CaptainJackSparrow

Boss Baby | March 31, 2017 | Dreamworks Animation

Possibly based on this book? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1442487798?pc_redir=1404502145&robot_redir=1I find it interesting that we already know more about films that are coming out AFTER it. Anna Kendrick was cast for Trolls, and all the leads for Captain Underpants were announced in January (Kevin Hart and Thomas Middleditch as the two kid protagonists, Nick Kroll as the villain and Ed Helms in the title role), but we know NOTHING about Boss Baby other than the director and release date.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

Is that your opinion, or do you have some insider info ? You worded it as if you know something we don't.It was only announced a couple months ago, that would be the fastest time between announcement and cancellation I'd have ever seen.The "Newt/Me and My Shadow rule" (which I just made up) of long-gestating promising projects getting unjustly cancelled dictates that the "Monkeys of Mumbai/Mumbai Musical/Bollywood Superstar Monkey" film is in the most danger of getting canned, since it was announced in 2011 and has been delayed twice in the past 6 months. I hope it doesn't come to that.I, too, would scrap Boss Baby right now.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

HTTYD3 could theoretically be rushed to March 2016, but I'd rather see Trolls get fast-tracked and HTTYD3 put into the pre-Thanksgiving slot.I honestly have no idea how DW is going to get out of this schedule fix without something getting cancelled or pushed to 2019.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Is that your opinion, or do you have some insider info ? You worded it as if you know something we don't.It was only announced a couple months ago, that would be the fastest time between announcement and cancellation I'd have ever seen.The "Newt/Me and My Shadow rule" (which I just made up) of long-gestating promising projects getting unjustly cancelled dictates that the "Monkeys of Mumbai/Mumbai Musical/Bollywood Superstar Monkey" film is in the most danger of getting canned, since it was announced in 2011 and has been delayed twice in the past 6 months. I hope it doesn't come to that.I, too, would scrap Boss Baby right now.

Opinion.

DWA's in a testy place. They've got three straight disappointments. They've just laid off workers, and something has to give.

Of the stuff in their pipeline, I'd expect that any sequels and spinoffs will happen (even as disappointments, KFP and HTTYD do make money, so that's guaranteed payoff, even if it isn't huge.) Home, as well, is going to come out. And I expect nothing to stop Captain Underpants, since it's based on a quite well known property.

That leaves BOO, Boss Baby, Trolls, Mumbai Musical, and Larrikins.

BOO is next year, so, again, it's probably guaranteed to happen.

Trolls is also a known property. I could see it getting cut because it's not a super popular one nowadays, though, but it's probably not first in line.

Mumbai Musical seems like it would be cut, given the long production cycle, but they may stick with it because of the time invested already. Kevin Lima's got several successes under his belt, so they could be banking on another.

Okay, I stand corrected. Larrikins is probably the most likely.

• Like 2

Ok, so this is going to release between Zootopia and Illumination's Clifford...

Maybe this should release on May 20th? Would still give it a month before Finding Dory...

DWA currently has no summer film for 2016 but I wouldn't be surprised if they move up Trolls to summer and have Captain Underpants in November or December. Boss Baby will likely stay put for now.

DWA's three films a year is taking its toll, there are lucky HTTYD2 was successful and Penguins of Madagascar will do well as 2015 is going to be ugly for them if Home, Boo and KFP3 underpeform.

Either Katzenberg needs to step down or slow down his work, because three animated films for any studio a year is asking for trouble. 

• Like 1

Either Katzenberg needs to step down or slow down his work, because three animated films for any studio a year is asking for trouble. 

Given it's his company, he's unlikely to step down unless he's forced to, I think when DWA is eventually sold, that'll be when he steps down and TBH DWA needs new leadership. Cutting down the number of animated films they release to maximum two a year would resolve some of their woes. 

• Like 2

Given it's his company, he's unlikely to step down unless he's forced to, I think when DWA is eventually sold, that'll be when he steps down and TBH DWA needs new leadership. Cutting down the number of animated films they release to maximum two a year would resolve some of their woes. 

This especially. 

It seems like suicide to make that many animated movies a year. The fact that they announced so many sequels at once is very worrisome. 

This especially. 

It seems like suicide to make that many animated movies a year. The fact that they announced so many sequels at once is very worrisome. 

Plus competion in the field gets crazier every year with two pixars a year, the minions, Blue Sky, the studio that did LEgo movie, this market is beyond the point of saturation.

• Like 1

Plus competion in the field gets crazier every year with two pixars a year, the minions, Blue Sky, the studio that did LEgo movie, this market is beyond the point of saturation.

Oh boy!

The amount of animated movies that are going to be released in the next few years is crazy. Dreamworks is gonna get swallowed up. 

• Like 1

Illumination is going to have two films a year from 2016, possibly three although might be live action, Warner Animation has two from 2017 onwards and Paramount has two in 2015 although one is a hybrid, this in addition to Sony with 1-2 films a year, Fox with 1 from Blue Sky, the three from DWA, 1 or 2 from WDAS and 1 or 2 from Pixar and that's not including smaller films from other companies. Something going have to give and I think we may see studios closing or cutting their output.