Shawn Robbins

The Great Box Office Recession? -- Discussing the Up & Down Trends of the Box Office Market

Will the Disappointing BO Extend to Summer 2013?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Disappointing BO Extend to Summer 2013?

• YES!
    • YES/NO! As some Big Budget Movies Won't be Affected!
    • NO!

Ticket sales in general are going down. For example, Rise of the Planet of the Apes sold 22M tickets, which is pretty good, but it is the same amount that a movie like Anger Management sold in 2003. Or the original Scream in 1996.

And that is imo, a direct correlation between piracy and the exorbitant cost of going to the movies.

And that is imo, a direct correlation between piracy and the exorbitant cost of going to the movies.

I think it's amazing how you find the time/money to go to the movies as often as you do. I mainly don't have the time. I definitely have plenty of cash to blow it on that kind of stuff, but the risk is too high. Why spend $10 on a movie you know is probably going to suck? That line of questioning applies to 95% of the mainstream stuff being put out by Hollywood these days.

I think it's amazing how you find the time/money to go to the movies as often as you do. I mainly don't have the time. I definitely have plenty of cash to blow it on that kind of stuff, but the risk is too high. Why spend $10 on a movie you know is probably going to suck? That line of questioning applies to 95% of the mainstream stuff being put out by Hollywood these days.

Then don't see a film that you know for sure will suck.

And if that applies to 95% of mainstream stuff today, it applied to 95% of mainstream stuff 10 years ago as well.

When I remember how often I went to movie as a teen I'm stunned I could be so undiscerning in my choices. I lived in quite a boring town but still... so much money wasted on mediocrity.

To be totally honest, I am obsessed with the theater, the entire experience of it. So I find time and money to go. My wife let's me go once a week on a Sunday morning to the AMC, because it is $6.00 before noon. So that's about 40 movies a year right there. The rest of the time it has to be maneuvered. For instance, I'll go after work to a film that starts at 445 (I work 8-4:30) and then get home at 7 and I'll say i worked late. Yes, it is sad, but when you are a heroine addict, you'll do anything for that hit. That's me. Replaceheroine with movies. :lol:Also, I will see two movies in one sitting and just pay for one. As for seeing a movie that I'm pretty sure is going to suck, I like to give every film the benefit of the doubt. I try to start with a clean slate. I try to go into a movie without any preconcceived notions. It's not always possible, but that's my plan.

Then don't see a film that you know for sure will suck.And if that applies to 95% of mainstream stuff today, it applied to 95% of mainstream stuff 10 years ago as well.

I don't. I see maybe a handful of movies each year in the theater, at most. I'm very selective in what I'll bother shelling out $10 to watch in a theater. If I'm going to pay that kind of money, it might as well be to own the movie on Blu-ray and that will only happen if I like the movie enough.

As for seeing a movie that I'm pretty sure is going to suck, I like to give every film the benefit of the doubt. I try to start with a clean slate. I try to go into a movie without any preconcceived notions. It's not always possible, but that's my plan.

Nice to see someone else with the same philosophy as myself.As for the points people have raised, it really is time for ticket prices to drop. As it has been said many a time, they get fuck all from the ticket prices. The smartest thing is to take a hit per ticket and make a gain in the volume. If the volume increases due to cheaper tickets then the conscession sales will increase. I doubt they'd see it like that. A drop in price by say $1.50 could work like this:Say you have a middle of the range movie released. The auditorium has 300 seats. Now, on opening night the ticket price is approx $10, and has an occupancy of about 100 people. 1000 dollars there. Now they have the same movie, same screening, same, same capacity, but tickets are $8.50, and they sell 85% of the tickets. That works out as $2167.50 add on at least double the concession sales and they would have a much bigger profit. Shortsightedness could kill my favourite industry, and that would be a crime.
  • Like 1

Nice to see someone else with the same philosophy as myself.As for the points people have raised, it really is time for ticket prices to drop. As it has been said many a time, they get fuck all from the ticket prices. The smartest thing is to take a hit per ticket and make a gain in the volume. If the volume increases due to cheaper tickets then the conscession sales will increase. I doubt they'd see it like that. A drop in price by say $1.50 could work like this:Say you have a middle of the range movie released. The auditorium has 300 seats. Now, on opening night the ticket price is approx $10, and has an occupancy of about 100 people. 1000 dollars there. Now they have the same movie, same screening, same, same capacity, but tickets are $8.50, and they sell 85% of the tickets. That works out as $2167.50 add on at least double the concession sales and they would have a much bigger profit. Shortsightedness could kill my favourite industry, and that would be a crime.

Nicely said. I'd personally like to see tickets here (Toronto) drop to a more reasonable $8.50 every night, eliminating cheap Tuesdays. At Cineplex, they charge $13.00 frikkin dollars on a normal night and that is what too rich for me. So I go to AMC 95/100 where it costs me $10.50 on normal nights.

I know.Mind you it was in V-Max (which I guess is kind of like LieMax) so that added to it, but student prices in regular cinemas are still $15.50.

Have to admit, i'm lucky I still carry a student card, my IMAX ticket on wednesday has already cost me $17 dollars, and this is for a weds at 1pm, an adult ticket would cost me me the equivalent of $24. This and the fact that it's 70 miles away is the reason I only get there three times a year. The only reason at all that I can afford to see the number of movies I do is my unlimited pass. I've saved $1000 in the last two years at a minimum with it.