Noctis

Friday Estimates: SH2 $15m, Alv $8m, MI4 $4m

Early B.O.: 'Sherlock Holmes' on track to win in $40s

'Mission: Impossible' large-format-only bow tracking to impressive $11m

By RACHEL ABRAMS

Box office pundits are projecting Warner Bros.' "Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows" to gross between $14 million and $15 million in the U.S. on Friday, putting it on track to win the weekend with a three-day total in the low-to-mid $40 million range.

The Friday take alone could pop with evening auds, especially because it's the last schoolday before holiday break for many families.

Meanwhile, 20th Century Fox toon "Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked" will likely rank second, with observers putting the family film's Friday take at around $10 million, putting it on course for a $30 million three-day gross. More reserved estimations, however, peg the pic's weekend take slightly lower.

Par's "Mission: Impossible -- Ghost Protocol" is also opening today -- but exclusively on large-format screens (425 of them, most of which are IMAX) a week before its wide release. Though box office observers stress the difficulty in predicting this first-ever large-format-only release, the Tom Cruise pic was on pace to earn an impressive $11 million-plus for the weekend, perhaps in part because a seven-minute prologue to "The Dark Knight Rises" will play in front of it.

B.O. watchers estimate that Par holdover "Young Adult" will earn shy of $3 million for the weekend, while WB's holdover "New Year's Eve" is looking to take in around $7 million, at most, pushing it over $20 million gross for two weekends. Fox's "The Sitter" is poised to earn under $5 million.

Edited by Noctis

Before anyone starts whining about these numbers being, "WAAAAYY TOO EARLY,"... yes, we know these numbers are early. That didn't stop you from being interested and clicking the thread anyway.Anyway, as expected, it looks to be another disappointing weekend. Hopefully things heat up as we get closer to Christmas. This is usually a pretty tame weekend anyway.

Edited by tarantino666
  • Like 1

Wow...that's not very good for SH2. It may not even get to 40m this weekend, if it goes down. Alvin 3 also seems effected by the infamous sequel curse of 2011. The only really bright spot of these numbers is Ghost Protocol. WOM is really going to kick in by the time it opens in general theaters. Pretty bad for Young Adult,which may end up barely passing TYFS's adjusted total.

yeah for BD been one of few sequels doing near as well as its predecessors and not disappointing being a sequel and all that!a question immortals finally arrived at my theatre this week and its only in 3D should i shell out the extra $$ or wait for dvd?

That's kind of mediocre for SH2. I expected it to at least get close to the first's OW.Nice start for MI4, though the number could be skewed a little thanks to the TDKR prolog in front of it.

I think at least 30% of moviegoers for MI4 went for the prologue. Nonetheless, it looks M4 might be the only saving grace this winter aside from BD1. And, I honestly don't think Tin Tin will do well DOM. No general movie goer I know seems to care or even know what Tin Tin is for that matter. It might get good DVD/BD sales though.

That`s an epic fail for SH2 if numbers don`t go up too much. What happened to Salander`s drawing power?OTOH, this should be a great news for BD. Might have a good hold.

Her drawing power is worthless. Very pretty, and probably a good actress, but hardly an impact player. I read that her schedule is going to prevent her from deigning to appear in Last Voyage of Demeter and that this may delay or even scuttle the whole project. My thought is, just find someone else.On another note, 40M or so for SH2 is not an epic fail. It's a disappointment for sure, but that still puts it on pace to make a nice profit for the studio, and probably to guarantee a SH3.

That's way more than "kinda mediocre" for SH2.Honestly, I knew that those predictions of a 70-80 million dollar opening weekend were way too much. The first SH seemed to me like one of those films that in spite of the good wom and the lead actor's audience goodwil had a forgettable quality. With an opening so much smaller than the first film's, and those reviews, I don't think even Xmas legs will take this to 200. Most likely will end up between 140-150. Which probably makes a SH3 not worth the effort or the potential budget.

Edited by Cochofles