Ash Skywalker

Silence | Dec 23rd (Limited), January (Wide) | Trailer on Page 11

apparently scorsese/schoonmaker consider it the final part of his "spiritual trilogy" which includes last temptation and kundun. those movies didn't make shit and another movie with that vibe won't make shit either.

but i feel like i'm downplaying this movie all the time when in reality i'm so excited. can't wait. :lol:

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 8

34 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

This should have no problem making triple digits if it's good. Will be a big curiosity factor. 

Maybe worldwide if it gets acclaim and sweeps the noms and is then lucky on top of that. With no Leo and no general thrills and adventure elements, I don't know what the hook would be for the GA.

Maybe worldwide if it gets acclaim and sweeps the noms and is then lucky on top of that. With no Leo and no general thrills and adventure elements, I don't know what the hook would be for the GA.

Scorsese three hour epic. I think people really overstate a long runtime as a negative.

8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

if there's one thing general audiences love, it's films about the persecution of jesuits in 17th century japan! they're their own genre at this point.

Perhaps Neeson's character is a reincarnation of his Jesuit from The Mission. Jesuit Cinematic Universe.

• Like 7

I just remember a lot of people saying similar things about a "3 hour, borderline NC-17 white collar satire" a few years ago

That "3 hour, borderline NC-17 white collar satire" had Leo though. Liam Neeson's a boss, but his presence does not guarantee $100M. I'll eat crow if you're right, but I only see Gangs of New York numbers as this movie's ceiling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I just remember a lot of people saying similar things about a "3 hour, borderline NC-17 white collar satire" a few years ago

I'm pretty sure Leo doing coke and having tons of sex for 3 hours sounds more enticing to the average moviegoer than 3 hours (at least the early cut is) of priests facing prosecution.

• Like 1

It opened to a $34 million 5-day, which wasn't bad but certainly you'd expect more if starpower were such a big factor. Word-of-mouth matters a lot more during the holiday season.

Point is if it's marketed as an awards bait event film it'll find that audience if it delivers

5 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

if there's one thing general audiences love, it's films about the persecution of jesuits in 17th century japan! they're their own genre at this point.

What if one of those Jesuit priests had a very particular set of skills.  Skills he's acquired over a very long career.  Skills that make him a nightmare for people like them.  And if they let those, err, Christians? Go now that'll be the end of it.  He will not look for them, he will not pursue them, but if they don't...he will look for them, he will find them and he will kill them.

$100M?

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

It opened to a $34 million 5-day, which wasn't bad but certainly you'd expect more if starpower were such a big factor. Word-of-mouth matters a lot more during the holiday season.

Point is if it's marketed as an awards bait event film it'll find that audience if it delivers

Even outside of the Leo factor Wolf of Wall Street benefited much more by its controversial "you gotta see this" raunchy word-of-mouth than from being an also-ran in the big oscar categories. Hugo and Gangs of New York had way bigger oscar buzz than WOWS but they weren't that succesfull. Silence sounds like a small and meditative film, 100m is A LOT to ask for. I think Hugo-Gangs of New York money will be great for it as long as it doesn't have a ridiculous budget.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Even outside of the Leo factor Wolf of Wall Street benefited much more by its controversial "you gotta see this" raunchy word-of-mouth than from being an also-ran in the big oscar categories. Hugo and Gangs of New York had way bigger oscar buzz than WOWS but they weren't that succesfull. Silence sounds like a small and meditative film, 100m is A LOT to ask for. I think Hugo-Gangs of New York money will be great for it as long as it doesn't have a ridiculous budget.

The budget is $51M, reportedly.

• Like 1