Shawn Robbins

The Great Box Office Recession? -- Discussing the Up & Down Trends of the Box Office Market

Will the Disappointing BO Extend to Summer 2013?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Disappointing BO Extend to Summer 2013?

• YES!
    • YES/NO! As some Big Budget Movies Won't be Affected!
    • NO!

To see how bad it is? Come on.

it happens. The fact is, it is not as simple as saying "every single download" represents a lost ticket sale. It is impossible to tell if people who download something would have been planning to see it in theaters in the first place. Edited by Shriekofthevulture

I am from the Philippines. Piracy here is still rampant but have decreased significantly. Our market is growing as what is reflected by the bigger grosses of Hollywood films here.I have seen 18 films this year and will watch more next year.I will never, ever download a movie. I respect the hard work of the people both on screen and off screen.

it happens. The fact is, it is not as simple as saying "every single download" represents a lost ticket sale.

I didn't say that. But no doubt it has an effect. Reviews are everywhere. Trailers are accessible. WOM is easy to know. This "to know how bad it is" thing is a lame excuse.

Piracy is a monster in Portugal and it is killing the theaters. We are 11 million people. In average, only 200,000 go to the theaters every weekend. That is HORRIBLE.I rarely download movies. Only in extreme situations.

Edited by CJohn

I didn't say that. But no doubt it has an effect. Reviews are everywhere. Trailers are accessible. WOM is easy to know. This "to know how bad it is" thing is a lame excuse.

but it could be just some people who are just curious as to what the bad parts are like. Especially when you hear about certain scenes that are bad. Also, you have to remember people who would watch a movie for free but never pay for it, same for people who would only catch a movie when it comes on TV but never rent or buy it

Piracy is a monster in Portugal and it is killing the theaters. We are 11 million people. In average, only 200,000 go to the theaters every weekend. That is HORRIBLE.I rarely download movies. Only in extreme situations.

So, the total admissions in Portugal are only just over 10m? That's a below average attendance rate. It's significantly higher n Australia, at over 4 per person.

but it could be just some people who are just curious as to what the bad parts are like. Especially when you hear about certain scenes that are bad. Also, you have to remember people who would watch a movie for free but never pay for it, same for people who would only catch a movie when it comes on TV but never rent or buy it

But why bother watching "BAD PARTS".

But why bother watching "BAD PARTS".

maybe to see how bad it is, maybe when it comes to Sucker Punch people just wanted to oogle at the girls in the movie. Also, remember that a large amount of copies of a film online are not great quality as well, so if people are willing to settle for that then maybe they were not that interested in the first place.I just think that taking every download and saying it represents a lost ticket sale is a gross overinflation

maybe to see how bad it is, maybe when it comes to Sucker Punch people just wanted to oogle at the girls in the movie. Also, remember that a large amount of copies of a film online are not great quality as well, so if people are willing to settle for that then maybe they were not that interested in the first place.

I just think that taking every download and saying it represents a lost ticket sale is a gross overinflation

No one said that.
  • Like 1

^What can't be argued is there is a significant number of downloaders which would translate into ticket sales. To download a film after all does show interest, plus the fact that downloading it once means it can be shared by many also makes it under and not overestimated as an effect. What about streaming too.

• Like 1