Ash Skywalker

Disney's Dumbo | March 29, 2019 | Tim Burton | Reviews coming in

3 minutes ago, Litio said:

Why is Disney hiding the budget? Dumbo seems to be more expensive than The Mummy 2017. The budget report should be closer to $ 195m if Disney is not lying.

It is not like Disney or any studio does not hide the budget of pretty much all the movies they do internally if they can.

This one will become public because it is an UK production and using their tax credit making it a bit hard / impossible to hide.

You can follow what I think is Disney shell company using for Dumbo budget here:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09227447/filing-history

It is under public domain access.

7 minutes ago, Barnack said:

It is not like Disney or any studio does not hide the budget of pretty much all the movies they do internally if they can.

Disney didn't report the budget yet. That's I mean.

Edited by Litio

Unpopular opinion but maybe Disney should focus more on releasing original content than doing these obvious money grab remakes. 

Ya know the kind of content that made Disney what it is today ie the animations that they’re remaking because they were classics. The kind of content like Toy Story, Wreck it Ralph, Frozen and Moana. All made huge bucks and yet were great because they were somewhat original stories (I know Frozen is based off of The Snow Queen). Disney obviously has the talent to create these fresh and new stories. And if there’s any studio who can get audiences into theaters based on name it’s Disney. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, reddevil19 said:

Personally, I'm looking forward to the Favreau-directed Zootopia live action remake. 

I can’t believe I forgot to include Zootopia on my list. Probably cause I forget it’s a Disney release but my point stands that their original content is where they shine. 

Not these remakes :lol:

I like Burton, even his failures are more stimulating than the products that are dominating the blockbuster scene right now (except of Big Eyes and Miss Peregrine, those are lame as hell)... But it does feel like Burton checked out from storytelling and stayed just for the stunning & weird imagery that he likes to come up with. Feels that way since the Apes movie, but this decade it got progressively worse. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

I can’t believe I forgot to include Zootopia on my list. Probably cause I forget it’s a Disney release but my point stands that their original content is where they shine. 

Not these remakes :lol:

I do not know the quality of their artist and craftsmanship is so high that they really excel in executing completely controlled and proven solid narrative/Hero journey movie, something like the Cinderella remake for a really good example of that imo. Lot of those animated classic were adapted classic stories themselves, the quality in the execution of their adaptation was the key.

While more original storyline/structure a la Tomorrowland is not necessarily where they shine, in animation they can use their much bigger resource and ability to make massive change 3 year's in development and almost restart the movie like for Zootopia and be better than the others, in live action that advantage do not shine as much.

They absolutely need to balance it and launch new adaptation (if not original stuff) a la Pirate of the Caribbean from time to time to not run out of establish franchise to buy, but they should absolutely continue to moneytise their ability to deliver franchise / remake entry, for example they should go on and continue that Mulan project and not stop those Marvel movies.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Nova said:

Unpopular opinion but maybe Disney should focus more on releasing original content than doing these obvious money grab remakes. 

Ya know the kind of content that made Disney what it is today ie the animations that they’re remaking because they were classics. The kind of content like Toy Story, Wreck it Ralph, Frozen and Moana. All made huge bucks and yet were great because they were somewhat original stories (I know Frozen is based off of The Snow Queen). Disney obviously has the talent to create these fresh and new stories. And if there’s any studio who can get audiences into theaters based on name it’s Disney. 

To be fair, Disney has never given us much in the way of original live action classics (not talking about their subsidiary studios), and up until just now WDAS has delivered nothing but original movies. I just hope this sequel thing stops after Frozen 2 with them. God forbid they become Pixar, because sequelitis was when they fell from the top. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Litio said:

Many studios report. Exactly because it is not reporting that Dumbo must have a bigger budget than expected

I almost never seen a movie budget on any studio publication/documentation/annual report, they tend to stay secretive about those when they can. There is a reason we tend to read it "people aware / close the production / phone ringing people telling us/etc..." type.

Take Wonder Woman, Suicide Squad, Batman V Superman, Justice league or Aquaman, WB never came up with those budget and still unknown / rumors / really rounded gross maybe estimate on wikipedia. 

We have a good Idea for Beauty and The Beast about 240-250m because it was an UK production, we know Louisiana production budget, but Canada/Georgia/Eastern Europe they often stay under wrap.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

To be fair, Disney has never given us much in the way of original live action classics (not talking about their subsidiary studios), and up until just now WDAS has delivered nothing but original movies. I just hope this sequel thing stops after Frozen 2 with them. God forbid they become Pixar, because sequelitis was when they fell from the top. 

Frozen 2 will be the last frozen animation cause they’ll be working on a live action remake for it :ph34r:

52 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is great. Bog Fish is good. Corpse Bride is okay but still better than Frankenweenie. 

I like it too. It has so many highs that would rank among Burton's best works.

10 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I do not know the quality of their artist and craftsmanship is so high that they really excel in executing completely controlled and proven solid narrative/Hero journey movie, something like the Cinderella remake for a really good example of that imo. Lot of those animated classic were adapted classic stories themselves, the quality in the execution of their adaptation was the key.

While more original storyline/structure a la Tomorrowland is not necessarily where they shine, in animation they can use their much bigger resource and ability to make massive change 3 year's in development and almost restart the movie like for Zootopia and be better than the others, in live action that advantage do not shine as much.

They absolutely need to balance it and launch new adaptation (if not original stuff) a la Pirate of the Caribbean from time to time to not run out of establish franchise to buy, but they should absolutely continue to moneytise their ability to deliver franchise / remake entry, for example they should go on and continue that Mulan project and not stop those Marvel movies.

I don’t think them making live action remakes is wrong. I think them releasing so many live action remakes so close together is wrong. Especially when thus far their live action remakes have been mediocre (except for Jungle Book imo) whereas the original content that they’ve released is so much better quality wise.