#ED

Boyhood (2014)

Boyhood (2014)  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Boyhood (2014)

Okay, that's cool.  

But that's you.  Do you know how many people toil with finding something to do?  Especially creative types like photographers/artists.  It sometimes starts as a hobby, just something they enjoy doing to pass the time.  Then it becomes something more, something they want to do all the time.  

I mean yes, they could have just had him pick up a camera at one point and snap a picture.  But they didn't and it doesn't bother me one bit.

But a moment can be as small as a girl from his class who sees him taking photos and genuinely think he's good and tells him. It doesn't have to be an "ah ha" moment. 

• Like 1

A prime example is his "first" picture, we aren't even introduced to that photo until the very end. Then 2 minutes later his mom is like ahhh thats your first picture. Imagine if we saw him take that first picture? Or if we kept seeing that picture but didn't know the significance of it. The revel would be so much more impactful. 

• Like 1

A prime example is his "first" picture, we aren't even introduced to that photo until the very end. Then 2 minutes later his mom is like ahhh thats your first picture. Imagine if we saw him take that first picture? Or if we kept seeing that picture but didn't know the significance of it. The revel would be so much more impactful.

That's clearly the difference. I think the movie is perfectly fine as a showcase for all those small moments. You seem to want everything to have meaning and be impactful. That's just not what he was going for and it would have been an entirely different movie.
  • Like 2

Liked it a lot. The age transitions were seamless and you really felt the scope of adolescence. I'm not sure it's quite as profound as certain reviews think is, and there are some tonal inconsistencies (eg. his boss belonged in a completely different movie and the wicked stepdads personalities seemed to jump out of nowhere) but overall... see it and be absorbed.

• Like 1

Damn Jay has really put me off watching this movie. I always thought it was certain to get great reviews simply because it is a remarkable achievement, but it doesn't look or sound appealing to me at all.

Oh for god's sake. See it for yourself.
  • Like 8

Damn Jay has really put me off watching this movie. I always thought it was certain to get great reviews simply because it is a remarkable achievement, but it doesn't look or sound appealing to me at all.

Yeah you should still go see it. Even though Im right and everyone else is wrong its still an interesting film I that I think everyone should see.

• Like 1

i sort of expect to hate it, but i definitely want to see it. the only thing i've seen by linklater so far is school of rock, the nightmare of my childhood. :lol:

I saw you posted in this thread I was soooo excited! I was like Lisa didn't like it ether, high fiv....... oh 

• Like 3

I saw you posted in this thread I was soooo excited! I was like Lisa didn't like it ether, high fiv....... oh 

Lisa just makes movies to like something but hates every movie out there. Since Lisa works for a secret organization to destroy the film industry in all nations. 

• Like 1

Movie starts and the kid's watching Dragon Ball Z with all Dragon Ball Z shit in his room. knew I was gonna relate to this guy. Give this movie an A.

Admittedly I do think he becomes a less interesting presence as the film progresses, but I guess he's just awkward like every other teenager. Hawke and Patricia Arquette are pretty incredible in it, and I haven't heard enough about the actress playing the sister, who's also great.

The film doesn't have any grand statements to say on childhood or becoming a man or whatever, but it kinda shows what makes Linklater one of my favourites right now. the way he can make me uber invested in the little moments.

Oh, and part people in the cinema chuckled at: Ethan Hawke saying in like, 2008 that there's never gonna be another star wars. lmao.

• Like 10

Movie starts and the kid's watching Dragon Ball Z with all Dragon Ball Z shit in his room. knew I was gonna relate to this guy. Give this movie an A.

Admittedly I do think he becomes a less interesting presence as the film progresses, but I guess he's just awkward like every other teenager. Hawke and Patricia Arquette are pretty incredible in it, and I haven't heard enough about the actress playing the sister, who's also great.

The film doesn't have any grand statements to say on childhood or becoming a man or whatever, but it kinda shows what makes Linklater one of my favourites right now. the way he can make me uber invested in the little moments.

Oh, and part people in the cinema chuckled at: Ethan Hawke saying in like, 2008 that there's never gonna be another star wars. lmao.

The sister is Linklater's daughter!

• Like 2

Everyone is going nuts a out Patricia Arquette but I found her really really annoying and mono tone, most of the time she spoke its upset me. 

I felt like she was just going through the motions. 

that part where she's yelling at her daughter when she's dropping her off at school didn't really work. I was cringing at that. she's amazing through the rest though. Her last scene had me close to tearing up. had me thinking about my own mother.

• Like 2

that part where she's yelling at her daughter when she's dropping her off at school didn't really work. I was cringing at that. she's amazing through the rest though. Her last scene had me close to tearing up. had me thinking about my own mother.

That's why I'm thinking that this will actually relate to mothers as much if not more than 19-20 year men.

I tried really hard but I never connected with this movie at all. I cry in pretty much 85% of movies I've given an A too. This just didn't get me.

- Main kid never gets in a fight or true argument with his mom.

- No first kiss

- No first crush

- He never gets hurt psychically

- We never see hi fail at something

- We never seen him really succeed at anything ether really. 

And i will never ever give a movie an A if its supposed to be realistic but its not, huge tone issue. I went to high school not to long ago and middle school. Bullies only act that way in cheesy movies and people only get pressured to drink so poorly and stupidly in cheesy movies. Idk how this is deemed super realistic with scenes like that. 

I could go on, but I did like the last scene. This movie started as a B+ for me and slowly feel loosing a point every 10 minutes pretty much. 

Im more upset at the reaction, If this had a 78% I really wouldn't say much but i'm completely dumbfounded on how everyone doesn't  like it they love it so much. 

Edited by Jay Hollywood

I was only who chucked at that part during my showing. 

I tried really hard but I never connected with this movie at all. I cry in pretty much 85% of movies I've given an A too. This just didn't get me.

- Main kid never gets in a fight or true argument with his mom.

I can't remember ever getting into an argument or fight with my mom.

- No first kiss

My first kiss wasn't until after high school(yeah, tell me about it)

- No first crush

- He never gets hurt psychically

I never once went to the emergency for any kind of physical injury.  I have still never broken a bone to this day.

- We never see hi fail at something

- We never seen him really succeed at anything ether really. 

Again, with the big moments!  If that's all we see, then how is that really showing us anything?  If you want nothing but these moments it would then become a checklist of us waiting to see them.  Then, if you show some of those big moments like a first kiss, how do you decide which ones to show and which ones not to?

• Like 4