Ash Skywalker

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials | In theaters

Woah really? Do you have a list of OS release dates by any chance? :)

We usually get movies 2 days before N. America but this one is a special case lol. It's 9 days.

I only saw it on a local site. I'll try to find a list of overseas release dates.

• Like 1

I would say $40m is a lock; $50m is but a distinct possibility.

Is $40m a lock though? I'm just not feeling the buzz. Despite tracking (we know just how poor that's been this summer) showing a possible $50m opening, I just feel it may underperform tracking. I won't be surprised if it was $35-40m and Black Mass overperforms and is #1 for that weekend.

Is $40m a lock though? I'm just not feeling the buzz. Despite tracking (we know just how poor that's been this summer) showing a possible $50m opening, I just feel it may underperform tracking. I won't be surprised if it was $35-40m and Black Mass overperforms and is #1 for that weekend.

First off, welcome to BOT! I can't see it going below 40M with more people having discovered this series but it probably won't do anything special. Black Mass overperforming is very possible.

• Like 1

Welcome to the Forums! :)

As for that weekend, I am pretty sure Scorch Trials wins by a healthy amount. For now, I'm expecting low to mid 40's for it, and low twenties for Black Mass. However, Black Mass overperforming is certainly a possibility, and I wouldn't be too surprised with $27-$30M.

• Like 1

The fact that Fox isn't trying to treat this franchise any differently in terms of marketing and public image because it happens to have a Twilight-esque "fandom" following that's typical of YA properties is a stroke of genius. I'm not seeing anything "typically" YA from Fox in the marketing and their decisions regarding the film - no pop artist soundtrack, no romantic pandering that's a total disconnect from the central story, no split of the third book - in short they're not perpetuating the "Twilight" stereotypes...they're making a YA film that's going against the grain of YA films, maybe that will help the genre not have as much stigma as it does. The first film's breakout and the fact that I'm seeing people who despise Twilight/Divergent (and even THG) excited for this is a good sign.

On the other hand Lionsgate did damage to The Hunger Games from the beginning...quite a big disconnect between the films' public image and the end product. They're improving, but damage was already done. (And the film makers didn't actually intend for THG to be "YA" anyway)

Edited by antovolk
  • Like 5

I doubt that Black Mass is going to be at number one and overperform by topping Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials i'm just not feeling the buzz for Johnny Depp playing a real life dangerous figure plus it's R Rating could hurt it a bit on the other hand i'm So feeling the buzz for The Maze Runner Sequel plus it's PG-13 and that's going to help it

Black Mass - $25M

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials - $58M

Edited by Red-Ops 9
  • Like 2

I'm happy this sequel is having international premieres unlike the first movie. Thomas Brodie-Sangster and Ki Hong Lee was in the South Korea premiere while Kaya Scodelario and Giancarlo Esposito was at the Brazilian premiere.

• Like 1

Updated my predicts:

Previews - $2.8M

Friday - $17.6M

Saturday - $18.1M

Sunday - $12.2M

Weekend: ($47.9M)

Domestic Total - $127.2M

Foreign - $307.5M

Worldwide - $434.7M

Budget: I'm guessing around $70-$75M for now

RT score: - All critics = 66%