Ash Skywalker

Disney's Dumbo | March 29, 2019 | Tim Burton | Reviews coming in

5 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Don't mind me I'm just shattered. I wanted this to do so well. I'm seeing it regardless with my daughter but going with expectations that the entire cast besides Dumbo and Devito suck. Hopefully I will be surprised.

Exactly - don't let the current reception muddle your enthusiasm. You may end up thinking it's mediocre, but don't put too much stock into reviews/reactions - unless they are overwhelming in one direction or the other, really. And even then, you could find a guilty pleasure or a well-rated movie that just didn't connect with you. 

2 minutes ago, Slambros said:

Disappointing reviews. It might not affect Dumbo's box office too much, but Warner Bros sure did lift their embargo for Shazam! at the right time, because between the reviews for Shazam! and the reviews for this, the narrative is in place that Shazam! very much seems like the better option for families. The general audience is coming closer and closer to losing its interest in 'traditional' stories such as Dumbo with each passing year, anyway.

I wouldn't say that...but I think they are losing their interest in corporations going back to the same well of properties and making WORSE movies from them.  When original animated Dumbo is sitting on your DVD shelf, why pay $10+/ticket (or $50 or more for a family of 4) to see a worse version of it?  

For the record, I'm in for practically any new animated property that has a hook or angle that looks new (and that looks like it doesn't completely suck)...Smallfoot was a revelation last year, and Wonder Park was a reasonably good and very original time...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I wouldn't say that...but I think they are losing their interest in corporations going back to the same well of properties and making WORSE movies from them.  When original animated Dumbo is sitting on your DVD shelf, why pay $10+/ticket (or $50 or more for a family of 4) to see a worse version of it?  

For the record, I'm in for practically any new animated property that has a hook or angle that looks new (and that looks like it doesn't completely suck)...Smallfoot was a revelation last year, and Wonder Park was a reasonably good and very original time...

wake me up when Aladdin underperforms. It wasn't true with Beauty and The Beast. i still think Dumbo will do fairly well still. Critics are not the ones Dumbo should be worrying about. it is the people on twitter or facebook that will determine its fate.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21

2 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

wake me up when Aladdin underperforms. It wasn't true with Beauty and The Beast.

But it was for Mary Poppins (even if technically a sequel), and now we might have a trend if Dumbo also goes low...B&TB could be the BvS of the Disney live action remakes...it went way high (like BvS), but pretty much universally was considered a worse movie...it could be having a lasting audience effect...

I'll not go further so we stay out of franchise wars...but I can't find another example so on point...

Edited by TwoMisfits

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

But it was for Mary Poppins (even if technically a sequel), and now we might have a trend if Dumbo also goes low...B&TB could be the BvS of the Disney live action remakes...it went way high (like BvS), but pretty much universally was considered a worse movie...it could be having a lasting audience effect...

I'll not go further so we stay out of franchise wars...but I can't find another example so on point...

We'll have to wait. This would apply to Lion King too, no? Cinderella, Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast all did very, very well.

I’m not trying to defend or champion the movie or anything, but some critic reviews seem really hypocritical: basing these live action remake for “just feeding us the ex act same story almost shot for shot” yet here are complaining that they made too many changes to a story that didn’t need changing.

Really? Was Dumbo really the movie you were going to say “Disney kept everything exactly the same... just as they should”?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Exactly - don't let the current reception muddle your enthusiasm. You may end up thinking it's mediocre, but don't put too much stock into reviews/reactions - unless they are overwhelming in one direction or the other, really. And even then, you could find a guilty pleasure or a well-rated movie that just didn't connect with you. 

My kid will love it, all that matters. I mean I went to My Little Pony the movie. Man she loved it haha.

7 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

We'll have to wait. This would apply to Lion King too, no? Cinderella, Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast all did very, very well.

Yes...although Lion King starts from a much higher "number", just b/c the property itself is way more beloved...but I've also never jumped on the enormous number bandwagon for that (those having it over Incredibles 2 DOM, for example)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

Shazam and Dumbo are both going for the family audience, so it will be interesting to see if the reviews will do anything to drive that audience away from Dumbo into Shazam. Or if Shazam's darker tone make the families more likely to still go to Dumbo instead. 

9 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

.it went way high (like BvS), but pretty much universally was considered a worse movie...it could be having a lasting audience effect...

I imagine worst than a classic but still very much beloved ? A cinemascore near 3.0 multiplier on a giant OW, movie of the year voted by the public like on MTV, Teen Choice, one of the most solds/rented movie of 2017 on physical medium, etc...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I’m not trying to defend or champion the movie or anything, but some critic reviews seem really hypocritical: basing these live action remake for “just feeding us the ex act same story almost shot for shot” yet here are complaining that they made too many changes to a story that didn’t need changing.

Really? Was Dumbo really the movie you were going to say “Disney kept everything exactly the same... just as they should”?

Do you have a specific critic in mind ?

Sounds like the standard Tim Burton film reaction to me. 

To this Disney fan, I don’t see the point in them making a live action version of exactly the same thing. I want it to have differences and be it’s own thing. I will judge it on its own merits. Otherwise what’s the point in it even existing if it’s the same? (Aka Beauty and the Beast)

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Disney is trying to sabotage Tim Burton. Screw them. I hope one day justice in the world is served and they crash and burn.

nah he is doing a good enough job doing that all by himself.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21