MovieGuyKyle17

Early Wed Numbers: Tammy 6.18 (incl 1.3 previews), Trans4 7.7, DUFE: 2.8 ETE 2.6...pg 21

didn't know a single person who had even heard of it when I started watching it. they all thought the premise was silly. now every day I see someone in a Heisenberg t-shirt.

(and yes, I do like to pull the hipster "I liked it before it was cool" card. blow me)

Watched the premiere of the X-FILES pilot before any one knew what it was, bitches.

• Like 4

1 too many. And Roberts was at her most annoying in her "hey day." It's only in her more recent work I've been able to tolerate her in some things. She actually was decent in August for example.

You are so mean MovieMan89, lol.

How was she annoying? 

• Like 2

didn't know a single person who had even heard of it when I started watching it. they all thought the premise was silly. now every day I see someone in a Heisenberg t-shirt.

(and yes, I do like to pull the hipster "I liked it before it was cool" card. blow me)

I'm that jerk who totally started watching Breaking Bad in September of last year and also started Mad Men in the hiatus between Season 4 and 5.

I did watch Game of Thrones from episode 1. Yay me.

• Like 4

Are you actually comparing a 21st century comedy star with a 1980s dramatic actress? Because they are worlds apart, in more ways than one.

I'm comparing 2 great actresses and that comedy is handled so disrespectful in hollywood is another big issue.

But it's an overall problem in Hollywood, isn't it? More and more of the same until people forgot how nice it can be, to meet new characters in the theaters, instead of the same old friends, we meet in the latest sequel.

Cash, cash, cash and the result is that creative filmmaking is sold as the boring work of guys like Lars von Trier, while the real deal for hollywood would be more talents like Chris Nolan.

Edited by Poseidon
  • Like 1

I'm comparing 2 great actresses and that comedy is handled so disrespectful in hollywood is another big issue.

But it's an overall problem in Hollywood, isn't it? More and more of the same until people forgot how nice it can be, to meet new characters in the theaters, instead of the same old friends, we meet in the latest sequel.

Cash, cash, cash and the result is that creative filmmaking is sold as the boring work of guys like Lars von Trier, while the real deal for hollywood would be more talents like Chris Nolan.

Whoa!

I'm that jerk who totally started watching Breaking Bad in September of last year and also started Mad Men in the hiatus between Season 4 and 5.

I did watch Game of Thrones from episode 1. Yay me.

started watching mad men after it beat lost's final season at the emmys. had to know my enemy. think it was like halfway through season 4 at that point.

• Like 2

The alternative? The alternative is to make use of her being good, instead of doing the same over and over again.

That's exactly the way a singer like Madonna had a career like this: Make something good and then go on, make something completely different and even better. And to find the way back to hollywood: Here we are with Meryl Streep. She is one of the rare examples in hollywood, she did the Madonna thing. She is all the characters she plays, she is NOT doing a job nowdays, because she was given a chance and of course because she is the best and absolutely brilliant.

I don't see how in the world MM is even on the same level as Streep. Streep came up with Al Pacino and John Cazale and a lot of stage actors who came to film, lol.

• Like 3

Wait...are we still talking about MM?

• Like 1

I don't see how in the world MM is even on the same level as Streep. Streep came up with Al Pacino and John Cazale and a lot of stage actors who came to film, lol.

And where did I say, that they are on the same level?

I'm just saying, that Streep got a chance to show her greatness in every possible way, without being hollywoods next plastic beauty.

• Like 1

A better comparison might be Jim Carrey in the 90s. McCarthy's still working her way through the ACE VENTURAs of the world.

• Like 4

Here is the deal. Melissa McCarthy has producing power in Hollywood.  As far as I know Ben Falcone didn't even direct a short movie but he got to direct a comedy for Warners as his debut because he is Melissa McCarthy's husband. She can make better movies if she wants to but she doesn't because they won't make as much money. Chris Evans used the goodwill he earned from playing Captain  America to direct a small independent drama . Jon Favreau's passion project was Chef. It is telling that McCarthy's passion project is the same character she plays over and over again. This is like Adam Sandler claiming Grown Up 2 was his passion project.

• Like 2

Here is the deal. Melissa McCarthy has producing power in Hollywood.  As far as I know Ben Falcone didn't even direct a short movie but he got to direct a comedy for Warners as his debut because he is Melissa McCarthy's husband. She can make better movies if she wants to but she doesn't because they won't make as much money. Chris Evans used the goodwill he earned from playing Captain  America to direct a small independent drama . Jon Favreau's passion project was Chef. It is telling that McCarthy's passion project is the same character she plays over and over again. This is like Adam Sandler claiming Grown Up 2 was his passion project.

Putting aside the entire concept that humor is relative, I don't see how you can definitively arrive at that conclusion at all.

• Like 1

And where did I say, that they are on the same level?

I'm just saying, that Streep got a chance to show her greatness in every possible way, without being hollywoods next plastic beauty.

Well Streep is just a bad example to use for comparison. Use someone from this decade at least. How about Jennifer Lawrence and Shailene Woodley? Jessica Chastain even. How do they compare?

Edited by ECSTASY
  • Like 2