Shawn Robbins

The Great Box Office Recession? -- Discussing the Up & Down Trends of the Box Office Market

Will the Disappointing BO Extend to Summer 2013?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Disappointing BO Extend to Summer 2013?

• YES!
    • YES/NO! As some Big Budget Movies Won't be Affected!
    • NO!

The reason why people download movies is because they want to see it. Now that there is an easier (ILLEGAL) way to do it, you wont bother to watch it anymore in theaters.I don't see any guilt from these people. TERRIBLE.

nope, many people who download movies aren't interested in paying to see the movie in the first place (which means if there were no downloads, they wouldn't see the film at all) and many people who download are people who have seen the movie and want a copy until the DVD comes out so they can see their favorite scenes again. Sure there are people who download and because of that won't see the movie, but don't act like people in the first two categories don't exist

'Fast Five,' 'Hangover II,' 'Thor' Top List of Year's Most Pirated Movies

But the average number of BitTorrent downloads for this year's top 10 was significantly lower than last year.

Movie pirates felt the need for speed this year as Fast Five tops the list of 2011's most-pirated movies on BitTorrent, according to data released Friday by TorrentFreak.

Fast Five was illegally downloaded 9.3 million times this year. That actually marks a significant drop from last year's most-downloaded movie, Avatar, which was downloaded more than 16 million times.

In fact, the average number of downloads for the entire top 10 list is lower than 2010, which TorrentFreak attributes to the "increase in legal alternatives" as well as "alternative piracy sources" including cyberlockers and streaming sites.

But the number of active BitTorrent users isn't decreasing, which also suggests that the downloads are simply spread out over more titles.

Coming in at No. 2 was The Hangover Part II, with 8.8 million downloads, followed by Thor (8.3 million), Source Code (7.9 million) and I Am Number Four (7.7 million).

The complete top 10 list follows:

1. Fast Five (9.3 million downloads)

2. The Hangover II (8.8 million)

3. Thor (8.3 million)

4. Source Code (7.9 million)

5. I Am Number Four (7.7 million)

6. Sucker Punch (7.2 million)

7. 127 Hours (6.9 million)

8. Rango (6.5 million)

9. The King's Speech (6.3 million)

10. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (6 million)

Some of these films were GREATLY affected.

Fast Five did really well considering how many downloads it had. Poor Sucker Punch was affected terribly.

nope, many people who download movies aren't interested in paying to see the movie in the first place (which means if there were no downloads, they wouldn't see the film at all) and many people who download are people who have seen the movie and want a copy until the DVD comes out so they can see their favorite scenes again. Sure there are people who download and because of that won't see the movie, but don't act like people in the first two categories don't exist

The same thing. A copy? That could have been a repeat viewing. But these downloads no doubt is killing the movie industry. Don't act it doesn't have an effect.I think you have downloaded movies a lot of times.

SP, IAN4 and SC are unexpicable. There was a huge interested in all three, but they all failed because everyone just downloaded a copy of them.The "people want to see their favourite parts" or "want a copy of the movie after seeing it in theaters because they liked it and don't want to spent money on DVDs" are just used for movies like HP7.2, FF, TH2 and Thor.

SP, IAN4 and SC are unexpicable. There was a huge interested in all three, but they all failed because everyone just downloaded a copy of them.The "people want to see their favourite parts" or "want a copy of the movie after seeing it in theaters because they liked it and don't want to spent money on DVDs" are just used for movies like HP7.2, FF, TH2 and Thor.

If the people who downloaded Sucker Punch would have seen it in theaters it would have ended around 95M domestically and I Am Number Four would have ended around 115M.

The trailer and advertising could have looked good and then they download it and see it before it hits theaters

Bottomline: I will download a movie I want to see because it's easy and FREE. I don't care if this affects the movie industry and the people behind these movies because again, it's FREE.

The same thing. A copy? That could have been a repeat viewing. But these downloads no doubt is killing the movie industry. Don't act it doesn't have an effect.I think you have downloaded movies a lot of times.

I have, but I saw those movies twice in theaters, (in IMAX both times) and bought the Blu ray when it came out.

If the people who downloaded Sucker Punch would have seen it in theaters it would have ended around 95M domestically and I Am Number Four would have ended around 115M.

It would have been excellent for both. A sequel for IAN4 would be in production right now. Instead, it is a dead franchise.

Bottomline: I will download a movie I want to see because it's easy and FREE. I don't care if this affects the movie industry and the people behind these movies because again, it's FREE.

People just don't care. My friends, sometimes I talk that with them, and they just don't care. I would love to end this piracy thing. It would be great to everyone. They see my 200+ DVD collection and they are like: "WTF dude? Why do you spent so much money if you can just download them all for free?!". Same thing with going to theaters every week.