48 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I think you've made that clear. 

Also she deserves a great film career. She's superb in Orphan Black.

Indeed she does, she's a great human being too. I would think any role she gets after OB will be a walk in the park for her.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

Indeed she does, she's a great human being too. I would think any role she gets after OB will be a walk in the park for her.

She moved to L.A. recently, which was probably a wise career decision, and Stronger is his first film post OB, so I'd hope she'd get more film offers. Her upcoming projects list right now seem a bit empty right now unfortunately, though.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

She moved to L.A. recently, which was probably a wise career, and Stronger is his first film post OB, so I'd hope she'd get more film offers. Her upcoming projects list right now seem a bit empty right now unfortunately, though.

I'm sure she'll get a couple big films under her belt. Though she probably could retire on her OB money and be fine, she doesn't live extravagantly. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

I'm sure she'll get a couple big films under her belt. Though she probably could retire on her OB money and be fine, she doesn't live extravagantly. 

Yeah, I just hope she isn't "unemployed / lacking in projects" for too long periods. I like her presence and acting, and I'd like to see her in more films too.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

This is now at 98% on RT. I think it can do $3M+ this weekend being one of the first prestige-y movies of the fall to open.

I'm honestly shocked at how strong the reviews are. It didn't look awful or anything, but I expected it to be around the 70s on RT, but almost 100%? Instantly interested. Hopefully, I'll have the time to see it soon.

I don’t know how the director of 'Pineapple Express,' 'Your Highness, and 'The Sitter' pull an ultimate Adam McKay and surprise the hell out of everyone with what he can truly do as a director, but he did. 

Earlier this year, there was a film called Patriots Day which was about the tragic events of the Boston Marathon Bombing in 2013. This may be the second consecutive year where a film centered on events of the Boston Marathon Bombing end up on my best movie of the year list, and I don’t know how to feel about that.

'Stronger' is not one of those dramas with a story that tells, “through his many losses, one man still found hope,” for it is a deep character driven film that shows even when the worst travesties can happen to a person, that person would still be the same person as before. It's one of those films that boldly expresses that some people aren't subjected to change, and that is one of the most human qualities a film can have.  You barely see that level of realism of how messy a person's life can be in modern biopics nowadays. There are some scenes where I forget that I’m watching a movie but a tragic character study.

This may be Maslany’s first major film role, and she deserves every accolade that you know she's bound to be nominated for.  Maslany brings a ton of emotion as her character, Erin is the one who helps Jeff get on the right track to becoming better as both a person and back on track for his life.  Just like Orphan Black, she can be sweet one second and then take no shit in the next. It's so distressing to see how far she goes with Jeff as you see her go from square three to square one numerous of times. You get hints of how their relationship was prior to the film’s opening. While you think, “ Oh he can’t be that bad as a boyfriend,” you see how poorly he treats her that you believe that even if his legs were still attached, he would've still been the same person regardless. She is the only thoroughly likable character who is the voice of reason, and at times you resonate with her more than Jeff, and he’s the one who is in a wheelchair without any legs.

But seriously if Gyllenhaal doesn't get an Oscar nomination for his performance, I’m going to kick someone’s ass.

https://rendyreviews.com/movies//stronger-review

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rjones1325 said:

I don’t know how the director of 'Pineapple Express,' 'Your Highness, and 'The Sitter' pull an ultimate Adam McKay and surprise the hell out of everyone with what he can truly do as a director, but he did. 

I mean, his first film is in the Criterion collection; this isn't out of his wheelhouse.