Noctis

Friday Estimates: SH2 $15m, Alv $8m, MI4 $4m

Not going away any time soon. Trillions of dollars of debt piled up over decades of wasteful spending by the government and consumers alike.

Yeah but why don't they just steal money from another country? Then they don't have to worry about it and everyone is happy.

Not going away any time soon. Trillions of dollars of debt piled up over decades of wasteful spending by the government and consumers alike.

Yeah, and neither side is willing to do what it takes to fix the problem.You need to cut spending (anathema to the Democrats) and raise taxes (anathema to the Republicans). You're pretty screwed to be honest - the only thing you can do is continue to print money to pay your debts and to keep the government running.

They can just pay China for stuff with play money and then run away before they figure out what happened.

Reading genius economic strategies like this makes me wonder why I'm not President really. Has anyone in the US thought of this because the economy over there really seems beyond saving and it might really help. Just make sure that when they get the goods that they scratch out that "Made in China" bit on each item and nobody will be able to prove squat. Edited by Magic

I don't think economy has much to do with anything frankly. US economy is statistically doing better this year compared to last and the box office is much weaker.I think explanation is much simpler. NYE didn't underperform because of economy, the movie just sucked. SH1 was an okay movie and its sequel is looking to drop from the original movie. Alvin 3 is a threequel, enough said. We haven't had a must-see wide release movie this year since DH2. Maybe Muppets but Muppets has never been a major Cinema franchise.

Reading genius economic strategies like this makes me wonder why I'm not President really. Has anyone in the US thought of this because the economy over there really seems beyond saving and it might really help. Just make sure that when they get the goods that they scratch out that "Made in China" bit on each item and nobody will be able to prove squat.

It will create jobs for Scratchers but I am not really sure what else it will achieve. :D

A hell of a lot more than what Obama or the Republicans have.

I don't want to get into a debate about economics and I am far from an expert on US economy but US/Europe almost went into depression in 2008 and it is a miracle that some of these economies are still standing. There is only so much Governments can do after things go really, really bad.**- I don't know much about internal US politics but from my vantage point you can have a very competent Government and you can still get overwhelmed by massive Global downturn.

I don't think economy has much to do with anything frankly. US economy is statistically doing better this year compared to last and the box office is much weaker.I think explanation is much simpler. NYE didn't underperform because of economy, the movie just sucked. SH1 was an okay movie and its sequel is looking to drop from the original movie. Alvin 3 is a threequel, enough said. We haven't had a must-see wide release movie this year since DH2. Maybe Muppets but Muppets has never been a major Cinema franchise.

The whole the "movies sucked" excuse doesn't work because a lot of crap did well in the past. Go back to any year of this decade and crappy movies were doing well and adjust for inflation and all, they outperform movies that we consider did well this year. But the extent to which movies like "What's Your Number?" and "The Big Year" failed is quite telling. It's not like they were the scourge of the Earth-bad movies. "50/50" on opening weekend? Then "Three Musketeers" sure, no one asked for another edition but it's not like it looked any worse than movies from previous years. One must also question the incredible lack of the teenage/young adult age group this year. They can't all have decided to stop watching movies/download everything etc. there's a bigger factor in play, and it is more than likely linked to the economy.edit: Actually, I'll just say, of course it has to do with the economy, how is this even a debate? Since the crash, there's been an almost constant stream of crap news. From Greece, to Portugal, to Italy, the EU have been flirting with destruction for nearly two years. Plus, the constant bickering between the Democrats and the Republicans ensures that nothing gets done in the US, it's harsh but all you have to do is take the cuts. All this let's make it a soft landing crap just delays the inevitable, but your politicians and people are too short-sighted to think of that, partly also because of the whole instant gratification generation. Edited by BK007

The whole the "movies sucked" excuse doesn't work because a lot of crap did well in the past. Go back to any year of this decade and crappy movies were doing well and adjust for inflation and all, they outperform movies that we consider did well this year. But the extent to which movies like "What's Your Number?" and "The Big Year" failed is quite telling. It's not like they were the scourge of the Earth-bad movies. "50/50" on opening weekend? Then "Three Musketeers" sure, no one asked for another edition but it's not like it looked any worse than movies from previous years. One must also question the incredible lack of the teenage/young adult age group this year. They can't all have decided to stop watching movies/download everything etc. there's a bigger factor in play, and it is more than likely linked to the economy.

I agree. Movies are slowly going extinct and kids will soon have to learn how to play hopscotch again.

Maybe lowering ticket prices could be in their best interests, sell a higher volume at a smaller price, and probably earn more, and see the concessions sell even better. Thats why Tuesdays are constantly up these days.

Maybe they could charge 3 dollars a ticket for Michael Bay movies too. Who would ever pay more than that for a Michael Bay movie?Basically just lower prices and stop charging more for a format where I have to wear plastic glasses to see a converted 2.5D movie and get a massive fucking headache in the process.