#ED

Boyhood (2014)

Boyhood (2014)  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Boyhood (2014)

- You have been in a fight with your mom or argument thats ludicrous to say other wise I don't me psychical. It can be as simple as wanted to go out but not being aloud too.

- Well his first kiss was in high school. They make it very clear that he has had sex with multiple partners. 

- I've never broken a bone ether. Again doesn't have to be an emergency room, it could be a scrape on his knee as a young buy. 

I want to feel something, I found this movie emotionless. You guys may find that hard to believe, but it was. I grew up with a single mother and had a sister growing up around this time and had all the same toys, heck I just left my own nest 8 months ago, yet I couldn't connect with it.  

its just one of those things I guess.

- You have been in a fight with your mom or argument thats ludicrous to say other wise I don't me psychical. It can be as simple as wanted to go out but not being aloud too.

I promise you I didn't.  My older sister was that kid.  I saw them getting into so many arguments I did whatever I could to not make them upset.  

- Well his first kiss was in high school. They make it very clear that he has had sex with multiple partners. 

Okay, so say they show his first kiss.  How does a kiss instantly make the movie better?  If we only get a little time each year, that would mean to get the full effect of it, you would have to devote that entire year to the set up, the girl, the moment, and then the kiss.  Otherwise, it's just a kiss.  

- I've never broken a bone ether. Again doesn't have to be an emergency room, it could be a scrape on his knee as a young buy. 

Again, you seem like you want so much from the movie that it would be impossible to see it all.  These are just snapshots at different ages.  

I want to feel something, I found this movie emotionless. You guys may find that hard to believe, but it was. I grew up with a single mother and had a sister growing up around this time and had all the same toys, heck I just left my own nest 8 months ago, yet I couldn't connect with it.  

My parents are still married, I grew up in a completely different time, neither of my parents drank or anything.  The only similarity I really share with him, is moving around Texas a bunch.  I don't have as much in common with him as you do, but the impact was still huge for me.

• Community Manager

I really wish the Arklight had added an intermission period.

Anyways a masterpiece and I loved it from like the first ten seconds on. My heart wanted it to last forever but my bladder was like "END THIS SHIT NOW" right around the time he graduated high school.

Anyways it's interesting the moments of Boyhood this movie chose to show: in many ways, it skips the "firsts" and in doing so, finds beauty in the moment. And it's easy to believe the movie's ultimate conclusion that you don't seize the moment, it seizes you: and it's always happening.

• Like 7

• Community Manager

Plus Before Midnight was my favorite movie of last year. It was perfect, I really wanted to like this movie. 

Yeah but you're not liking or disliking the movie due to it's own faults but because it didn't follow the story you wanted. You want a different movie and you didn't like it for that reason.

Basically all of your complaints have been "this movie should have hit this Hollywood moment and this Hollywood moment" and this movie was really an anti-thesis on Hollywood moments.

You're disconnected because you wanted the filmmakers to make the movie you wanted instead of the one they wanted.

• Like 7

Yeah but you're not liking or disliking the movie due to it's own faults but because it didn't follow the story you wanted. You want a different movie and you didn't like it for that reason.

Basically all of your complaints have been "this movie should have hit this Hollywood moment and this Hollywood moment" and this movie was really an anti-thesis on Hollywood moments.

You're disconnected because you wanted the filmmakers to make the movie you wanted instead of the one they wanted.

See you guys are wrong though, thats not what I wanted, its hard to explain but I found this movie less realistic, and I found tons of things chessy which didn't fit the *real life tone for me. Plus if you read all my posts I list plenty of other reason I didnt like the movie.  You don't get a C- for one decision. I find it to be a cartoonish melodrama. 

Its a werid combo, where I think its tone was off to me in all the scenes. 

End of the day, I found 3 or so scenes in this movie to be horrid. So even if the rest of the movie is great, if 3 individual scenes to me are a D, I can't give it a good grade. 

Edited by Jay Hollywood

It lives up to the hype. Maybe it's because I'm gonna be a dad in about a month or so, but this impacted me in a way no movie has in a very long time. What Richard Linklater has accomplished (filming a story of a family that spans 12 years and setting in real time by using the same actors over that time) is nothing short of remarkable. Ellar Coltrane and Lorelei Linklater (the director's daughter) may not be the most experienced actors, especially at the beginning, but that's exactly the point: we watch them grow up and become mature on camera, and it's pretty amazing (much more so than if the movie had been made in a more "conventional" manner with three different actors playing the parts). In the roles of mom and dad, Patricia Arquette and Ethan Hawke give some of the best work of their careers, and it's also fascinating to watch how they change over time. Because of the way the film was shot, we find plenty of references to pop culture and the changes that have occurred in society that mark what year is the story is taking place, from carefully chosen song selections to nods to everything from Harry Potter, the movies of summer 2008, and the Obama election. Is this a groundbreaking story that hasn't been told before? No, it most certainly isn't. But you've definitely never seen it done quite like this. A

• Like 3

But the point is that it's not the big moments in your life that make you, but the many small ones.

Yeah, I saw it and really have to disagree strongly.  The movie's biggest theme was that life isn't just a series of milestones, it's the daily interactions, it's the small moments, that are random and sporadic yet somehow still meld into a complete picture in the hindsight. 

The more I think about it, the more this movie was a solid A+ this year, my third so far. (Other two were the LEGO Movie and Snowpiercer, three completely different movies.  I can't really say which is my favorite because they are all so different)

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 4

My favorite line in the movie that stuck with me were the last words in Patricia Arquettes final scene "I just thought there'd be something more," after she rants about how she had saw life as a series of milestones.

It was very moving, and assuming she gets nominated (which she totally deserves), that'll be her Oscar scene.

• Like 3

If you like movies you should *probably* see this film. There's nothing like this that will probably be made again. The conversation alone about what being in this film has done for Ellar (and Lorelei) fosters such an engaging art-imitating-life-imitating-art discussion.

• Like 5

If you like movies you should *probably* see this film. There's nothing like this that will probably be made again. The conversation alone about what being in this film has done for Ellar (and Lorelei) fosters such an engaging art-imitating-life-imitating-art discussion.

Oh, silly me!  It's right there in your sig!

• Like 1

I also really hope Ellar Coltrane gets an Oscar nod for this, Patricia Arquette and Ethan Hawke should (at least I'd hope so), but a dedication of 12 years carrying this movie and being able to stay consistent throughout is very impressive.

Wow.

I can't even describe what I feel after this movie. I just re-lived portions of my life and I'm thinking about events and people I haven't thought of in years.

It's not a perfect movie. It runs a bit long and some of the actors aren't so great. But that's looking at the small bits. This movie took the small bits and made it into something big. That's kinda what life is.

Stunning. A small-span epic. The movie could've easily been titled "Life" and it would've been accurate.The best movie of the year - heck, the best movie I've had the privilege of ever seeing in theaters.

A++

• Like 3