Ash Skywalker

Disney's Dumbo | March 29, 2019 | Tim Burton | Reviews coming in

9 minutes ago, Goffe said:

I've seen some critics logging this film on Letterboxd (obviously without rating or a review). Is the embargo dropping soon?

The premiere is this Monday, so I assume we'll get reviews around the same week.

https://deadline.com/2019/03/captain-marvel-opening-weekend-box-office-breaks-records-1202571905/

We can finally say from a box office perspective, 2019 has officially begun. Disney has Dumbo opening at the end of the month and some box office analysts (not tracking) believe that Disney live-action pic has the potential to open to $75M. 

• Like 4
  • Astonished 2

8 minutes ago, Avatree said:

sorry I can't see a 75M opening.

and it's not like there is no family films out either, we've just had Lego and Dragon, there is Wonder Park, and Pet Sematary week after dumbo too.

i mean, official tracking already suggests $ 60M... it's not that far. Not saying it will happen, i'm thinking $ 65M, but is possible.

also, from all your examples, only Dragon was a success, but still will finish below $ 200M... there's plenty space for Dumbo 

Premiere for Dumbo is tomorrow in LA, social media embargo right after... Disney seems confident 

• Like 4

I can see $80M for Dumbo to be honest. Dumbo doesn’t have to worry about sharing marketing with other Disney films back to back (unlike the Endgame-Aladdin-Toy Story 4-Lion King combo) and the family market is somewhat barren despite options. Dragon 3 is the only real family event and that was older skewing, Lego is crawling to $100M, Wonder Park will be lucky to do $50M, and both Missing Link and Uglydolls will die bad deaths. The only threat to Dumbo is how much family skewing Shazam will be.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Would you assume that a movie called Pet Cannibalism was for kids too?

I've never heard of the word Sematary I thought it was made up for the film?

Or is it just a misspelling of Cemetery?

Edited by Avatree
  • Knock It Off 1

Just now, Avatree said:

I've never heard of the word Sematary I thought it was made up for the film?

Or is it just a misspelling of Cemetery?

In fact, "Sematary" is a child's spelling. The book is about a haunted graveyard where the dead, when buried there, come back to life, but not quite as they were. ... This plot is marked off by a sign made by one of the children, who misspelled the word "cemetery."

• Like 1