Ash Skywalker

Disney's Dumbo | March 29, 2019 | Tim Burton | Reviews coming in

9 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

I am curious to see what apperently warrents a bigger budget than Captain Marvel.

I imagine it is more an affair, Dumbo is an UK production and we know the budget.

Captain Marvel was in California were the qualified expenditure tax credit apply only on the first 100m spent and we do not know the budget. I would imagine a lot of the movie is high end CGIs, having a main protagonist elephant.

Beauty and the beasts was significantly more expensive. They are nice high budget, the they are on massive franchise also and not a risk.

Edited by Barnack

I hope the movie makes enough to keep the box office in general alive (and to give Burton another chance at Big Budget fare... or not... cause I want to see him do another movie like big fish) but not enough that Disney makes tons of profit from their 170M investment. Cause fuck Disney.

Not because they "ruined Star Wars" or "turned Marvel into SJW propaganda" I legit hate when people say shit like that because it dilutes whenever people legitimately complain about Disney. But they bully movie theatres plain and simple. They have too much power, and they're able to abuse it to gain special treatment in the industry. I'm cheering on every individual who worked on this movie, just not the studio that produced it. 

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

This was fine. Simple. Too simple probably. Looks and feels more magical than anything Burton's done in a long while. Not sure what in the hell Keaton was doing but the movie really takes off once he enters the picture.

Sets, costumes were fucking incredible. Dumbo himself was great. DeVito great too.

This will do well enough with families. Families in attendance seemed to react pretty well to it. Good enough message and cherry on top the sundae ending leaves you smiling.

Wish it lived in the big, glowing, wacky set piece that makes up the last two thirds even more. Really his best looking anything from that point in seemingly forever.

B-

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

When was the last time Tim burton done anything good again? Dude has done the same gothic style over and over again. 

Iron Man and Chef alone shits on whatever Tim has done for the last 15 years.

Burton still has one of the most insane runs of any blockbuster director ever.  His track record from Pee-Wee to Sleepy Hollow is pretty damn great.  I’m willing to grant a director a lot of lifetime passes if they made a movie as phenomenal as Ed Wood, or a blockbuster as unique and rewatchable as Batman Returns.

I can almost guarantee you that Disney didn’t hire Favreau for his creative input and genius.  They hired him because they’ll he’ll do what Disney wants and finish the movie on time, make it as crowdpleasing as possible, and have it make as much money as possible.  That’s their final goal with that movie.  Dumbo might end up not being good (haven’t seen it), but you can’t say they didn’t at least attempt something different here for once.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Burton still has one of the most insane runs of any blockbuster director ever.  His track record from Pee-Wee to Sleepy Hollow is pretty damn great.  I’m willing to grant a director a lot of lifetime passes if they made a movie as phenomenal as Ed Wood, or a blockbuster as unique and rewatchable as Batman Returns.

I can almost guarantee you that Disney didn’t hire Favreau for his creative input and genius.  They hired him because they’ll he’ll do what Disney wants and finish the movie on time, make it as crowdpleasing as possible, and have it make as much money as possible.  That’s their final goal with that movie.  Dumbo might end up not being good (haven’t seen it), but you can’t say they didn’t at least attempt something different here for once.

If you like Burton, once this thing shakes off that hay and Keaton struts in, it's a full Burton orgy of great looking sets and swooping cameras. I'd say Burton loons will like this more than anything he's done since Charlie or Big Fish just for the scope, look and cast having a blast. Wish John August was still his guy. His screenplays were simple but very functional. Hit the notes and had enough weird that it worked. Maybe not weird enough for me though... August's writing that is...

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

favreau's a decent enough choice. the jungle book is the only good one of these things. he's not some unique stylist but i'd take him over burton these days for sure.

Yeah. Can't disagree. Better story teller. I'd argue this is the best looking Disney live action reimagining of anything though. Could've been weirder. Keaton's gonna get a fun reaction here. Not sure Burton directed him or he stumbled out of the nearest pub on to set.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Yeah. Can't disagree. Better story teller. 

directors like him who can just come to work and get the job done with no fuss and a good movie are undervalued in the film nerd discussion space but hey studios love 'em.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

directors like him who can just come to work and get the job done with no fuss and a good movie are undervalued in the film nerd discussion space but hey studios love 'em.

Yeah. This. He's got some dexterity. Has done all kinds of movies. And, usually, almost always, they're successful no matter whether they're indies or blockbusters.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

Ed Wood is a masterpiece, and Favreu's done done anything close to as good as that, but he's also not done anything close to as bad as Alice in Wonderland or Dark Shadows. Feel like Lion King will be closer to Beauty & The Beast than Jungle Book though, since it seems to be closer to a shot for shot remake based off of everything we've seen heard. Gambino should be that films Elton John

16 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

Tim Burton can be a great director at times but it seems like he needs to leave Disney live-action adaptations alone because right now he's 0-2. 

Problem is with his Charlie and Alice... Pretty big financial successes. We'll see about Dumbo. If he has success, he usually gets a pet project.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DAJK said:

I hope the movie makes enough to keep the box office in general alive (and to give Burton another chance at Big Budget fare... or not... cause I want to see him do another movie like big fish) but not enough that Disney makes tons of profit from their 170M investment. Cause fuck Disney.

Not because they "ruined Star Wars" or "turned Marvel into SJW propaganda" I legit hate when people say shit like that because it dilutes whenever people legitimately complain about Disney. But they bully movie theatres plain and simple. They have too much power, and they're able to abuse it to gain special treatment in the industry. I'm cheering on every individual who worked on this movie, just not the studio that produced it. 

It doesn't seem like the big theaters hate Disney though. I've read some articles where the head of AMC Theaters always praise Disney because according to him, Disney is the biggest supporter of the current 90-day theatrical window (which many other major studios like WB and Uni like to shorten). I agree with him. Time and time again, whenever asked about the topic, Disney's Iger is always very vocal on his support for the current window. Disney doesn't want to shorten it unlike other major studios.

And here is one excerpt from John Fithian, the head of the National Association of Theater Owners (NATO):

Will NATO oppose the Disney-Fox merger?

No, because it's not the right role for a trade association. But there are a couple of factors to consider: Disney is the strongest protector of the theat­rical window. They make movies for the big screen and almost all their movies have a very good period of exclusivity in cinemas. And they are setting up their own streaming service and will be competing with Netflix. So, on a global scale, Disney getting bigger means broader support for the cinema experience in many ways.

Edited by UserHN
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, HenryK81 said:

Already bought tickets to watch this tomorrow evening. Not sure why so many people are bashing on this movie. Feels kinda like Alita Battle Angel, where people already didn't want to like the movie. But, we shall see...

Really? Because it feels to me like a film that people have been shoving up my ass as the next big thing for 6 months now. Maybe, I'm wrong but it all feels like manufactured hype like Christopher Robin and A Wrinkle in Time received. 

• Like 1