Ariadne

How many movies have you seen each year?

I was checking out the list of movies that I've seen so far this year and was shocked to realise I've only seen six movies that came out this calendar year. So I decided to tally up how many/which movies I see each year.

In Theatres:

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

Breaking Dawn Part 1

Thor

Other:

Bridesmaids

X-Men: First Class

Hanna

Plan on seeing:

The Hangover Part II

Immortals (In Theatres)

MI4 (In Theatres)

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2011)

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (In Theatres)

The Adjustment Bureau

Contagion

The Artist (In Theatres)

That's shocking really, and I think shows one of the reasons why the box office has been down this year. Personally, there just hasn't been that many movies released that interested me. I'm going to post what movies I saw in 2010 in my next post to compare. Have you seen fewer movies this year than you normally would?

In cinemas:

Fast Five

Thor

Deathly Hallows Part 2

On Blu-ray:

TF3

POTC 4

X-Men FC

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Captain America

Will see MI4 and SH2 in cinemas. Maybe Tintin and Dragon Tattoo aswell.

Edited by Magic

In Theatres:

Eclipse

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I

Inception

Clash of the Titans

Valentine's Day

Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief

The A-Team

Get Him To The Greek

Easy A

Kick-Ass

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Other:

Toy Story 3

Iron Man 2

How To Train Your Dragon

True Grit

Salt

Robin Hood

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Date Night

The Book of Eli

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Red

Knight and Day

The Bounty Hunter

Hot Tub Time Machine

Daybreakers

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

The Girl Who Played With Fire

Plan on seeing:

The King's Speech

Black Swan

The Social Network

That's a huge difference.

In Theatres:

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

New Moon

Star Trek

Sherlock Holmes

District 9

Other:

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

The Hangover

The Proposal

Fast and Furious

Taken

Inglorious Basterds

Couples Retreat

Paranormal Activity

He's Just Not That Into You

The Ugly Truth

Up in the Air

Zombieland

17 Again

My Sister's Keeper

Year One

Push

The Hurt Locker

Adventureland

An Education

The Young Victoria

A Single Man

The September Issue

Yep. 2011 definitely stands out as a year with very few movies that interest me. There are a lot of movies I'm excited about next year though, I definitely think the box office will pick up significantly.

Cinemas:

Deathly Hallows Part 1

Inception

Iron Man 2

Tron Legacy

Dvd/Blu-ray

Alice in Wonderland

King's Speech

Social Network

Toy Story 3

How to Train Your Dragon

Eclipse

I'm just pretty picky generally.

Looks like your the same as me, but to a lesser degree, fewer movies this year we want to see.

In order of release:RangoBattle: Los AngelesMars Needs MomsThorThe Hangover Part IIKung Fu Panda 2X-Men First ClassGreen LanternTransformers 3Captain AmericaRise of the Planet of the ApesCowboys & AliensThe Lion King ( :D )And no, I didn't see all of these at the theater, only a few.

2010- Inception 3X

How to train your dragon

knight and day 3x

tron legacy

true grit

despicable me

the other guys

alice in wonderland

sherlock holmes

Red

the A-team

the karate kid

2011- Dh2

thor 2x

pirates 4

Captain america

cowboys and aliens

x-men first class

green lantern 2x

narnia dawn treader

transformers 3

kung fu panda 2

rise of the planet of apes

contagion

moneyball

battle los angeles

sherlock holmes 2

apollo 18

adjustment bureau

unstoppable

super 8

All in theaters and these are only the ones I remember.

That's shocking really, and I think shows one of the reasons why the box office has been down this year. Personally, there just hasn't been that many movies released that interested me. I'm going to post what movies I saw in 2010 in my next post to compare. Have you seen fewer movies this year than you normally would?

There's an entire sub-forum called "My Favourite Things" or something for this. There aren't any discussion or comparison threads though so I guess this could function as one.

However the main reason I want to comment is the bold part. Like many, many points I make, I don't intend to target the poster I am quoting. It's just, personally, after a certain while I get sick of hearing the same old naivety or point or defense or whatever again and again and again.

So, no, just because you, personally, weren't interested in many movies does not mean it applies to everyone and definitely does not mean anything in relation to why the box office was down. For the millionth time I'll say that quality plays an almost insignificant factor since the number of good movie to bad movies in terms of reviews seems to be nearly constant year upon year. It changes personally because the movies that are getting those reviews differ and of course tastes differ. Many last year in 2010 were crowing about how the year would suck because it didn't have all the obvious must-sees and blockbusters. But by the end, or by this year, or even by having seen trailers or movies, they change their tune and go harp on another year.

The irony is that people almost entirely makeup their list of sequels or franchise movies claiming that nothing else is worth seeing. I find this a joke because the only reason there's a sequel is because a movie you couldn't care about preceded it. 2011 was seen to be the saviour of 2010's doldrums and a great year because it had so many franchise movies people were crooning about beforehand. Short-sighted, much? There was also a sentiment of why 2010 was sucky and why 2012 would be because of course in both those years there were less franchise movies. The eyeroll worthiness of these statements goes off the meter. In fact that could be singlehandedly the most annoying type of comment on movie boards besides being a hypocrite, which may really go hand in hand.

Now of course, by the end of the year, and knowing all the previously unquantifiable, people naturally start again with 2012 looks great 2013 does not simply because of the presence of franchises once more. I personally thought 2010 looked on paper more interesting and varied than 2011 and whilst the movies I thought could be mostly disappointed, the ones in 2011 didn't exactly live up either, yes, even when critics say Captain America was great because it was a pathetic excuse for a movie. Now 2012, also looked better but now after enduring another year of succumbing to my feelings over rational thought and watching the sorry states of Cowboys & Aliens and Cars 2, I'm being a lot more selective and so, no, it doesn't look like the box office will improve much just because there's the Hobbit, Dark Knight Rises or the Avengers. Or there's the final Twilight movie, the Hunger Games or James Bond. Just looking at the performance and the genre and quality of the movies that underperformed this year we can already make comparisons to next year and when you do so, you really wonder why at all people would turn up next year for product that no one asked for already or do nothing to stand out from this year's releases. If it's the same, and it mostly is, with the economy still in the shitter (the real reason why attendance is down) then why should anything change?

As I've previously said in the Recession 2.0 thread, dissecting the Jan/Feb movies and many others makes one wonder why they would succeed if sequels this year in general underperformed massively and when niche and just plain "Why do I need to see this?" flicks did as well. People aren't going to come out for sequels to movies whose original's reception was worse than those this year and they certainly won't just spike attendance up just because it's a new year. I'd like to say that if the movies are good people will come, but is that true? Just look at this past December. Look at the terrible flicks that do well. I guess you could say though that the box office will do well if the number of must-see movies for each demographic is at its highest and they coincide in the given time period. Nota bene; I'm trying to apply logic to box office which can be very futile at times, for all I know everything could be a hit.

^Wow, that's a long post and I don't know if this thread is the place to dissect the current box office downturn.Obviously, the economy plays a big part - but I believe quality does too. People aren't going to part with their hard-earned cash unless a movie is a must-see for them. I think there is a definite quality-to-price discrepancy in the market today. Which is why this year has been so bad - most people would have to really want to see a movie in theatres to pay the high entrance fees, otherwise you can just wait a few months and see the movie for a lot less. It's worse for families - the cost of taking a family of four or five to see a kid's movies, plus popcorn/drinks is getting ridiculous - it's way cheaper just to buy the DVD when it comes out - and the kid's can watch it whenever they want.Personally, money isn't an issue, but even I balk at the $15 cost of a normal adult ticket (around $12 US). There were very few movies that came out this year that I wanted to see so much that I would pay that (+ $4 for a small drink).