CJohn

The Purge: Election Year | July 1, 2016

I'm not surprised whatsoever.

The first film had its problems, but it was marketed really well.

The second is pretty damn awesome.

And it's a fun concept. And they're fucking cheap to make.

No surprise whatsoever.

If they keep the budgets as low as the first two, they will have a nice little cash cow for a while. And I agree that the concept is fun. After re-watching both films this past weekend, I really want to see more stories from other characters in this universe. I want to see how a homeless person survives a Purge night. I wanna see how other “undesirables” are treated on this particular night. Would prostitutes, transexuals, gays and lesbians be particularly targeted by those crazed Purgers out and about? How about religion? Are Christians ok with the Purge, especially since it does sound sometimes like a cultish religion itself? I wish there was an expanded universe of books about the Purge series... Edited by cochofles
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, CJohn said:

What? Sounds like a good idea tbh :lol: 

Not that I care much, The Purge was never released in theaters in Portugal.

People are overloaded with election coverage anyway, I don't think a horror movie trying to coopt that is helping itself

this franchise is really weird, after the bad first movie, anyone would expect the second movie to decrease hard, but it not only increase, but also received a lot of respect for the series, and now, TP3 is ready to explode, could this be the first horror franchise where each movie increased from the previous one?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

this franchise is really weird, after the bad first movie, anyone would expect the second movie to decrease hard, but it not only increase, but also received a lot of respect for the series, and now, TP3 is ready to explode, could this be the first horror franchise where each movie increased from the previous one?

I think that the premise, in spite of its inherent logical problems, is intriguing and thought-provoking. It doesn't make people think in a quantum-physics kind of way, obviously, because these films are not brilliantly smart or anything even close to that, but at least they are pop entertainment that tries a little more.

I liked both films and I hope that the third one also sees the Purge from another angle.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I think that the premise, in spite of its inherent logical problems, is intriguing and thought-provoking. It doesn't make people think in a quantum-physics kind of way, obviously, because these films are not brilliantly smart or anything even close to that, but at least they are pop entertainment that tries a little more.

I liked both films and I hope that the third one also sees the Purge from another angle.

the first movie showed The Purge from the angle of a family in their house.... the second movie brought an angle from the streets...... the third one will bring a vision from the white house? :lol: 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

the first movie showed The Purge from the angle of a family in their house.... the second movie brought an angle from the streets...... the third one will bring a vision from the white house? :lol: 

LOL

I have to admit that it makes me nervous.

The series' premise is inevitably underlined by political ideologies, but I don't want the film to be bogged down by actual, in-your-face politicking. I just want thrills, horror elements, and action with a sprinkling of light political ideas, nothing more.

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

LOL

I have to admit that it makes me nervous.

The series' premise is inevitably underlined by political ideologies, but I don't want the film to be bogged down by actual, in-your-face politicking. I just want thrills, horror elements, and action with a sprinkling of light political ideas, nothing more.

Oh, don't worry, it still a mainstream horror franchise, I doubt it will have any deep political message 

• Like 1