action/blockbuster appeal

This is Jolie-Pitt's first time on screen together since they got together.

Edited by Mulder
  • Like 1

THR has some small details about this today, mostly noting that Brangelina will play a married couple in the movie and (bizarrely) they are privy to Jolie's deal for the movie: small upfront fee but double backend with 100% of home video profits.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/brad-pitt-angelina-jolie-set-720222

Edited by aDIM Stormborn
  • Like 2

Some more details about the story from a Jolie interview... OSCAH!

LOS ANGELES—“It’s not an action movie,” Angelina Jolie said in a recent interview about “By the Sea,” her first film with Brad Pitt since 2005’s “Mr. & Mrs. Smith.” The latter movie’s set was where they fell in love. “By the Sea” also marks the first time that she’s directing Brad. “It’s a small, intimate drama. I wrote it for us a few years ago.“

"We have been shy of it for quite a few years because it’s very heavy, about a relationship, people going through and surviving a lot together,” the actress-director said. “It’s not easy. So, we were nervous about being able to handle the material as actors and to take it on together. But, we feel that we’re in a good place to do that now. We are excited about the challenge—and I am directing it, yeah.”

According to the filmmaker, her fiancé and lead actor in “By the Sea” is equally enthusiastic. “Obviously, Brad is willing to have me direct him in a film and work with me. He’s extremely supportive, which is wonderful, because we’re interested in different aspects of film.”

Experimental

The film will reportedly be shot for eight weeks on the island of Gozo in Malta toward the end of August. Angelina was also quoted as saying that it will be “a very experimental, independent type film.”

Edited by aDIM Stormborn

What does this mean?

It means...if the movie does well, she's gonna get paid.  If it doesn't...she won't.

As for double backend...honestly, they don't say double what so it could be lots of things, but perhaps double her normal percentage.  The home video thing means the percentage will be applied to every dollar of home video instead of 20 cents on the dollar.

• Like 1

A number of outlets have been reporting that shooting begins today but there have not been any pics of either Jolie or Pitt at the shooting location yet.Surely if they were there they would have been photographed by now.

From what I gather it is pretty secluded and they've managed to shut down public access to the area, so maybe not.

I'm a bit puzzled that THR has the production schedule going into November. For an alleged intimate character drama that is quite the lengthy shoot.

Edited by aDIM Stormborn