Ash Skywalker

Disney's Dumbo | March 29, 2019 | Tim Burton | Reviews coming in

15 minutes ago, Super Robertman2 Odyssey said:

I wish Michelle Pfeiffer (spelling?) was in this so we could have a Batman Returns reunion

It's so close to usurping Edward Scissorhands as my favourite Burton. I love it with all my heart.

• Like 1

Just now, franfar said:

Tim Burton wouldn't pass up on the opportunity to film that. It fits his style so well.

35 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

If Pink Elephants doesn't return I'll riot.

That scene will be dope in 3D.

Keaton

"It's basically telling the same story with Tim's touch on it, and not necessarily a touch like we've seen him do before - which, so far, is so physically beautiful, you can't believe it."

https://www.metro.news/former-birdman-oscar-nominee-michael-keaton-is-back-with-american-assassin-playing-a-soldier-who-trains-a-vigilante-rookie/741642/

• Like 1

Keaton, Farrell, Frey and now Heinrichs have all said that people are going to be really surprised to learn that Burton directed this when they see it...

A quite main character is shunned by society and learns to accept his differences...and it's set in a circus. It couldn't get more Burton. I wonder what they mean.

• Like 3

You just wrapped filming on Tim Burton’s Dumbo

The original story of Dumbo is a variation on the classic Hans Christian Anderson tale of The Ugly Duckling, the freaky social misfit whose unique talent and true nature redeems his status. Our version builds upon that story to encompass the light and dark ways that society embraces and exploits his uniqueness. Its period cries out for a certain expressionistic treatment and shadows and lights. A lot of the nuance comes out of the visual and the environment, particularly with Tim. If he could do a silent movie, I think he would.

Expressionism seems to find its way into almost everything you do together.

Tim and I are different. And by the way, I didn’t really know him that well at CalArts, but I did get to know him when we made it to Disney. So a lot of the movies that I’ve worked on with Tim are obviously driven by his own passion. His are science fiction and Jerry Lewis and movies from the fifties, essentially, and the sixties, and some television as well. Mine was more about graphic novels and comics and cartoons and that sort of thing.

How instrumental is the script in determining the look of the movie?

You want the environment to be a part of the storytelling. In Dumbo’s case, [cinematographer] Ben Davis, you’re talking about color, shadow, texture, all the things that will let you know this is a character who’s had a hard life, a challenging life. It’s threadbare, it’s a little dingy, it’s a little washed out. But there’s a certain glow to it. There’s a humanity to it.

• Like 1